The Incredible Bread Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycGRERrGsMo

April1775
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM
The Incredible Bread Machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycGRERrGsMo

Matt Collins
03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
What's it about? And why is it outstanding?

April1775
03-04-2011, 12:24 AM
What's it about?

That's a pretty silly question. If you watched even a little of it, you'd know. If you watched a minute near the start, middle and end of most 30-minute videos you'd grok enough not ask something like that.

But since you seem to want me to do things for you, it's about the immortality of police overstepping bounds, the IRS raiding non-aggressive people and stealing their stuff, and lot of other liberty topics. The people who made it are also in it, as themselves, which is interesting. It ends with a sort of image poem about a brilliant inventor who invents a bread making factory that can feed the whole world for a fraction of the current cost, but by the time the government is done taxing and regulating him, the bread is the normal price, and people still starve.

(the movie is based on a poem of the same name "The Incredible Bread Machine")

And why is it outstanding?

Again, if you'd looked at a tiny bit of it......It's outstanding because it's very well done, it's poignant, and it feels like it could have been made today (how many truly libertarian films can we name from the 70s?). And it's kind of cool that the people in it look like total hippies who seem like they would be saying "everything should be free! Work is oppression" and "Down with capitalism!" but instead they're talking in a very cogent manner about self-ownership, responsibility, and Austrian Economics.

hard@work
03-04-2011, 12:29 AM
But since you seem to want me to do things for you

This really wasn't necessary, was it? :-/

April1775
03-04-2011, 12:29 AM
The director is good and interesting too:

Theo Kamecke (born October 18, 1937) is a sculptor, who previously worked as a film director during the 1960s and 1970s. Kamecke's best known film is Moonwalk One - a NASA commissioned documentary feature film to cover their Apollo 11 mission in the summer of 1969. Theo's other influential films included The Incredible Bread Machine Film, and To Be Alive, which he worked as a film editor on. Since the 1980s, Theo has worked as a sculptor, working in the medium of early electronic circuits. His work has been purchased by film director James Cameron.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Kamecke

April1775
03-04-2011, 12:31 AM
This really wasn't necessary.

I don't think so, it's kind of the same thing as pointing people to google or wikipedia when they ask something like "what's libertarianism mean?" I've seen that done on forums and people don't think it's rude.

But for what it's worth, once I got going, I didn't mind answering those questions. I'm pretty passionate about this film. I apologize if I came off as curt.

dannno
03-04-2011, 12:43 AM
I don't think so, it's kind of the same thing as pointing people to google or wikipedia when they ask something like "what's libertarianism mean?" I've seen that done on forums and people don't think it's rude.

But for what it's worth, once I got going, I didn't mind answering those questions. I'm pretty passionate about this film. I apologize if I came off as curt.

Do you know who Matt Collins is?!

THIS is Matt Collins: :collins:

He has his own emoticon!! He's a busy guy!! Busy.. not shaking bailout politician's hands, taking pictures with liberty celebs, doing sound work, etc.. and he accesses the forum on his smartphone most of the time, so watching the video might not be conducive in that environment.

muzzled dogg
03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Do u not know who I am? I'm the juggernaut bitch

April1775
03-04-2011, 12:49 AM
I wondered what that icon was. I thought it was a young Murray Rothbard.
And I already apologized, sincerely.

If he'd said "I'm on a cell phone and can't watch video" I would have certainly explained, no problem. A really cool lady I know, MamaLiberty, would always say "what's the video about? I'm on dial-up and can't watch it" whenever I posted any videos on a forum we're on, and I would always explain it, no problem.

April1775
03-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Do u not know who I am? I'm the juggernaut bitch

Respect mah Authoritah!

Matt Collins
03-04-2011, 01:15 AM
No need to get cranky and weird yall.

The reason I asked is because your thread title and the post itself lent nothing to describe the film. The time index is 55 minutes on the video it appears. I don't have an hour to sit around try every "cool" video someone happens to post. But if you are more descriptive next time, then I might be more apt to take a chance, myself included.

That being said, I'm going to download it and watch it when I have time.

April1775
03-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Cool. I will take more time with a description next time. I was feeling like "THIS IS SO COOL I CAN'T BELIEVE EVERYONE HASN'T SEEN IT!" and just forgot that folks aren't psychic. lol...

roho76
03-04-2011, 01:46 AM

The reason I asked is because your thread title and the post itself lent nothing to describe the film. The time index is 55 minutes on the video it appears. I don't have an hour to sit around try every "cool" video someone happens to post. But if you are more descriptive next time, then I might be more apt to take a chance, myself included.

That being said, I'm going to download it and watch it when I have time.

The Collins resides inside himself.

akforme
03-04-2011, 02:10 AM
I wondered what that icon was. I thought it was a young Murray Rothbard.
And I already apologized, sincerely.

If he'd said "I'm on a cell phone and can't watch video" I would have certainly explained, no problem. A really cool lady I know, MamaLiberty, would always say "what's the video about? I'm on dial-up and can't watch it" whenever I posted any videos on a forum we're on, and I would always explain it, no problem.

I like them because I'm on satellite and my transfer amount is very limed and I have to choose what I want to watch since YT averages about 3 megs per min.

April1775
03-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Cool. Will do better description in the future.

