PDA

View Full Version : Resistance

kherty
10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Our meetup assembled outside of a Starbucks tonight....only to be asked to leave by their management. It was a peaceful get together, but it was somewhat disappointing. Although, afterwards, I felt somewhat exhilarated as it is the first time I've ever been asked to leave anywhere!

We setup in the parking lot of a shopping center and had a good crowd. We had people looking at us with curiosity, passed out some slim jims, and had some good talks.

We even had a reporter stop by and take pictures.

Anyway, has anybody else encountered any resistance when assembling?

NewEnd
10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
I hope none of you bought lattes.

:confused:

Brinck Slattery
10-23-2007, 10:11 PM
indeed I have, at Borders. The best thing to do is call up beforehand and tell them that you are planning a meeting (be non-specific) and that you'd like to do it at their store. Make sure that everyone buys something, and they're usually pretty cool.

Dustancostine
10-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Yea what was there reason for asking you to leave?

jonahtrainer
10-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Our meetup assembled outside of a Starbucks tonight....only to be asked to leave by their management. It was a peaceful get together, but it was somewhat disappointing. Although, afterwards, I felt somewhat exhilarated as it is the first time I've ever been asked to leave anywhere!

We setup in the parking lot of a shopping center and had a good crowd. We had people looking at us with curiosity, passed out some slim jims, and had some good talks.

We even had a reporter stop by and take pictures.

Anyway, has anybody else encountered any resistance when assembling?

It is good to let them know what you intend to do. We have our Monthly Meetups at a Grill. They don't seem to mind because 120+ people come and eat a bunch of food. For an otherwise slow Tuesday night I am sure they see a 'Ron Paul bump' in sales.

Bad idea for Starbucks .... all you Meetup Organizers out there Starbucks cannot be trusted as a venue for your events so don't hold them there and don't buy their stuff.

kherty
10-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure if the organizer called in advance, but I was told we are having it at another venue next time and we will be asking for permission.

I did happen to buy a Venti latte.....and a piece of banana bread. *sigh* :mad: