PDA

View Full Version : Georgia House passes Arizona-style bill aimed at illegal immigration

RonPaulFanInGA
03-03-2011, 09:57 PM
http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/house-passes-arizona-style-859989.html

Georgia’s House followed Arizona’s lead Thursday, convincingly passing stringent new legislation targeting illegal immigrants and those who harbor them here.

By a largely party-line vote of 113-56, the Republican-controlled chamber approved House Bill 87, also called the Illegal Immigration Reform and Enforcement Act of 2011.

The 22-page bill now moves to the Senate, where a committee endorsed a similar but shorter measure Wednesday. Republican Gov. Nathan Deal campaigned last year on curbing illegal immigration in Georgia, but he has not yet taken a position on the House and Senate bills.

Like the groundbreaking law Arizona enacted last year, HB 87 would authorize state and local police to verify the immigration status of certain suspects.

BamaAla
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Alabama is going to follow suit soon.

kah13176
03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I live in Georgia. Why haven't I heard about this...?

+rep to Georgia's house.

nobody's_hero
03-04-2011, 03:50 AM
I live in Georgia. Why haven't I heard about this...?

+rep to Georgia's house.

You haven't heard about this because everyone thinks it's 'racist' (or at least, smears it as such) and even some Georgia republicans are embarrassed by it, ridiculing others for wanting to do anything about immigration, or saying that it is Congress's responsibility which means they don't want or plan on seeing anything done about immigration.

realtonygoodwin
03-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Good for GA!

April1775
03-04-2011, 06:27 AM
In my libertarian paradise, borders would be pretty much open. But until the freebies (for everyone, not just for "outsiders") are gone, I'm in favor of bills like this, as stopgap economic self-defense.

kah13176
03-04-2011, 06:53 PM
In my libertarian paradise, borders would be pretty much open. But until the freebies (for everyone, not just for "outsiders") are gone, I'm in favor of bills like this, as stopgap economic self-defense.

This. Also, government is charged with protecting our rights to life, liberty, and property. There should be closed borders to the extent that there should be some background checks in place to make sure we aren't letting Al Qaeda or serial killers into our homeland. Just a simple background check; other than that, if freebies were eliminated, then we should have more or less open borders.

eduardo89
03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Good!

eduardo89
03-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Here's a link to the bill if anyone is interested

http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2011_12/fulltext/hb87.htm

The Illegal Immigration Reform and Enforcement Act of 2011, which the state House of Representatives passed Thursday by a 113-56 vote, calls for:

Authorizing state and local police to verify the immigration status of certain suspects.
Punishing certain people who knowingly transport or harbor illegal immigrants.
Requiring many private employers to verify their newly hired employees are eligible to work in the United States.
Empowering people to sue local and state government officials who don't enforce existing state laws aimed at illegal immigration.
Penalizing people who "willfully and fraudulently" use fake identification to get a job in Georgia.