PDA

View Full Version : Draft Drew Carey for Senate effort makes Politico frontpage!!!!!!

aspiringconstitutionalist
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
The effort to draft Drew Carey for US Senate in Ohio in 2012 made Politico's frontpage!

Drafting Drew Carey in Ohio (http://www.politico.com/blogs/davidcatanese/0311/Drafting_Drew_Carey_in_Ohio_.html)

A group of libertarian-minded conservatives are attempting to draft television star Drew Carey into the Ohio Senate race against Sherrod Brown.

With no clear-cut Republican contenders having emerged yet for the contest, conservative activist Josiah Schmidt took it upon himself a little more than a week ago to construct a website and Facebook page to kick off the draft effort.

While Carey, who is from Cleveland but currently lives in Los Angeles as host of "The Price is Right," has not yet commented on the movement, Schmidt told POLITICO the Reason Foundation has already agreed to reach out to the television star about the possibility.

Reason, a libertarian think tank, partnered with Carey on a documentary series on the plight of Cleveland last year.

"Carey's outspoken libertarian-conservative policy advocacy, most notably through the Reason Foundation, has proven his credentials as someone who could be trusted to spare no sacred cows in his fight to reduce the size and role of government back to what it was originally intended to be. Furthermore, his name recognition, personal wealth, affability, and status as Ohio's favorite son would be a huge asset in an election," said Schmidt.

"Drew's increasing activism in local Ohio politics certainly gives us no reason to think he's uninterested in running for office. Also, his recent slimming down, the fact that he is in the last year of his five-year contract with Price Is Right, and the fact that he maintains a residence in Cleveland would all match up well with a 2012 Ohio Senate candidacy," he argued.

Right now, the movement is backed by a handful of fiscal hawks and activists in search of their own "Rand Paul to nominate" and 700 Facebook fans, but Schmidt said he's been reaching out to Republican party and elected officials to gauge interest.

Other potential candidates being mentioned are Rep. Jim Jordan, State Treasurer Josh Mandel and Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor.

But Chris Littleton, who heads a tea party group in western Ohio said he's been told by people close to Mandel and Jordan that neither of them will likely run.

"Jordan has said that he has a great opportunity to make a difference from the House in Republican Study committee and influencing leadership, therefore he wants to focus on this opportunity. Mandel is too new and has personal commitments to family," Littleton said.

Sola_Fide
03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
"Right now, the movement is backed by a handful of fiscal hawks and activists in search of their own "Rand Paul to nominate" and 700 Facebook fans, but Schmidt said he's been reaching out to Republican party and elected officials to gauge interest."
:)

TheTyke
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Awesome work!! Already sparking media interest. Man, it would be really great if some more liberty minded people like him, Gary Johnson and Robert Paul/Deb Medina would get elected. We'd be a force to be reckoned with in the Senate, and it would be harder to move things without our approval.

Thomas
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
omfg LOL

muzzled dogg
03-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Liked teh page

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
This is awesome!

haha i was actually the one who created the draft drew page on facebook along with aspiringconstitutionalist!

And someone told us to not even bother when we came up with the idea....

Matt Collins
03-02-2011, 02:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_DSh6Pb4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJr8V-jU7b4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBI02nn6X0s

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the videos, I posted the 20/20 one on the facebook page

TomtheTinker
03-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't mean to sound silly but it seems the senate is the route to bringing our ideals to D.C.. The fact is while a presidential run for Ron Paul would be best for educating people..But Ron Paul can actually become a senator(don't get me wrong I want him to run for president maybe madenia can win)..Gary Johnson can actually become a senator..Drew Carey can actually win a senate seat. I think with 5 or 6 people in the senate can make a huge impact.

Austin
03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
props to constitutional_insurgent for starting the facebook page (I think).

aspiringconstitutionalist
03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I don't know why that Politico reporter said I started the Facebook page. I only started the wordpress website. Anyway, they did a great article, though!

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 02:56 PM
props to constitutional_insurgent for starting the facebook page (I think).

It was actually me! I'm going to write and have politico issue a correction :p

Thomas
03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I think I started it, but I honestly can't remember lol

ItsTime
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
If Ron runs we NEED Drew to run ads for him. Drew = older and stay at home mother following, exactly where Ron needs help.

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for creating this. Already tweeted him and I'll create a facebook fan page right now. Join it and I'll make you an admin so you can help too!

Here's the page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Draft-Drew-Carey-for-US-Senate-from-Ohio-2012/201374739873619

Awesome! I was just thinking about doing that! Thanks!

I've created a website to try to get this effort organized: http://draftdrew.wordpress.com/
Along with a Twitter account for draft campaign related updates: http://twitter.com/#!/draftdrew2012

I'll be fleshing the site out more over the next couple days. Soon, I'll add a link to your FB page on the website. :D

I did it, lol i'm desperate for recognition!!

You did the wordpress and twitter account though

Thomas
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
oh nvm

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 03:06 PM
If Ron runs we NEED Drew to run ads for him. Drew = older and stay at home mother following, exactly where Ron needs help.

Agreed. He donated to Ron, but he needs to be more vocal about his support. Can you imagine if he plugged a Ron Paul endorsement into every Price is Right episode?!

ItsTime
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Agreed. He donated to Ron, but he needs to be more vocal about his support. Can you imagine if he plugged a Ron Paul endorsement into every Price is Right episode?!

I dont think his contract would allow him to plug Ron Paul on the show or that it would be wise. However, state specific ads (Iowa/New Hampshire) ads playing during the Price is Right will hold some huge weight.

Austin
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
It was actually me! I'm going to write and have politico issue a correction :p

+rep to you then. :D

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
+rep to you then. :D

Yay! my first +rep!

Aratus
03-02-2011, 03:17 PM
another thread here says Drew Carey contributed $2,300 to Ron Paul! if only
we can get together and pass around a likewise proverbial hat for Drew Carey!

ItsTime
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
another thread here says Drew Carey contributed $2,300 to Ron Paul! if only
we can get together and pass around a likewise proverbial hat for Drew Carey!

"The Drew Carey Ad Moneybomb" anyone?

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I'd just love for Drew to say "Vote for Ron Paul" at the end of every episode!

Chieppa1
03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Or, Ron Paul should be a contestant on The Price is Right. I bet he'd kill it. "Um, sorry Drew but those prices don't account for inflation".

Flash
It wouldn't benefit Drew Carey to endorse Ron Paul if he is indeed running for Senate. Why alienate voters who may like Drew but dislike Paul?

surf
i just want Drew to push his fellow owners to acquire Diego Forlan from Athletico Madrid :)

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
i just want Drew to push his fellow owners to acquire Diego Forlan from Athletico Madrid :)

Not going to happen! Forlan is staying here.

trey4sports
03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd just love for Drew to say "Vote for Ron Paul" at the end of every episode!

That we be a sweet signature line

Aratus
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
we can only hope and dream that he just might!