PDA

View Full Version : NY State Rep. introduces bill to require license plates and fees for bikes.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Bike License Assemblyman Envisions Cameras in Bike Lanes, Too

http://gothamist.com/2011/02/28/bike_license_assemblyman_envisions.php

This afternoon we spoke with State Assemblyman Michael DenDekker, a Queens Democrat who has introduced legislation that would require every bicycle in New York State to have a license plate. The registration and inspection fee would cost $25 for "private" (i.e. non-commercial) bicyclists and $50 for commercial bicyclists, with a $5 fee every subsequent year to renew the license. Reached by phone, DenDekker elaborated on the bill, and said he looks forward to the day when cameras in bike lanes will help identify scofflaw cyclists and hold them to the same standard of accountability as drivers. (We're assuming motorists and police officers in bike lanes would continue to be exempt from any enforcement.)

Brooklyn Red Leg
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
he looks forward to the day when cameras in bike lanes will help identify scofflaw cyclists and hold them to the same standard of accountability as drivers. (We're assuming motorists and police officers in bike lanes would continue to be exempt from any enforcement.)

Wonder if he wants to hold scofflaw politicians to the same standards as the rest of us? Probably not. Yet more reason why New York is the asshole capital of the world. Sad thing is that those motherfuckers retired here in the South and brought their goddamn Nanny-State with them!

osan
03-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Bike License Assemblyman Envisions Cameras in Bike Lanes, Too

http://gothamist.com/2011/02/28/bike_license_assemblyman_envisions.php

This afternoon we spoke with State Assemblyman Michael DenDekker, a Queens Democrat who has introduced legislation that would require every bicycle in New York State to have a license plate. The registration and inspection fee would cost $25 for "private" (i.e. non-commercial) bicyclists and $50 for commercial bicyclists, with a $5 fee every subsequent year to renew the license. Reached by phone, DenDekker elaborated on the bill, and said he looks forward to the day when cameras in bike lanes will help identify scofflaw cyclists and hold them to the same standard of accountability as drivers. (We're assuming motorists and police officers in bike lanes would continue to be exempt from any enforcement.)

Jesus flippin' christ... what next - plates for every pair of shoes? Oh... skates, roller skate plates and cameras for scofflaws. That's the ticket.

What an asshole.

muzzled dogg
03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
My buddy's first reaction to this was that they are trying to monitor future Paul reveres

freshjiva
03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Oh fuck me. I commute to work everyday on my bike. Knowing the democratic machine that runs my town (chicago), I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pull this crap over here.

We have a pretty strong cycling community here, though, so I'm sure there would be some resistance to this.

oyarde
03-05-2011, 04:00 PM
They need the money.....

doodle
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm surprised we don't have license plates for padestrians yet? Maybe by the time we start liberating Libya and Iran and spreading freedom there, that patriotic initiative will Be launched.

Better secure than roaming around freely without license.

oyarde
03-05-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm surprised we don't have license plates for padestrians yet? Maybe by the time we start liberating Libya and Iran and spreading freedom there, that patriotic initiative will Be launched.

Better secure than roaming around freely without license.

You should delete that post before some broke progressive reads it and understands that by allowing pedestrians to walk free , they are losing revenue....

Austin
03-05-2011, 04:13 PM
My buddy's first reaction to this was that they are trying to monitor future Paul reveres

The modern day Paul Revere will not be found on city streets, but in the tubes of the internet.

doodle
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
You should delete that post before some broke progressive reads it and understands that by allowing pedestrians to walk free , they are losing revenue....

Revenue will be one thing, but look at the security dividend it would pay? Right now, government has no idea who is walking on America's streets and roads with any license plate on their back.

But people would have to be really scared before they will agree to it rhough. But Fear works.

malkusm
03-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Of course. Most states are proposing Health Care Freedom Acts, Firearm Freedom Acts, Medical Marijuana Acts.....this state is busy proposing Bike License Plate Acts. Wonderful....

Brooklyn Red Leg
03-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow, anyone NOT see where this is headed?

Lets see...

- Gonna have to have Bike Identification Numbers now (BIN) so the bikes can be tracked. That will end up being an industry standard, so we can all look forward to eventually having to have a License Plates for our Bikes.

- This will eventually lead to a Bike License which will in-turn require a Biking Test (written and later physical). Children will have to have a Biking Permit that they can acquire at the age of 5 so they can ride a bike with training wheels. Their parents, naturally, will be required to have a Bike License to teach them.

- Bike Insurance is certainly on the horizon, probably $100 a year....

- Biking Under the Influence (BUI) will become the new 'gotcha' crime which will immediately raise revenues for the States.

And a whole host of other assorted crap. And no, I'm being perfectly serious about this.