PDA

View Full Version : Colorado: Bill to repeal conceal and carry permit requirement passes House

aGameOfThrones
03-02-2011, 05:17 AM
A bill to repeal the requirement for a permit to carry a concealed firearm passed the state House of Representatives on Tuesday on a voice vote. If it succeeds at the state Capitol, Coloradans would no longer have to shell out $152 for a permit to carry a gun.

“This is not James Bond. This is not a license to shoot people,” said the bill’s sponsor, Rep. Chris Holbert, R-Parker. “This is just to allow people to carry a gun under your coat.”

Holbert said his bill wouldn’t make it easier for criminals to purchase guns, because buyers would still have to pass background checks. He also said it’s already legal for Coloradans to carry guns in their cars without having conceal and carry permits.

Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit is currently a Class 2 misdemeanor. Violators can be fined up to $250 and can spend up to three weeks in jail.

Several House Democrats slammed the measure, saying it would only increase gun violence. They invoked the January shooting in Tucson that left Congresswoman Gabriel Giffords in critical condition.

“This is not the time to make it easier for individuals to carry concealed weapons,” said Rep. Crisanta Duran, D-Denver. “This just simply goes too far.”

http://coloradopolitics.freedomblogging.com/2011/03/01/bill-to-repeal-requirement-of-conceal-and-carry-permit-passes-house/

April1775
03-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Nice. It's spreading. Wyoming just passed this and we're waiting for the gov to sign it into law.

You know, I think Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Montana and Idaho would make a pretty nice nation all by themselves.

April1775
03-02-2011, 05:25 AM
My friends who simply open carry without a permit call a permit a "wearing a coat tax."

Pericles
03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Nice. It's spreading. Wyoming just passed this and we're waiting for the gov to sign it into law.

You know, I think Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Montana and Idaho would make a pretty nice nation all by themselves.
If you look at the 2008 election results by county, you will an entire swath from west Texas to the Dakotas and across to Idaho have had just about enough of this BS.

bruce leeroy
03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
If you look at the 2008 election results by county, you will an entire swath from west Texas to the Dakotas and across to Idaho have had just about enough of this BS.

you know, sometimes I'm curious as to why this hasnt been catching on in the old south

Pericles
03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
you know, sometimes I'm curious as to why this hasnt been catching on in the old south

Left over baggage in the state constitutions dating from the Yankee occupation:

THE TEXAS CONSTITUTION

ARTICLE 1. BILL OF RIGHTS

That the general, great and essential principles of liberty and free government may be recognized and established, we declare:
Sec. 1. FREEDOM AND SOVEREIGNTY OF STATE. Texas is a free and independent State, subject only to the Constitution of the United States, and the maintenance of our free institutions and the perpetuity of the Union depend upon the preservation of the right of local self-government, unimpaired to all the States.

blah blah blah

Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.

Keith and stuff
03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
This is excellent news. One of the excuses for the not so amazing gun laws in WY is that people point to the terrible gun laws in CO. Legislatures in WY have been worried about liberalizing the WY permit laws because that would mean people with a WY permit wouldn't be able to carry in CO. For those of you that don't know, two of the three largest cities in WY are on the CO border and many people from WY regularly visit CO's Front Range area for work, college, sports, shopping, outside activities and so on. Of course, they found away around that in WY, by making the WY permit optional.

BuddyRey
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Liberty is taking root and flourishing in the west!

osan
03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Does all of this sudden change not leave anyone other than myself wondering what it is really about?

This is politics. High caliber (no pun) politics at that - the issue being the arming of mundanes. TPTB have wanted to eliminate this altogether for a good 100 years and took some very large bites out of RKBA with NFA34, GCA68, etc. Now all of a sudden states started implementing CCW, then SCOTUS started hearing gun cases after what, a good 40 or 50 years of refusal... now states are tossing the CCWs... WTF? I guess my perplexity/suspicion is piqued because it is safe to assume that TPTB have not changed their positions on armed citizens, at least so far as the notion that armed people pose a threat to their designs of global hegemony. Why, then, all this change in what appears to be a strongly opposing direction?

Is it because over the years and through publicly funded projects, TPTB have come into the possession of unadvertised high-tech weapons systems that have rendered our pea-shooters effectively meaningless? Is their power at this level somehow waning and the beauty of the American system making itself clear? Is it something else? The part that really makes me suspicious is the change of course by the SCOTUS. They have steadfastly refused ALL 2A cases for many decades. Then all of a sudden they decide to go 180 and start hearing select cases (Heller, e.g.) AND rule largely in favor of the INDIVIDUAL right.

I do not mean to sound so paranoid, but I have been around long enough and have seen enough of the nature of high-stakes politics to be very suspicious when a governmental organization such as the SCOTUS makes so sudden and drastic an alteration of course - ESPECIALLY when it is in favor of increasing the prerogatives of the vulgar. That is what leads me to wonder what else might really be going on. The hinting odor is one of setting us to a false sense of ease. "Oh look, our rights are being respected more... yay!", only to find that the truth is something far and away less than this. If by chance I am correct in speculating that there are new weapons out there that enable TPTB to control large populations at the push of buttons, then indeed it would mean nothing to them to start easing up on the 2A issue because the capability gap would render the Amendment meaningless in practical terms. The dolts get all happy as the real business of marching forward with the "global agenda" proceeds for another few months or years while the imbeciles revel in their meaningless "achievements".

Does any of this strike a chord with anyone else?

Sorry if I am being a killjoy.

Pericles
03-10-2011, 09:47 AM
It wasn't that SCOTUS refused to hear 2A cases, it was the NRA worked to prevent any 2A cases from being appealed to the SCOTUS for the fear of what would happen. After GOA and the 2A Foundation got behind Heller, the NRA has had to play catch up, just as they have on every 2A issue in the last 25 years, all the way to ATF's project gunwalker.

