PDA

View Full Version : Let's say he runs. During the first debate he is asked...

Matthew Zak
03-01-2011, 07:32 PM
"Why weren't you nominated, or elected to be the president in 2008?"

How should Ron Paul respond to that without appearing as a fringe candidate?

Kludge
03-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Talk about all the forces at work now in favor of him - elected politician (Obama) hasn't worked out, tea party, election of Rand, increasing federal debt. Avoid negative, talk about positive.

KCIndy
03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I would lean in toward the interviewer and ask, "So, how's that Hope and Change thing working out for ya?" :D

dbill27
03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I can't think of a more favorable question to be asked. Because the economic collapse he'd been predicting had not yet happened and everyone was laughing. Are they laughing now?

KramerDSP
03-01-2011, 07:48 PM
The first debate is going to be like the Super Bowl for many of us here. And a lot of people will be watching, because Obama won't get primaried.

Matthew Zak
03-01-2011, 07:48 PM
He could say something like,

"The people weren't ready for the truth. That truth is on their doorstep, assuming they still have a doorstep."

american.swan
03-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I think he should use all the sharp words they will use against him first.

If they don't say "radical" in their first question it should be in his first response.

"It's radical to ignore the GAO's debt figures and it's even more radical to assume we can print money forever without consequences."

They will ask him about "chainsaw-ing lovable government benefits." He has to come out first and say "the federal government intervention in the market has massacred many peoples ways of life"

Matthew Zak
03-01-2011, 08:01 PM
He could say something like,

"Because Obama ran a great campaign promising change. Of course we didn't get that change, for if we had, I wouldn't not be running again this year."

Legend1104
03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Because I wasn't the media's choosen golden calf.

WilliamShrugged
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
He should say,

"Because of how you edited my answers during debates....Just like you're planning right now!

olehounddog
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
He should say,

"Because of how you edited my answers during debates....Just like you're planning right now!

There you go.

Live_Free_Or_Die
03-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Take your pick of the litter on McCain's positions and spin away:

I said in 2008 the Republican Party has lost it's way. It was pretty clear in the 2008 primary Republicans rallied behind McCain and his positions of pre-emptive, undeclared, unconstitutional, indefinite occupations in the middle east. McCain went on to lose the general Presidential election to Obama, the candidate who said he would end the wars, and ironically the President who has continued to fight them. The country should have just elected McCain in 2008 because they certainly got his interventionist foreign policies.

spudea
03-01-2011, 08:42 PM
"Because I had to campaign on changing minds. Whenever I said we're already in a recession, and predicted the financial crisis, the others, including you, laughed. You ain't laughing now you female dog!"

or

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies. The empire of lies is D.C."

Romulus
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
"That is something the American people need to ask themselves".

outspoken
03-01-2011, 11:25 PM

You can't dig yourself out of a hole and you can't spend your way out of debt sir. I'm not sure if I will win or lose but my purpose for being here now is the same as it was then. People are waking up the reality that we here in America are all, liberal and conservative, sitting in a great, big, dark hole. We need someone to lead who recognized the problems not just a few years ago but decades ago. Many in Washington are still unaware of how we got here and fail to even acknowledge the present state we are in. Those here today failed to make the proper diagnosis and their convictions reside with providing the same treatment that got us into this situation. I stand before you because I believe that more people regardless of their former political allegiance are awake to the dire situation at hand and recognize that we need to charter not a new course... but rather, a course which was envisioned 250 years ago and it is America's destiny God willing to realize that dream. I am here to offer a choice to those who wish to elect a president who truly believes in the principles upon which this nation was founded and stand behind the Constitution not in part or in a belief that whe should mold it as we see fit. It is a binding promise to basic natural law that must be upheld in totality if we are to preserve liberty and save this nation from great peril. Then RP would pause and say, "Bizatch... let's get the liberty party rolling!" <and do a few shuffles and maybe a moonwalk just to show that he's still got the mojo at his age.>

freshjiva
03-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I can't think of a more favorable question to be asked. Because the economic collapse he'd been predicting had not yet happened and everyone was laughing. Are they laughing now?

+1. Perfect.

neumoljiv
03-01-2011, 11:38 PM
what if he's asked, are you too old to be elected?

no president has assumed office at an age over 70 years

http://img40.imagefra.me/i532/neumoljiv/uho2_3aa_uc3e3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_by_age

Kludge
03-02-2011, 10:45 AM
what if he's asked, are you too old to be elected?

no president has assumed office at an age over 70 years

http://img40.imagefra.me/i532/neumoljiv/uho2_3aa_uc3e3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_by_age

Note other figures who served well, even in their 80s. Exercises often, good health. Claim mentally fit, show a smile.

