PDA

View Full Version : The Eclipse of Ben Bernanke

low preference guy
03-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Great article about Ron Paul from the NY Sun.

It’s a sign of the times that the chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, Ben Bernanke, testified before the House Financial Services Committee yesterday and the part of the hearing that everyone wanted to know about is what was said by Congressman Ron Paul.

Link (http://www.nysun.com/editorials/the-eclipse-of-ben-bernanke/87250/)

They consistently write positive articles about Ron Paul. I also noticed that The Hill has been positive in their articles about Ron Paul lately. The overall coverage of Ron I think is much more positive than 4 years ago.

Bruno
03-03-2011, 09:54 PM
The ship is turning!

low preference guy
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Another positive article:

Ron Paul: Iraq Is A ‘Total Failure,’ Saddam Hussein Was ‘More Tolerant’ Of Religion (http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ron-paul-iraq-is-a-total-failure-saddam-hussein-was-more-tolerant-of-religion/)

[I]f he does decide to run for President again, Paul’s inclusion in another round of primary debates would certainly guarantee there’s never a dull moment.

Lucille
03-03-2011, 10:48 PM
That was really good. One of the best I've read on it.

The reason people are more interested in what he has to say is that it is Dr. Paul who has the deeper understanding of our national predicament.

This was illuminated in in an exchange yesterday in which Dr. Paul asked the chairman of the Fed, which issues the currency notes Americans are required to accept in payment of debts, what was his definition of a dollar. Forgive us, but we’ve been waiting for years to hear that question asked of a Fed chairman the way Dr. Paul put it. And Mr. Bernanke walked right into it. “My definition of the dollar is what it can buy. Consumers don't want to buy gold. They want to buy food and gasoline and clothes and all the other things that are in the consumer basket.”

If the Founders of America had been on the Committee, why, they might well have had the chairman arrested on the spot and brought up for contempt. They were fairly obsessed with the dangers of paper money, and they had a clear idea of the meaning of money. When, in the Constitution, they delegated to the Congress the power to coin money, they did so in the same sentence in which they also delegated to Congress the power to fix the standard of weights and measures. When, in the Second Congress, they exercised the coinage power, they defined a dollar in plain language — 371 ¼ grains of silver, or the equivalent in gold.

...But for Mr. Bernanke to appear before Congress in a week in which the value of the dollar plunged to the lowest point in its history, meaning a week in which the price of an ounce of gold has risen to its highest nominal price in history, and assert that consumers don’t want to buy gold, well, it’s just breath-taking. Marie Antoinette, telephonez votre bureau.
[...]
But by our lights it is no small thing that the congressman who has watched this issue the most closely in the past 30 years and who is now chairman of the subcommittee that oversees the Fed is prepared to walk out of a hearing at which the chairman of the Fed has been testifying and go on television to question, in essence, whether the chairman who has just testified has been giving the Congress the straight story.