PDA

View Full Version : atlas shrugged -themed handouts?

muzzled dogg
03-01-2011, 10:18 PM
has anyone given any thought to something we could use to hand out to people exiting theaters?

DisillusionedPatriot
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I think this is a brilliant idea. The similarities are too glaring not to be taken advantage of.

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 03:45 PM
haha i'm actually watching stossel's episode on atlas shrugged right right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdB1RH_nD_8&feature=related

Thomas
03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
the film isn't playing im my area :(

eduardo89
03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I wish the movie had some bigger stars, just so it'd reach a much bigger audience. I hope they play it here in Spain, but I won't hold my breath...

muzzled dogg
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
yeah i need help with this

artwork in same theme-ish as official site http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/

dunno what to put for text it's been a while since i read the book

certainly mention capitalism, bailouts, gold, private property, foreign aid, bureacracy

say he named his son rand, etc

Thomas
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
i demanded it on eventful: http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/get_involved

Matt Collins
03-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I have contacted the CFL about this. We'll see if we can get them to generate anything.

Bergie Bergeron
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
The FSP is going to promote their cause to people exiting theaters I think.

erowe1
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
One thing I would recommend about this idea is to try to orient the flyers toward getting people who are receptive to them plugged into a local group of RP 2012 volunteers. What our aim needs to be right now is not getting people to vote for RP, but recruitment of people who will make investments in the campaign over the course of the next year or more.

Elwar
03-03-2011, 09:53 AM
One thing I would recommend about this idea is to try to orient the flyers toward getting people who are receptive to them plugged into a local group of RP 2012 volunteers. What our aim needs to be right now is not getting people to vote for RP, but recruitment of people who will make investments in the campaign over the course of the next year or more.

Good idea...local CFL groups need to promote their group and get the word out on meeting times.

ZachR
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM
I really like this idea, and I found some good quotes from the book (http://motoroftheworld.com/quotes/) that I think could be used in conjunction with Ron Paul, CFL, and/or the liberty movement in general. It would be good if we could find analogous quotes from Ron Paul (e.g. Francisco's "money speech" and things RP has said about monetary policy or the national debt.)

“Don't ever get angry at a man for stating the truth.”
— Dagny Taggart
Atlas Shrugged (Part 1, Chapter 10, Page 297)

“He knew no weapons but to pay for what he wanted, to give value, to ask nothing of nature without trading his effort in return, to ask nothing of men without trading the product of his effort.”
— Narrator (referring to Hank Rearden)
Atlas Shrugged (Part 1, Chapter 10, Page 303)

“There might be some sort of justification for the savage societies in which a man had to expect that enemies could murder him at any moment and had to defend himself as best he could. But there can be no justification for a society in which a man is expected to manufacture the weapons for his own murderers.”
— Hank Rearden
Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 1, Page 365)

“Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value.”
— Francisco d'Anconia
Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 410)

“Money is made... made by the effort of every honest man, each to the extent of his ability. An honest man is one who knows that he can't consume more than he has produced.”
— Francisco d'Anconia
Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

“...the man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it.”
— Francisco d'Anconia
Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 412)

“They told us that this plan would achieve a noble ideal. Well, how were we to know otherwise? Hadn't we heard it all our lives—from our parents and our schoolteachers and our ministers, and in every newspaper we ever read and every movie and every public speech?”
— The Tramp
Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 10, Page 661)

“...the United States. This country was the only country in history born, not of chance and blind tribal warfare, but as a rational product of man's mind.”
— Francisco d'Anconia
Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 2, Page 770)

“'Public welfare' is the welfare of those who do not earn it; those who do, are entitled to no welfare.”
— John Galt
Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 7, Page 1,050)

“All property and all forms of wealth are produced by man's mind and labor.”
— John Galt
Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 7, Page 1,062)

“The only proper purpose of a government is to protect man's rights, which means: to protect him from physical violence... The only proper functions of a government are: the police, to protect you from criminals; the army, to protect you from foreign invaders; and the courts, to protect your property and contracts from breach or fraud by others, to settle disputes by rational rules, according to objective law.”
— John Galt
Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 7, Page 1,062)

muzzled dogg
03-08-2011, 12:06 PM
some good quotes

erowe1
03-08-2011, 12:23 PM
“Whenever destroyers appear among men, they start by destroying money, for money is men’s protection and the base of moral existence. Destroyers seize gold and leave to its owners a counterfeit pile of paper.”

