PDA

View Full Version : US military / fake personae on Facebook and Twitter

Carson
03-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I saw this one on Fark.com (http://www.fark.com/).

Fark headline;

US military spends millions on software for manipulating fake personae on Facebook and Twitter

Actual headline;

Exclusive: Military’s ‘persona’ software cost millions, used for ‘classified social media activities’

Most people use social media like Facebook and Twitter to share photos of friends and family, chat with friends and strangers about random and amusing diversions, or follow their favorite websites, bands and television shows.

But what does the US military use those same networks for? Well, we can't tell you: That's "classified," a CENTCOM spokesman recently informed Raw Story.

One use that's confirmed, however, is the manipulation of social media through the use of fake online "personas" managed by the military. Raw Story recently reported that the US Air Force had solicited private sector vendors for something called "persona management software." Such a technology would allow single individuals to command virtual armies of fake, digital "people" across numerous social media portals.

These "personas" were to have detailed, fictionalized backgrounds, to make them believable to outside observers, and a sophisticated identity protection service was to back them up, preventing suspicious readers from uncovering the real person behind the account. They even worked out ways to game geolocating services, so these "personas" could be virtually inserted anywhere in the world, providing ostensibly live commentary on real events, even while the operator was not really present.

When Raw Story first reported on the contract for this software, it was unclear what the Air Force wanted with it or even if it had been acquired. The potential for misuse, however, was abundantly clear.

A fake virtual army of people could be used to help create the impression of consensus opinion in online comment threads, or manipulate social media to the point where valuable stories are suppressed.

Ultimately, this can have the effect of causing a net change to the public's opinions and understanding of key world events.

'Classified social media activities'

According to Commander Bill Speaks, the chief media officer of CENTCOM's d

Snip...

Link to the story;

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/22/exclusive-militarys-persona-software-cost-millions-used-for-classified-social-media-activities/

Link to the Fark comments:

http://www.fark.com/comments/6004900/US-military-spends-millions-on-software-for-manipulating-fake-personae-on-Facebook-Twitter

sevin
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I posted this story on FB and have been telling people about it but no one seems to care.

Bruno
03-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I posted this story on FB and have been telling people about it but no one seems to care.

ditto

Carson
03-03-2011, 11:00 PM

I got a feeling the tone of the Internet message boards changed a while back. I think I've been noticing floods of opposition that wasn't there before and also a lot of post that seem to change the conversation when it is going on something enlightening. Also post that not only interrupt threads but push the content out of sight.

Then again I could have hallucinated it all or it could have just been the way it was and nothing to do with this topic.