PDA

View Full Version : My "mom and pop" store experience.

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I haven't played video games in a long time. When I was younger I used to go to this local game/music store where you buy/trade used games, but it was privately owned by a small family, not a corporation like gamestop or what not.

I just went back for the first time in nearly a decade and bought some games there. Surprisingly they were even cheaper than the competition, largely because of not having to hire many workers and give the CEO his 75% cut I'd imagine.

Anyway, it was the first time in a long while I was able to shop somewhere without being treated like a criminal. It's also the first time in a long while I could talk to a person working somewhere without them sounding annoyed or having a poor attitude towards life itself.

Well that's it really, today was a good day!

specsaregood
03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Anyway, it was the first time in a long while I was able to shop somewhere without being treated like a criminal. It's also the first time in a long while I could talk to a person working somewhere without them sounding annoyed or having a poor attitude towards life itself.

You must give off a bad impression to people. I don't generally have such problems, people are courteous and helpful to me at large corporate chain stores.

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-03-2011, 06:44 PM
You must give off a bad impression to people. I don't generally have such problems, people are courteous and helpful to me at large corporate chain stores.
I live in New Jersey

specsaregood
03-03-2011, 06:45 PM
//

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-03-2011, 06:47 PM
As do I. So it must be you. Wait, are you a person of color?

No. Why? LOL

specsaregood
03-03-2011, 06:50 PM
No. Why? LOL

Dunno, thought you might have been shopping while black or perhaps......orange. :)
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/ob/GuidoOompa.jpg

That might prejudice some clerks from helping you.

Flash
03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Cool story. Although I never noticed that big of a difference when going in Gamestop or locally-owned video game stores. I blame the rising costs of games mainly on the major console gaming companies, which are charging more & more for games with each new generation. The new DS is going to charge something like 40 bucks per game. It's one of the reasons I may just buy a new computer and start playing 8-bit games like MineCraft and take a break from console gaming for a while.

I just went back for the first time in nearly a decade and bought some games there. Surprisingly they were even cheaper than the competition, largely because of not having to hire many workers and give the CEO his 75% cut I'd imagine.

kpitcher
03-04-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm actually surprised there are still small electronic mom and pop stores that haven't been crushed by the chains. I'm in the rustbelt and most of the small towns are predominantly empty storefronts. I know the parents closed their hardware store after a lowes and a home depot opened up 10 miles away. It seems like mostly the niche style stores are the ones left standing.

ivflight
03-04-2011, 09:11 AM
I haven't played video games in a long time. When I was younger I used to go to this local game/music store where you buy/trade used games, but it was privately owned by a small family, not a corporation like gamestop or what not.

I'm not sure why you would think otherwise, I'm sure the mom&pop business is a corporation as well.

Pericles
03-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Dunno, thought you might have been shopping while black or perhaps......orange. :)

That might prejudice some clerks from helping you.

So, we can rule out that you happened to look like this guy:

http://s14.fanpix.net/images/80x80/0/n/0nvn5y98mj4l9nmn.jpg

Texan4Life
03-04-2011, 09:27 AM
i don't care for "mom and pop" stores. Or at least the one have I been in... They have the same made in china stuff just with a higher price, and the stock is so old it's dusty. no thx

fisharmor
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Spend your money where you want to spend it. Don't come here and tell us there's something noble about this particular small business.
Every pack of cigarettes I've bought in the last 5 years came from a "mom and pop" store.
Mom and Pop just happened to come from the Indian subcontinent, and they're running a franchise.
They're also the last places you can buy smokes (besides tobacco stores, another small business nobody cares about).
I somehow doubt that people will leap to the defense of these mom-n-pop stores when the state decides that smokes and tit mags are too high a price to pay when they can just move their gambling monopoly somewhere else.
Real moms, real pops, working insane hours in a dangerous venue, but for some reason nobody cares about THOSE small businesses.
So in reality, it's something else you're appealing to.

AGRP
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Come on guys. OP is a troll.

His story is fabricated.

Krugerrand
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm actually surprised there are still small electronic mom and pop stores that haven't been crushed by the chains. I'm in the rustbelt and most of the small towns are predominantly empty storefronts. I know the parents closed their hardware store after a lowes and a home depot opened up 10 miles away. It seems like mostly the niche style stores are the ones left standing.

I'll make a pitch here for Do It Best Hardware. You get the experience and personal support of a small local hardware store. Yet, they are affiliated with a larger online supplier from which you can typically have items shipped to your local store for free. That enables some more competitive pricing and better inventory selection. Sign up on their website to be on their email list and you'll get about 4-10 discounts a year in the neighborhood of 10-20% off either a single item or an entire purchase.

http://www.doitbest.com/