PDA

View Full Version : The Hill: Only one GOP freshman votes against stopgap spending bill

malkusm
03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/146845-only-one-gop-freshman-votes-against-stopgap-spending-bill

Only one House Republican freshman voted against a short-term government funding measure Tuesday designed to avoid a government shutdown.

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), a former state assemblyman who was backed by Tea Party activists, was the sole member of the 87 House GOP freshman class to oppose the measure. In a statement, the congressman said that the bill — which cuts $4 billion from last year's spending levels over the next two weeks — does not do enough to reduce spending.

"I support the efforts of my GOP colleagues to move the budget process along so that we can work toward serious spending reductions," he said. "Unfortunately, this budget cuts spending at the rate of only $133 million/week or $6.95 billion/year. That's four-tenths of one percent of our annual deficit."

Unlike Amash, almost no House freshmen used their vote on the short-term measure to make a statement about bloated federal spending.

Five other Republicans voted against the short-term bill: Reps. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), Ron Paul (R-Texas), Walter Jones (R-N.C.) Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) and Steve King (R-Iowa).

Bachmann and King said they voted against the bill because it did not contain language defunding the healthcare law.

So, in short, the only real consistent fiscal conservatives right now are Ron Paul, Justin Amash, and Walter Jones -- they are the only 3 who have been consistently voting for spending cuts and against unconstitutional spending throughout the entire budget process.

malkusm
03-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Side note: The budget bill cut 0.4% of the federal budget. There's your two party system at work - why, they are such polar opposites as to change federal spending by almost half a percentage point! There's just no hope for bipartisanship! :rolleyes:

sailingaway
03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Rand voted against it in the Senate, of course.

specsaregood
03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I like that the only freshman that voted against it is an RP-supported person. hopefully this will wake up more tea party people.