PDA

View Full Version : Middle school student suspended for opening door

tangent4ronpaul
03-03-2011, 10:26 AM
http://www.tidewaternews.com/2011/02/26/middle-school-student-suspended-for-opening-door/

COURTLAND—A Southampton Middle School student was suspended Thursday for opening an exterior door for a visitor.

“Students are not allowed to open the doors, and if anyone does, they will be suspended,” said Dr. Wayne K. Smith, executive director of administration and personnel.

A districtwide policy prohibiting students and staff from opening doors to the outside was recently adopted after a $10,800 security system was installed at the middle school, Southampton High School, Southampton Technical Career Center and Nottoway, Meherrin and Capron elementary schools. Riverdale Elementary had a similar system installed when it was built three years ago.

All of the schools’ doors are locked during the day. Visitors must ring a buzzer and look into a camera before office personnel can let them in.
[...]

Austrian Econ Disciple
03-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, at least they are building them like what they were intended for -- Prisons.

Vessol
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I remember when I was living in Montana, our High School was open campus and people came and went all the time. When I moved to NC, it was a huge difference. It really is a prison system. When you went to lunch here, you went into the cafeteria and could not leave there until lunch was over unless you had a teachers note. Leaving the school was a huge thing, I remember back years ago when I was still in high school trying to leave so that I could help my mother move some furniture(I just went to classes for a important test). The police officer almost tackled me when I tried leaving by the front doors, started yelling at me that I need permission to leave and then assigned me to "Chill out"(detention).
Saddest thing is that talking with a few friends still in MT, the school I went to there is now pretty much the same as NC.

coastie
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
I remember when I was living in Montana, our High School was open campus and people came and went all the time. When I moved to NC, it was a huge difference. It really is a prison system. When you went to lunch here, you went into the cafeteria and could not leave there until lunch was over unless you had a teachers note. Leaving the school was a huge thing, I remember back years ago when I was still in high school trying to leave so that I could help my mother move some furniture(I just went to classes for a important test). The police officer almost tackled me when I tried leaving by the front doors, started yelling at me that I need permission to leave and then assigned me to "Chill out"(detention).
Saddest thing is that talking with a few friends still in MT, the school I went to there is now pretty much the same as NC.

My son's middle school is like a prison, gates that lock'em down during school hours and all.

Luckily, he told me the other day it's really easy to get around, and showed me how he could just walk out out anytime because of a REALLY big hole no one thought to close in the construction between two of the buildings.;) "Good enough for government work".:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My old high school resembles a prison now as well. Sad.

Austrian Econ Disciple
03-03-2011, 01:40 PM
My son's middle school is like a prison, gates that lock'em down during school hours and all.

Luckily, he told me the other day it's really easy to get around, and showed me how he could just walk out out anytime because of a REALLY big hole no one thought to close in the construction between two of the buildings.;) "Good enough for government work".:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My old high school resembles a prison now as well. Sad.

You should at least home school him.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Well, at least they are building them like what they were intended for -- Prisons.

Yup, that. ^^^

At least the gloves are coming off and it's clear now, without flowery bullshit, about what they are.

dannno
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
As a freshman in high school I got to go to a brand new, state of the art school. It was overly beautiful for a high school, it looked more like a really nice community college. There were dozens of buildings organized by quad, everything was spaced out really nicely and wide open.

Here's a picture of the library, most of the classroom buildings are behind that. Between classes you'll see hundreds of students relaxing on the grass and walking around. It was a really free-range kind of setting.

http://lc.sduhsd.net/about/images/pcc5.jpg

I graduated in 2000, and I remember that year they put in giant gates. They said it was to keep people out at night.. seniors were still allowed to leave campus during lunch, which was a special privilege. I wonder if they still have that privilege, and whether they now use the gates during the day.

olehounddog
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM

I started school in 1966. We had no busses. All the students either walked or someone dropped them off. I feel this taught the older kid responsibility becaues they had to watch the younger ones. If you failed in this mission, pain was inflicted on your posterior.The doors were not locked. There was no too early to get there. We would go early so we could play before the bell rung. By the time I was in 5th grade (11 y/o) I was able to ride my bike the 1 1/2 mi. to school. I remember having to stop and clean my glasses on foggy mornings.
I live accross the street from North Wilkesboro Elem. When my daughters(mid to late 80's) were there they were not allowed to to walk to or from school without a one of us going with them.
And we carried knives to school. In high school some of the guys always had a rifle hanging in the back window of their pick-up. Things sure suck for the kids now. No freedom at all. We had fights but it was never recorded. They just made us shake hands and make up.

April1775
03-03-2011, 03:56 PM
When I saw the thread title I was sure it was going to be about sexism, i.e. "This sexist bastard opened the door for a womyn so we suspended him." My wife thought the same when I sent it to her.