PDA

View Full Version : Educating the masses with FB status bombs

PermanentSleep
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe it would be beneficial to use the fb status to educate based on simple philosophical principles that most people SHOULD be able to agree with. In many cases they would agree, but using Ron's name or including politics throws the blinders on for many people. Simple, to the point, truth based on sound principles on a consistent basis could open the ears of many people during the debates. They might say to themselves, I've heard all of these bad things about Ron, and I don't agree with him, but this sounds like something I've heard and accepted before.

jack555
03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
i do that and it really pisses people off, i still do it though lol, every once in a while i get nice comments:p

sevin
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Since half the people I know are hooked on facebook, I've started posting quotes and status updates that will make people think. Those weren't that effective, so lately I've been posting education pictures (found a lot of them in the Best Picture Thread EVAR). This has worked a lot better.

ClayTrainor
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Absolutely. Engaging people on social networks with clear, concise and rational explanations is one of the best ways to spread the message. Someone on the freedomainradio forum had another really interesting idea on how to do this.

I've recently did a small experiment on facebook. I want my friends to think about how a society could work without a government. I asked them one question a week on that topic and I promised to give them something in return. For instance, the first week I ran this, it went something along those lines.

Make 20$ easily! Let think about the impossible. Let's pretend we can offer healthcare services to everyone without the presence of a government. How would that work? I will send a 20$ cheque to the person who gives me the most creative idea on facebook in the next 56 hours.

I'm pretty much done with this experiment and I would like to share the results with you but first, let me share my reasoning for doing this. Since I concluded that voluntaryism anarchy is my preferred society model, I've been trying to convince or argue with my real life friends and family members of how good it might be. I have to say that it has been a great challenge. My conclusions were quickly dismiss without any logical reason. In one of the recent presentations from Stefan, he explained that reversing the burden of questions might help. Instead of having to answers the questions to solve all possible problems of a voluntaryism society, I would ask them how they would see it work.

Some of my friends simply answered to let the free market work. For most of the simple answers, I asked them to give me more details of how it would actually work. It lead to many interesting public discussions that all my other friends could see.

Many of my friends came out with the cooperative institution idea. I like how it relates to voluntaryism with it's peaceful association of people for a common need.

One of my friend rammed the though that it was actually impossible. Whatever argument I could come up with he just came denying it. I told him he was lacking imagination.

Many of the initial answers were actually not about totally removing the government but how it would work with a smaller one or one who does interfere less. I believe it was too big to swallow at once.

I think I lost one or two "friends" by judging the changes in my total count of friends. That was to be expected. I also gained one because of this. As I spoke about my experiment to my coworkers, I attracted the attention of one which asked me to become his friend just to participate in this.

After the first week on healthcare, I sent my cheque and moved on to education while upping the reward to 40$. I got fewer answers. I than moved to the road system while keeping my 40$ reward. I ended with the defence system and removed the cash reward. I was to give my respect badge, but I only got one uninteresting answer.

In the end, I think I made some of my friends think about how it could work.

nayjevin
03-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Since half the people I know are hooked on facebook, I've started posting quotes and status updates that will make people think. Those weren't that effective, so lately I've been posting education pictures (found a lot of them in the Best Picture Thread EVAR). This has worked a lot better.

I had good luck with stuff like this:

... and I have people tell me offline that they like what I'm posting even when they don't get into it on facebook... but also have lost friends from arguing too much wooops.

PermanentSleep
03-03-2011, 04:51 PM

PermanentSleep
03-03-2011, 04:54 PM

mac_hine
03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE= ... and I have people tell me offline that they like what I'm posting even when they don't get into it on facebook... but also have lost friends from arguing too much wooops.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e_J62Nnry0&feature=player_embedded

MelissaCato
03-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I think April 15th will be fun. Everyone putting a pictue of Ron Paul as the profile picture. Could you imaging if we all did that ?? Are we allowed to just any picture off the internet ? Because I wanna use that picture of Ron Paul with the hat on backwards with the reflection of Ron Paul 2012. Who do I ask for permission ? LOL

QueenB4Liberty
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I think April 15th will be fun. Everyone putting a pictue of Ron Paul as the profile picture. Could you imaging if we all did that ?? Are we allowed to just any picture off the internet ? Because I wanna use that picture of Ron Paul with the hat on backwards with the reflection of Ron Paul 2012. Who do I ask for permission ? LOL

What picture is this?

JohnEngland
03-03-2011, 06:20 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words :)

sevin
03-03-2011, 07:46 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words :)

I actually downloaded a whole bunch of political/libertarian/educational pics and have been posting one every day or two. It just occurred to me that it would be convenient to host all of these in one place where people could browse, download and use them for FB. hmm...

PermanentSleep
03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
I actually downloaded a whole bunch of political/libertarian/educational pics and have been posting one every day or two. It just occurred to me that it would be convenient to host all of these in one place where people could browse, download and use them for FB. hmm...

yes, please!

AFPVet
03-03-2011, 09:27 PM
I've been doing it for months.