Come to think of it, I rarely click on anything that says "THIS IS COOL! CHECK IT OUT!" lol...

MWD

dannno
03-04-2011, 10:43 AM
This film is actually really good.. They have some debates in there that are almost word for word the same debates that I have with some of my progressive friends today, and this film is from back in 1975!

April1775
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
This film is actually really good.. They have some debates in there that are almost word for word the same debates that I have with some of my progressive friends today, and this film is from back in 1975!

I think that was what struck me most about it....HIP libertarianism from so long ago....as opposed to dry treatises by economists that I think of from that time.

hard@work
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM

I disagree. A moment to get both cranky and weird should never be wasted.

Just kidding.

That said the video is 55 mins long, a quick description for movies of that length always helps us slower people who have link clicking impairments. I love the opening so far - destroying the notion that economics is too complex for "normal" people to understand is always a good work. Apparently the guy doing the introduction was a Nixon man, interesting bio. Reminds me of how much history so many of us have lost but how amazing it is that it can be re-discovered with a few clicks.

Going to watch the rest this morning if I can.

April1775
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I disagree. A moment to get both cranky and weird should never be wasted.

When I get occasionally cranky, just assume this old fart hasn't had enough fiber that day.

I love the opening so far - destroying the notion that economics is too complex for "normal" people to understand is always a good work. Apparently the guy doing the introduction was a Nixon man, interesting bio. Reminds me of how much history so many of us have lost but how amazing it is that it can be re-discovered with a few clicks.

Yup. It's a lost jem that should be re-discovered more.

WilliamShrugged
03-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I saw it a month ago and liked it. I just think its hard for younger liberals to want to watch something so old looking. We need a updated version.

April1775
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
destroying the notion that economics is too complex for "normal" people to understand is always a good work.

I maintain that the basics of economics is incredibly simple. A competently home schooled 12 year old probably has a better understanding of economics than the people currently running our country. Because the people running our country understand it WRONG. No matter how deeply they understand that wrong version, it's still wrong.

April1775
03-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I saw it a month ago and liked it. I just think its hard for younger liberals to want to watch something so old looking. We need a updated version.

The updated version is in my sigline. At least that's what a 70-year-old agorist hippie told me. He's the one who turned me on to "The Incredible Bread Machine."

fisharmor
03-04-2011, 12:14 PM
but instead they're talking in a very cogent manner about self-ownership, responsibility, and Austrian Economics.

Milton Friedman was not an Austrian.
Quote: "The Hayek-Mises explanation of the business cycle is contradicted by the evidence. It is, I believe, false."

Rothbard on Friedman:
"Milton Friedman is the Establishment’s Court Libertarian, and it is high time that libertarians awaken to this fact of life."
http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard43.html

The movie is great, but let's not get carried away here.
His son David has interesting things to day, too, and he's one of the apologists for anarcho-capitalism.

TheeJoeGlass
03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
That's a pretty silly question. If you watched even a little of it, you'd know. If you watched a minute near the start, middle and end of most 30-minute videos you'd grok enough not ask something like that.

But since you seem to want me to do things for you, it's about the immortality of police overstepping bounds, the IRS raiding non-aggressive people and stealing their stuff, and lot of other liberty topics. The people who made it are also in it, as themselves, which is interesting. It ends with a sort of image poem about a brilliant inventor who invents a bread making factory that can feed the whole world for a fraction of the current cost, but by the time the government is done taxing and regulating him, the bread is the normal price, and people still starve.

(the movie is based on a poem of the same name "The Incredible Bread Machine")

Again, if you'd looked at a tiny bit of it......It's outstanding because it's very well done, it's poignant, and it feels like it could have been made today (how many truly libertarian films can we name from the 70s?). And it's kind of cool that the people in it look like total hippies who seem like they would be saying "everything should be free! Work is oppression" and "Down with capitalism!" but instead they're talking in a very cogent manner about self-ownership, responsibility, and Austrian Economics.

I refuse to watch random videos, I need a reason to watch.

hard@work
03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
The young people student types discussion / debates are so canned it kills me. If we get an up to date version, I hope it has some real life passion. Still a great find.

dannno
03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Milton Friedman was not an Austrian.
Quote: "The Hayek-Mises explanation of the business cycle is contradicted by the evidence. It is, I believe, false."

Rothbard on Friedman:
"Milton Friedman is the Establishment’s Court Libertarian, and it is high time that libertarians awaken to this fact of life."
http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard43.html

The movie is great, but let's not get carried away here.
His son David has interesting things to day, too, and he's one of the apologists for anarcho-capitalism.

What in the movie contradicted Austrian economics?

The whole thing sounded very much like Rothbard/Mises.

fisharmor
03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
What in the movie contradicted Austrian economics?

The whole thing sounded very much like Rothbard/Mises.

I'm running it again to make sure, but I don't remember anything being said about monetary freedom (which leads to the monetarist support of the Fed), I don't remember anything being said about the business cycle, I don't remember any arguments in favor of economics as a logical as opposed to empirical science, and now that I've made it through the credits, the introduction flat out states that it's Chicago school.

Even Keynesians and Austrians can find common ground - for instance, both agree that we ought to have money. The fact that Monetarists and Austrians have common ground should not encourage us to go further down the monetarist path than, frankly, this film.