PDA

View Full Version : Flash Bang Grenade Kills SWAT Officer

coastie
03-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Hmm, I thought these weren't lethal.:confused:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police in North Carolina say a SWAT officer was securing a stun grenade known as a "flash-bang" at his home when it exploded, killing him.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/tactical/articles/3379023-NC-SWAT-officer-killed-by-flash-bang-explosion/?fb_ref=homepage

WhyTF did he have this at his home? Holy shit, CG Law Enforcement we were issued our weapons before getting on the boat, and turned them in immediately after we got back. Even our pepper spray and baton. They get to take home apparently lethal "stun" grenades. Nice.:confused::confused::rolleyes:

R.I.P., and it sucks for his family, but this goes into the Darwin file for me at first glance.

Pericles
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
In a way, that was kind of tame. I thought I was going to read about some "blue on blue" action.

virgil47
03-01-2011, 02:44 PM

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/tactical/articles/3379023-NC-SWAT-officer-killed-by-flash-bang-explosion/?fb_ref=homepage

WhyTF did he have this at his home? Holy shit, CG Law Enforcement we were issued our weapons before getting on the boat, and turned them in immediately after we got back. Even our pepper spray and baton. They get to take home apparently lethal "stun" grenades. Nice.:confused::confused::rolleyes:

R.I.P., and it sucks for his family, but this goes into the Darwin file for me at first glance.

Maybe he thought it was a gerbil! LOL.

Matt Collins
03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I could see someone having a heart attack from it.

coastie
03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
In a way, that was kind of tame. I thought I was going to read about some "blue on blue" action.

Haha, me too.:p

Sorry to disappoint.:collins::cool:

RideTheDirt
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM
If you are too close when one goes off, it will most likely be lethal

daviddee
03-01-2011, 05:56 PM

JK/SEA
03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Karma?

instant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olgQnSSXwlc

devil21
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
The authority worship on display here in Charlotte over his death is absolutely sickening. This guy, as a SWAT officer for 20 years, likely destroyed more families and lives than you can imagine over the failed, fruitless, and victimless War on (some) Drugs. Then when he does something stupid like play with a flashbang at home and blow himself up he's honored as a hero. The same weapons he doesn't mind throwing into homes with unarmed children sleeping peacefully. This place is so fucked up with the authority hero worship.

daviddee
03-01-2011, 06:44 PM

pcosmar
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
It just went off ?
20 year veteran , Special Weapons and Tactics ?

This has an odor.
no, I have no sympathy over this, considering the job description.
But this story stinks. Grenades don't "just go off". If the pin was pulled "accidentally" get away from it,,throw it.

This is a suicide cover-up.

coastie
03-01-2011, 08:44 PM
It just went off ?

This has an odor.
But this story stinks. Grenades don't "just go off". If the pin was pulled "accidentally" get away from it,,throw it.

Yeah, I thought that was quite odd. But then again, idiots make their presence known in the darnedest of places sometimes.

KCIndy
03-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I thought that was quite odd. But then again, idiots make their presence known in the darnedest of places sometimes.

I'm going with the "idiots" theory. Has anyone ever seen the video of the cop giving his "safety" lecture to a classroom of school kids - and who then proceeds to shoot himself in the leg? :rolleyes:

AFPVet
03-01-2011, 09:57 PM

WhyTF did he have this at his home? Holy shit, CG Law Enforcement we were issued our weapons before getting on the boat, and turned them in immediately after we got back.

That's how we rolled in Air Force Law Enforcement too. I had my own POW's (privately owned weapons) but they wouldn't let us take home any fun stuff lol.

olehounddog
03-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm going with the "idiots" theory. Has anyone ever seen the video of the cop giving his "safety" lecture to a classroom of school kids - and who then proceeds to shoot himself in the leg? :rolleyes:

He was the only one in the room qualified......HAHAHAHAHA.

Dr.3D
03-01-2011, 10:15 PM
It just went off ?

This has an odor.

To true, those pins don't come out that easily and when they do come out, one should have no problem knowing it did. Not to mention the spoon flying off and making a noise as it hits the floor. After all of that, there is no way it could accidentally go off.

olehounddog
03-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Are they the same as a grenade as far as remove safety clip, pull pin, throw. I would always volunteer for safety NCO on the grenade range.

daviddee
03-01-2011, 10:29 PM

Dr.3D
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Are they the same as a grenade as far as remove safety clip, pull pin, throw. I would always volunteer for safety NCO on the grenade range.

Sure looks like it to me.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/M84_stun_grenade.gifhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/IDF_stun_grenade.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stun_grenade

aGameOfThrones
03-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Ban flash bang grenades!!! At least it's one less grenade use against someone truly innocent.t'

AGRP
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Police in North Carolina say a SWAT officer was securing a stun grenade known as a "flash-bang" at his home when it exploded, killing him.

Charlotte Police Chief Rodney Monroe says 50-year-old Fred Thornton suffered massive internal injuries when the grenade detonated Friday.

Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

Dr.3D
03-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Guess that would depend on what you are thinking. LOL

That is wasn't really a flash-bang and he had a regular baseball grenade?

