PDA

View Full Version : BUSTED! Brittish SAS Captured by Rebel Forces in Libya

coastie
03-06-2011, 11:06 AM
British Troops Sent to 'Offer Help' After Repeated Warnings Against Foreign Meddling
by Jason Ditz, March 05, 2011

Sometimes no really means no.

That’s what the British military learned today when, after a solid week of Libyan rebel leaders insisting that they didn’t want any foreign intervention in the ongoing efforts to oust long-time dictator Moammar Gadhafi, they decided a great idea would be to dispatch a unit of their special forces, the SAS, to Benghazi to “offer help.”
...full article at link.

http://news.antiwar.com/2011/03/05/libyan-rebels-capture-british-sas-unit/

Words escape me at the moment.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/facepalm_implied.jpg

Aratus
03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
!!!

Dr.3D
03-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I keep hearing in the news, that the rebels want a no fly zone to be imposed on Libya. If that isn't intervention, I don't know what is.

olehounddog
03-06-2011, 11:17 AM
their being held hostage?:rolleyes: per Al jazeera Live
Some reports say they have been released.

raiha
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Too many James Bonds in this world and they are not always on the side of the angels. I believe the revolutionaries (not too keen on the label rebels, in this instance) showed restraint not shooting them, with their fake passports, espionage equipment, and weapons. They were not just going there for a wee chat. Idiots. Cracked troops.

fisharmor
03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
This doesn't fit the narrative.
Local people deciding their own fates, without armed input from a far-away nabob who has no actual interest in the happenings of said locality?
This is the sort of thing that is going to get the internet censored. Can't have Americans learning they could live this way as well.

coastie
03-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Since it's relevant, I found this buried in bullet format "other developments" (i.e. nothing to see here) in an article at this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12658405

An eight-strong British diplomatic team who were detained near the rebel stronghold of Benghazi have been freed. The team, thought to include six SAS members, was found carrying guns, explosives and passports from four countries. It had reportedly been trying to put UK diplomats in touch with the rebel leadership

Wonder if they got to keep their guns and explosives?:rolleyes: By in touch with the rebel leadership, do they mean arming them, or was this a hit team?

Why go through the trouble and risk just to bring what I would imagine being a limited amount of equipment (in the grand scheme of things)?

This is getting ugly fast, France and the Brits are already drooling at a no fly zone and pestering the UN about one, lurking on certain commentary sections about Libya is really fucking depressing, "bomb them" "rah rah team america, fuck yeah" type shit, with nobody recognizing that the Libyans neither want, nor need, our "help".

raiha
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Some Libyans (if you follow on twitter) are begging for humanitarian help...they have no blood, no analgesics, nowhere to keep the wounded safely, given Gaddafi likes to storm the hospitals and massacre the inhabitants. But no, they don't want black clothed yobbos coming in big military helicopters taking over their revolutionary operations.

jdowns
03-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Some Libyans (if you follow on twitter) are begging for humanitarian help...they have no blood, no analgesics, nowhere to keep the wounded safely, given Gaddafi likes to storm the hospitals and massacre the inhabitants. But no, they don't want black clothed yobbos coming in big military helicopters taking over their revolutionary operations.

It's the tweets that are suspect. Only a few tweets made such a claim while the actual hospitals did not. What would be the reason for a government to murder everyone in a hospital? It's the same as J Lynch.

raiha
03-06-2011, 10:10 PM
It's the tweets that are suspect. Only a few tweets made such a claim while the actual hospitals did not. What would be the reason for a government to murder everyone in a hospital? It's the same as J Lynch.
On various news channels: Al Jazeera, BBC the massacres were reported by Doctors working there at the time. Sounded pretty convincing to moi! Madmen don't have reasons!!!