That's in Shlaes's recent article.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-03-07/greenspan-grapples-for-stimulus-that-works-with-ayn-rand-s-help.html

DisillusionedPatriot
03-08-2011, 01:46 PM
My favorite quotation from this book, which I believe is very relevant to our society and government today, is "There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of lawbreakers – and then you cash in on the guilt." Sorry I don't know the page number.

s35wf
03-08-2011, 02:19 PM
My favorite quotation from this book, which I believe is very relevant to our society and government today, is "There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of lawbreakers – and then you cash in on the guilt." Sorry I don't know the page number.

I have not read the book yet, although i definitely intend too. But this quote to me seems most relevant!

Lately ive been reading these two books http://thecrowhouse.com/Documents/mary-book.pdf and also www.thelawofone.info Suggest you all read them as well. Happy Reading!

Nathan Hale
03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Better to do Ronald Reagan themed handouts. Remember, this is a Republican primary.

muzzled dogg
03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
These are for the atlas shrugged movie-goers not your average GOP primary voter

Nathan Hale
03-08-2011, 02:35 PM

My bad, thats what I get for not reading the thread.

DisillusionedPatriot
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM

Exactly. I think it's crucial that any literature presents the reality that the movie (book) foreshadows events that are happening now, and any time when the government crushes the capitalist spirit with useless bureaucrats and regulations. It is a story of becoming less free, almost to the point of slavery, with the requisite final redemptive battle to re-establish liberty upon earth.

People should realize that the challenges faced in the movies correspond to those of free minded individuals today and be encouraged to draw similar conclusions.

dbill27
03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
The flyer should read "Who is Ron Paul?" at the top and underneath it a list of quotes and a summary of his voting record. At the very bottom a ron paul website or facebook page people can go to to learn more.

muzzled dogg
03-16-2011, 11:29 AM
bump now that we have showtimes
http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters

DisillusionedPatriot
03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
"What I asked you about, Professor, was what you thought about the Equalization of Opportunity Bill."
"Oh, that?" said Dr. Pritchett. "But I believe I made it clear that I am in favor of it because i am in favor of a free economy. A free economy cannot exist without competition. Therefore, men must be forced to compete. Therefore, we must control men in order to force them to be free."
"But look...isn't that sort of a contradiction?"
"Not in the higher philosophical sense. You must learn to see beyond the static definitions of old-fashioned thinking. Nothing is static in the universe. Everything is fluid."
"But it stands to reason that if - "
"Reason, my dear fellow, is the most naive of all superstitions. That, at least, has been generally conceded in our age."

pg. 127-8

"I do not see why industrialists should be considered at all," said Scudder. "when the masses are destitute and yet there are goods available, it's idiotic to expect people to be stopped by some scrap of paper called a property deed. property rights are a superstition. One hods property only by the courtesy of those who do not seize it. The people can seize it at any moment.If they can, why shouldn't they?"
"They should," said Claude Slegenhop. "They need it. Need is the only consideration. If people are in need, we've got to seize things first and talk about it afterwards."

pg. 128

"If a man deserves a job, there's no virtue in giving it to him. Virtue is the giving of the undeserved."

pg. 197

1000-points-of-fright
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
say he named his son rand, etc

No, you'd be intentionally giving people the impression that he named his son in honor of Ayn Rand which is patently false. Unless her name was actually Ayn Randall.

Matt Collins
04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I believe the CFL is about to create some flyers. Any last-minute suggestions on what should be on them?

muzzled dogg
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
No, you'd be intentionally giving people the impression that he named his son in honor of Ayn Rand which is patently false. Unless her name was actually Ayn Randall.

Snitch

muzzled dogg
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
handouts

http://freestateproject.org/files/WHERE_IS_JOHN_GALT_COLOR_0.pdf

ForLibertyFight
04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I will be at the Regent theater in LA on Friday at 4:30 showing. I need a flyer that would appeal to Rand fans that would gear them to Ron Paul.
I will make lots of B/W copies and hand them out before and after the movie.

thanks

ForLibertyFight
04-14-2011, 12:34 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/file/k3p1frtadbaf0b8/WHO%20IS%20RON%20PAUL%20new.docx

This is the flyer I made for the movie. Feel free to use it :)