AFPVet
03-01-2011, 10:41 PM
It was probably the concussion which caused the trauma at such a close range.

olehounddog
03-01-2011, 10:42 PM
We had an mp opfor we captured blow his hand up. The plt sgt took charge of him and took him inside our perimeter after I told him not to. We went back to our position and BOOOM. This idiot had taken a boobytrap simulator and rapped the string around his finger. He tried to give it a flip but the string was too short. Messed his hand up. Oh I guess they forgot to search him too.

Pericles
03-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Addendum: When throwing grenades out of vehicles, it is a good idea to hold the grenade out of the window when pulling the pin. I will not entertain any questions as to how this information was verified.

Dr.3D
03-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Addendum: When throwing grenades out of vehicles, it is a good idea to hold the grenade out of the window when pulling the pin. I will not entertain any questions as to how this information was verified.

I can imagine one being dropped inside the vehicle would tend to make people learn not to let it happen again. ;)

BamaAla
03-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Anyone remember the Waco hearings? Ole Chuck Scumer was thoroughly convinced a flash bang couldn't/wouldn't harm a soul.

coastie
03-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Anyone remember the Waco hearings? Ole Chuck Scumer was thoroughly convinced a flash bang couldn't/wouldn't harm a soul.

http://flashbangschumer.com/

No Rick Roll, it's a real site, lol.

:D

Philhelm
03-02-2011, 07:13 AM

What? That he was anally masturbating with a flashbang?

Krugerrand
03-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Always worth a re-post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAVYFRM5Tl8

olehounddog
03-02-2011, 08:04 AM

And when out side always look for tree limbs or anything else overhead.

the_strand
03-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Who cares?

Krugerrand
03-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Who cares?

Families of loved ones killed by these and other "non-lethal" devises that have been told there must have been some other cause of death because the device was non-lethal.

the_strand
03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
If it was a swat member, WHO CARES. Sorry no tears. Don't care.

olehounddog
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
He was still a person. To not care, to not feel sorrow when someone's life is lost for any reason, is sad. But then, people tell me i'm crazy for feeling the way I do. I choose to care and remain crazy.
This man probably felt the same way when a drug dealer was killed in a swat raid. He was a drug dealer, WHO CARES. No tears from him either.
I guess I have a pussified soft heart for loving ALL people. I thought our movement was a revolution of love.

pcosmar
03-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah well.
This was not an accident. It was,
1. Deliberate suicide
2. A hit meant to look like an accident
3. extremely moronic stupidity

There is absolutely no justification for hero worship. And an investigation into the cover-up and fraud should be started.

For those that do not understand how these devices work, some research is in order.

1. pins don't fall out accidentally
2. Once the pin is pulled. the handle can be held down all day. or the pin replaced.
3. Once the handle (spoon) is released, there is a few seconds delay before explosion.

Someone with 20 years experience with special weapons experience would know this.

Krugerrand
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah well.
This was not an accident. It was,
1. Deliberate suicide
2. A hit meant to look like an accident
3. extremely moronic stupidity

There is absolutely no justification for hero worship. And an investigation into the cover-up and fraud should be started.

For those that do not understand how these devices work, some research is in order.

2. Once the pin is pulled. the handle can be held down all day. or the pin replaced.
3. Once the handle (spoon) is released, there is a few seconds delay before explosion.

Someone with 20 years experience with special weapons experience would know this.

Heck - anybody who watch 3 episodes of the A-Team should know this.

Pericles
03-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Points 2 and 3 are good to keep in mind when riding along, looking at the map, talking on the radio, and someone in the vehicle screams "Oh sh!t, we are all going to die!"

pcosmar
03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Points 2 and 3 are good to keep in mind when riding along, looking at the map, talking on the radio, and someone in the vehicle screams "Oh sh!t, we are all going to die!"

Old Ground Pounder here. 11B tank hunter.
I consider armor to be rolling coffins. I haz an aversion.
;)

olehounddog
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
11c we had gamma goats in the 25th got transferred to the 24th mech at Stewart. Didn't like being canned up a bit.
NCARNG as 11b still didn't like being canned up.

pcosmar
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
11c we had gamma goats in the 25th got transferred to the 24th mech at Stewart. Didn't like being canned up a bit.
NCARNG as 11b still didn't like being canned up.

1st 21st Gimlets. I remember the goats. horrible machines. swam like a submarine. Squirrely as shit.
Roll one off a hillside and yer fucked.

olehounddog
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Yea I was driver C 1/21 81 section. for 2 yrs 77-79. Yea, never rolled 1 myself but I did see 6 wheels pointing up a couple of times.
I went to 2/21 CSC 4.2.

Anti Federalist
03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I have nothing more to add to this.

Somebody already posted Chucky Schumer at the Waco hearings dismissing flash bangs as "harmless". (Hey Chuck, that means I should be able to buy them at my local gun shop, right? Yeah, didn't think so, ya fuckstick you.)

And somebody already posted the idiot DEA cop who was "the only one qualified to carry this Glock".

Well done men!

LoL

pcosmar
03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.cafepress.com/chuxshirts.271321021
http://images1.cpcache.com/product/271321021_350x350_Back.jpg

Good to keep in mind.