PDA

View Full Version : FL Governor cites Reason and Cato studies

Matt Collins
03-02-2011, 05:26 PM
"Is Florida Gov Rick Scott a hardcore libertarian? He used Reason magazine and CATO Institute (both pillars in the libertarian community) as sources in declining HSR funding. Now he does polling on Florida voter opinions on medical marijuana? Just exactly what IS he smoking in the governor's mansion?"

Here is the straight dope:
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2011/03/rick-scott-pollster-finds-marijuana-highly-popular-in-florida.html

realtonygoodwin
03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Reasons briefing papers are well-circulated in Congressional offices, according to a source of mine.

Dreamofunity
03-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I think it has more to do with his economic advisory oppose to any of his specific beliefs.

Economic Advisory Council, Randall G. Holcombe: Is a DeVoe Moore Professor of Economics at Florida State University, a senior fellow at the James Madison Institute, served on Gov. Jeb Bush’s Council of Economic Advisors from 2000 to 2006, was president of the Public Choice Society from 2006 to 2008, president of the Society for the Development of Austrian Economics in 2007 and as a research fellow at the Independent Institute.

Holcombe is one of my professors, the man is a solid libertarian. I'm currently in his class which uses Rothbard's The Ethics of Liberty as the textbook.

Matt Collins
03-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Holcombe is one of my professors, the man is a solid libertarian. I'm currently in his class which uses Rothbard's The Ethics of Liberty as the textbook.I'm soooo envious for a variety of reasons. I love FSU :-)

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm still on the fence about whether he should have rejected the HSR funding.

On this forum it seems everyone bashes HSR, but the fact is, we need to invest in future capacity. There isn't much we can do to increase capacity on the Interstates and most of our major airports are maxed out. Furthermore, the reason why HSR hasn't taken off is the subsidies we give to highways and flying. Everyone just says "if the private sector hasn't built it, it means it's not worth it". But the reality is that highways and airports are so subsidized that a private HSR plan just can't compete. I'd rather we invest in rail with private-public partnerships and reduce subsidies to airports and privatize interstates.

qh4dotcom
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
"Is Florida Gov Rick Scott a hardcore libertarian? He used Reason magazine and CATO Institute (both pillars in the libertarian community) as sources in declining HSR funding. Now he does polling on Florida voter opinions on medical marijuana? Just exactly what IS he smoking in the governor's mansion?"

Here is the straight dope:
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2011/03/rick-scott-pollster-finds-marijuana-highly-popular-in-florida.html

I recall members of CFL Florida and other Ron Paul supporters I know here in Florida were cheering for him last election. I regret I voted for the Libertarian endorsed candidate instead of Scott.