Kelly.
03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
this will have 0 chance of passing the senate, but it is a good start :)

as it stands now a CCW is ~ $150, and is good for 5 years. hopefully by the time my current CCW expires, i wont need permission to carry concealed

osan
03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
It wasn't that SCOTUS refused to hear 2A cases, it was the NRA worked to prevent any 2A cases from being appealed to the SCOTUS for the fear of what would happen. After GOA and the 2A Foundation got behind Heller, the NRA has had to play catch up, just as they have on every 2A issue in the last 25 years, all the way to ATF's project gunwalker.

Can you elaborate on the NRA activity? What have they done, specifically, and why? How can they prevent an appeal?

Pericles
03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Can you elaborate on the NRA activity? What have they done, specifically, and why? How can they prevent an appeal?
Let's start here:

Dick Heller – a licensed special police officer for the District of Columbia. For his job, Heller carried a gun in federal office buildings, but was not allowed to have one in his home. Heller had lived in southeast D.C. near the Kentucky Courts public housing complex since 1970 and had seen the neighborhood "transformed from a child-friendly welfare complex to a drug haven". Heller had also approached the National Rifle Association about a lawsuit to overturn the D.C. gun ban, but the NRA declined.

osan
03-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Let's start here:

Dick Heller – a licensed special police officer for the District of Columbia. For his job, Heller carried a gun in federal office buildings, but was not allowed to have one in his home. Heller had lived in southeast D.C. near the Kentucky Courts public housing complex since 1970 and had seen the neighborhood "transformed from a child-friendly welfare complex to a drug haven". Heller had also approached the National Rifle Association about a lawsuit to overturn the D.C. gun ban, but the NRA declined.

Thanks for that info. However, that is not NRA preventing an appeal, but just refusing to help. I recall clearly many instances of the SCOTUS turning cases away - openly refusing to hear them. This was very common in the 80s and 90s.

In any event, the NRA are donks and I'm sorry to say I am a lifer.

Southron
03-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that info. However, that is not NRA preventing an appeal, but just refusing to help. I recall clearly many instances of the SCOTUS turning cases away - openly refusing to hear them. This was very common in the 80s and 90s.

On the bright side, you have voting rights in NRA elections, as do I.

Pericles
03-10-2011, 07:49 PM

The only one I can remember is the Morton Grove case. It is unusual for the SCOTUS to take appeals while the issue is also being litigated in the state courts.

bruce leeroy
03-10-2011, 08:09 PM
hey perciles, what do you think are the chances that Texas passes a firearms freedom act this year?

speciallyblend
03-10-2011, 08:17 PM

as far as i am concerned i already live in the country of Colorado

Danke
03-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Does all of this sudden change not leave anyone other than myself wondering what it is really about?

This is politics. High caliber (no pun) politics at that - the issue being the arming of mundanes. TPTB have wanted to eliminate this altogether for a good 100 years and took some very large bites out of RKBA with NFA34, GCA68, etc. Now all of a sudden states started implementing CCW, then SCOTUS started hearing gun cases after what, a good 40 or 50 years of refusal... now states are tossing the CCWs... WTF? I guess my perplexity/suspicion is piqued because it is safe to assume that TPTB have not changed their positions on armed citizens, at least so far as the notion that armed people pose a threat to their designs of global hegemony. Why, then, all this change in what appears to be a strongly opposing direction?

Is it because over the years and through publicly funded projects, TPTB have come into the possession of unadvertised high-tech weapons systems that have rendered our pea-shooters effectively meaningless? Is their power at this level somehow waning and the beauty of the American system making itself clear? Is it something else? The part that really makes me suspicious is the change of course by the SCOTUS. They have steadfastly refused ALL 2A cases for many decades. Then all of a sudden they decide to go 180 and start hearing select cases (Heller, e.g.) AND rule largely in favor of the INDIVIDUAL right.

I do not mean to sound so paranoid, but I have been around long enough and have seen enough of the nature of high-stakes politics to be very suspicious when a governmental organization such as the SCOTUS makes so sudden and drastic an alteration of course - ESPECIALLY when it is in favor of increasing the prerogatives of the vulgar. That is what leads me to wonder what else might really be going on. The hinting odor is one of setting us to a false sense of ease. "Oh look, our rights are being respected more... yay!", only to find that the truth is something far and away less than this. If by chance I am correct in speculating that there are new weapons out there that enable TPTB to control large populations at the push of buttons, then indeed it would mean nothing to them to start easing up on the 2A issue because the capability gap would render the Amendment meaningless in practical terms. The dolts get all happy as the real business of marching forward with the "global agenda" proceeds for another few months or years while the imbeciles revel in their meaningless "achievements".

Does any of this strike a chord with anyone else?

Sorry if I am being a killjoy.

Paranoid? Listen to AJ for a couple of weeks. There is a lot going on outside of the gun issue to be concerned about. A lot.

Pericles
03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
hey perciles, what do you think are the chances that Texas passes a firearms freedom act this year?

Current status: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB145

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB298

Nothing stands in the way but time. TX only meets every two years for 120 days because we have enough laws already and don't need any more. Last session it died because the bill did not get called up before the session ended. With 2/3 R majorities in both houses, anything the leaders want to have a vote on can happen.

realtonygoodwin
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
I talked to my (R) Rep in Texas, and he has no interest in passing an open-carry bill. "Other things are more important."

Just one reason I plan to move to Colorado Springs.

Kelly.
03-11-2011, 10:58 AM
as far as i am concerned i already live in the country of Colorado

this!

ninepointfive
03-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Colorado has been overtaken on the front range by the ¨libs¨. Especially south of fort collins.

fun to think about though.