PDA

View Full Version : NC SB141 CCW Special Privileges

XNavyNuke
03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Saw this and thought of the nice people here from NC.

North Carolina SB 141 NIB : The Right To Conceal Carry For Special People. (http://ppjg.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/north-carolina-sb-141-nib-the-right-to-concel-carry-for-special-people/)

If you are a resident of North Carolina and support Gun Rights for all citizens, why not contact your Senator. Ask them to expand SB 141 to cover everyone without creating “privileges” for those deemed more important or to withdraw this “special protection bill”.

I wonder why defense attorneys are not included in the "special class". Obviously, they face pissed criminals who were convicted despite their efforts in representing them. They may want some retribution too!

XNN

RSLudlum
03-01-2011, 07:02 PM
SC legislature has a similar bill submitted and going to the judiciary committee for debate but the bill would allow concealed carry without a carry permit for all that can legally buy a firearm. It also tacks on an extra 5 years to any sentence for a crime committed while in possession of a firearm.

devil21
03-01-2011, 11:28 PM
SC legislature has a similar bill submitted and going to the judiciary committee for debate but the bill would allow concealed carry without a carry permit for all that can legally buy a firearm. It also tacks on an extra 5 years to any sentence for a crime committed while in possession of a firearm.

Hmmm.....I like the first part but not the second part. What is "possession" of a firearm? On your hip, in your hand, in the dresser in your bedroom? I can DEFINITELY see the 5 year enhancement being abused like crazy, particularly in drug cases.

olehounddog
03-01-2011, 11:30 PM
e-mailed state sen. Soucek about this earlier. Also let my rep know.

GunnyFreedom
03-03-2011, 02:12 PM
We had another one for elected officials that would allow elected CCW carriers to carry wherever they went. The idea from the sponsor was to use that as a wedge-in to open CCW carry everywhere for everyone. I originally cosponsored it because when I read it it appeared to me to basically allow carry inside of government buildings which would really put us on relatively equal setting with the private sector, until a citizen pointed out that it also would allow elected officials to carry in bars, restaurants that serve alcohol, etc etc where nobody is currently allowed to carry, so I removed my cosponsorship from the bill.

As it stands, I hope to add an amendment to expand the exemption from prohibitions to "all CCW holders" or failing that restrict the exemptions for elected officials to "public property" or failing that I'll have to vote against the bill.

It's a shame, really, because I see what he is trying to do with the bill and I like it. But I also recognize the perception of elected officials trying to make themselves a 'special class.' that's not what's happening here, but it's clearly how it will be percieved.