Is Ron Paul too old to run for president?

He will be 77 in the year 2012.

Consider; Charles de Gaulle was president of France at the age of 79. Some say he was the greatest modern leader in French history.

Ditto for Konrad Adenauer, declared by many to be the greatest chancellor of the German Republic in its modern history. Compare him to Helmut Kohl, for example, who presided over the reunification of Germany and was in the process of a Shakespearian moment, with greatness thrust on him, only to self implode in the midst of a tawdry, greedy scandal. Adenauer served Germany with wisdom and class until the age of 87.

Remember, the last “old” president America had was Ronald Reagan, who left office at 78.

Nor is old age the end of creativity. Michelangelo began his monumental work as architect of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome at age 71. By age 89, the year of his death, he was still at it.

This is a concept of biblical power. Moses first saw the vision of freeing the Israeli slaves at age 80. He finally brought them to the Jordan River at the age of 120.

Well, but you say, shouldn’t Ron Paul be able to enjoy his retirement? Doesn’t his wife, who has been ill, deserve to have some time with him, all to herself? And his children? And grandchildren?

That depends on whether they want to have him dead or alive. If he retires, his lifespan will shrink accordingly. If he has a vision, if he seeks the presidency, he will probably live longer. And what a romance, what an adventure, it would be, both as a couple and as a family.

Age is not the problem. Getting the issues right and having the courage to take a stand is the problem. And Ron Paul has proven to be up to both.

Coming Up: How he could pull it off.

By: Doug Wead
http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2008/1...for-president/

Pericles
03-02-2011, 11:13 AM
"I will not make age an issue in this campaign by holding my opponent's youth and inexperience against him." R. Regan in 1980 after his 1976 attempt for the nomination failed.

erowe1
03-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Given that the top two polling candidates right now are Romney and Huckabee, I don't see this as much of a problem.

neumoljiv
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Note other figures who served well, even in their 80s. Charles de Gaulle was president of France at the age of 79.

my post was about getting elected, not being able to serve

de gaulle was still in his 60's when first elected president in 1958

Romulus
03-02-2011, 11:58 AM
You can't dig yourself out of a hole and you can't spend your way out of debt sir. I'm not sure if I will win or lose but my purpose for being here now is the same as it was then. People are waking up the reality that we here in America are all, liberal and conservative, sitting in a great, big, dark hole. We need someone to lead who recognized the problems not just a few years ago but decades ago. Many in Washington are still unaware of how we got here and fail to even acknowledge the present state we are in. Those here today failed to make the proper diagnosis and their convictions reside with providing the same treatment that got us into this situation. I stand before you because I believe that more people regardless of their former political allegiance are awake to the dire situation at hand and recognize that we need to charter not a new course... but rather, a course which was envisioned 250 years ago and it is America's destity God willing to realize that dream. I am here to offer a choice to those who wish to elect a president who truly believe in the principles upon which this nation was founded and stand behind the Constitution not in part or in a belief that it must be upheld in totality if we are to save this nation from great peril. Then RP would pause and say, "Bizatch... let's get the liberty party rolling!" <and do a few shuffles and maybe a moonwalk just to show that he's still got the mojo at his age.>

good answer.

Kludge
03-02-2011, 12:05 PM
my post was about getting elected, not being able to serve

de gaulle was still in his 60's when first elected president in 1958

What's the difference? People are voting on someone to serve. He's young enough to serve competently, thus young enough to be elected.

neumoljiv
03-02-2011, 03:38 PM
What's the difference? People are voting on someone to serve. He's young enough to serve competently, thus young enough to be elected.

i guess we'll see what the difference is when the time comes

mello
03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
They wont ask him that. They will ask him 6 questions, one of which will be,
"Why are you not running as a 3rd party candidate?" On another question
they will cut is response short.

RyanRSheets
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM

"You got me on that one. I mean, the conservative you all picked went on to suggest a 5 trillion dollar bailout of the housing market when what I was saying about the economy came true. Come to think of it, hardly anybody paid any attention to me at all until after 2008, when the nominee scrambled back to Washington to try and find a way to throw enough money at the problem I'd diagnosed and wrote a prescription for years before."