PDA

View Full Version : Judge Nopalitano caught contradicting himself on the Daily Show [video]

Dave Aiello
03-05-2011, 03:38 AM
If you're familiar with the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, you're familiar with the "moment of zen" at the end of each show. Today's show showed the Judge first praising governors for going against union contracts, and then 2 years ago saying "when the government gets involved with contracts, then nobody's liberty or property is safe.." or something like that.

Here's the vid: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-3-2011/moment-of-zen---public-employee-union-vs--wall-street-bonus-contracts

Reactionary
03-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Today's show showed the Judge first praising governors for going against union contracts, and then 2 years ago saying "when the government gets involved with contracts, then nobody's liberty or property is safe.."

I dont see the contradiction

Doug8796
03-05-2011, 03:59 AM
One is state and one is federal

liberateliberty
03-05-2011, 04:07 AM
I also don't see the contradiction.

hazek
03-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Watched it twice, still can't see the contradiction.

IDefendThePlatform
03-05-2011, 05:08 AM
There is no contradiction, IMO. In the first clip he is praising government for not negotiating with public employee unions. In the second he is criticizing the government for interfering with the interaction between 2 private businesses. At least, thats what I got from it, without having seen anything other than that 3 second clip.

This is a big part of why our government is so messed up, cuz people don't bother to make the distinction between tax-funded work and private sector work. Everything gets called a "right".

If you get paid by a coercive means (ie Tax dollars) then at a minimum you have to put up with those coercive means being turned on you as well.

The real solution is to get the government out of the education business.

EndDaFed
03-05-2011, 07:06 AM
One is state and one is federal

Well they are both state now considering the bailouts of 2008. Given that banks are part of the fractional reserve system they are more like creatures of the state than truly private ones. I'm totally fine with the government limiting executive pay on banks that accepted tarp money or the secret funds from the federal reserve that total in the tens of trillions.

nobody's_hero
03-05-2011, 07:24 AM
No contradiction.

RforRevolution
03-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Wait, did anyone else here that Rand Paul will be in the studio?! Did I hear that correctly @ 0.02?

RforRevolution
03-05-2011, 07:41 AM
thedailyshow.com
March 7, 2011
Rand Paul
Senator (R-KY) and Author, "The Tea Party Goes To Washington"
Buy his book
Visit his website
The senator discusses his efforts to bring America back to its constitutional roots.

From the dailyshow website.

cswake
03-05-2011, 08:15 AM
The Judge should head to the Daily Show and educate the audience (and Jon Stewart) on the difference between public and private unions.

Stary Hickory
03-05-2011, 08:26 AM
This is starting to crack me up seriously, every day some kind of stealth pro union post here. The Judge did not contradict himself. It is true that the government has no business negotiating contracts between two persons. The unions have been using the government to their benefit in this regards for years. That is why they are freaking evil now.

However it is totally insane to say that when the government is one of the two entities which the contract concerns that they may not negotiate terms....it's insane. Of course they can when the government is the employer they can offer whatever terms they want for employees. and likewise employees may do the same.

BarryDonegan
03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
If you're familiar with the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, you're familiar with the "moment of zen" at the end of each show. Today's show showed the Judge first praising governors for going against union contracts, and then 2 years ago saying "when the government gets involved with contracts, then nobody's liberty or property is safe.." or something like that.

Here's the vid: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-3-2011/moment-of-zen---public-employee-union-vs--wall-street-bonus-contracts

Government getting involved in private contracts is different than a government singing a contract as a party. Obviously the government should get involved in contracts to which it is a party by reading it and signing it like any other party. This videoclip basically demonstrates that writers at the Daily Show don't understand what is meant by someone saying the government shouldn't get involved in contracts. Obviously it doesn't mean that the government should never be bound by a contract or other agreement to which it is a party.

matt0611
03-05-2011, 11:28 AM
This is starting to crack me up seriously, every day some kind of stealth pro union post here. The Judge did not contradict himself. It is true that the government has no business negotiating contracts between two persons. The unions have been using the government to their benefit in this regards for years. That is why they are freaking evil now.

However it is totally insane to say that when the government is one of the two entities which the contract concerns that they may not negotiate terms....it's insane. Of course they can when the government is the employer they can offer whatever terms they want for employees. and likewise employees may do the same.

+1

Its amazing how many people cannot grasp this simple concept.

Leibowitz is a moron.