PDA

View Full Version : Technical changes to the Uwharrie Commission - SB76 - No

GunnyFreedom
03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO MAKE TECHNICAL AND CLARIFYING CHANGES TO THE INDUSTRIAL FACILITIES SALES TAX REFUND, A TECHNICAL CORRECTION TO THE MEMBERSHIP COUNT OF THE UWHARRIE COMMISSION, TO PROVIDE INTEREST ON OVERPAYMENT OF PROPERTY TAX, AND TO PROVIDE DELAY OF THE COLLECTION OF PROPERTY TAX PENDING APPEAL.

While I appreciate the precise title on this bill Mr Speaker, I must protest that the title of the bill is not actually what it does. I see the revision awarding interest on tax returns, but the primary purpose of this bill appears to be adding a pulp mill and a turbine engine manufacturer to the lists of awardees, and also removing some computer industries from a list of beneficiaries. That being the case then I must object on principle.

Bringing high tech engines and a renewable industry into the state is commendable, but it's being done the wrong way. Our State has tremendous resources that any rational businessman would want to be a part of, but so long as the State legislature gets to pick and choose the winners and the losers, then businesses will continue to look at our state like an economic minefield.

Make the environment safe for everybody, and lower the barriers to market entry. Provide a sound standard of commerce, and business will feel safe to come to North Carolina, and it will give them a place to stay.

SENATE BILL 76*
Finance Committee Substitute Adopted 2/23/11
Short Title: TC: Eligibility: Indus Facil/Fix Uwharrie Com.

February 16, 2011

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO MAKE TECHNICAL AND CLARIFYING CHANGES TO THE INDUSTRIAL FACILITIES SALES TAX REFUND, A TECHNICAL CORRECTION TO THE MEMBERSHIP COUNT OF THE UWHARRIE COMMISSION, TO PROVIDE INTEREST ON OVERPAYMENT OF PROPERTY TAX, AND TO PROVIDE DELAY OF THE COLLECTION OF PROPERTY TAX PENDING APPEAL.

The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1.(a) G.S. 105‑164.14B(a) reads as rewritten:

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011%20%20&BillID=s76