PDA

View Full Version : politico: Five ways Mitt can cure himself of RomneyCare

muzzled dogg
03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Five ways Mitt can cure himself of RomneyCare

MAGGIE HABERMAN | 3/1/11 10:35 AM

• HILLARY’S PLAYBOOK. Follow Clinton's model on her Iraq war vote – slowly and steadily move away from it until you're completely at odds with the plan by the time voting starts

• THE SPEECH. Give a major, detailed speech or TV interview admitting the health care plan was a big mistake.

• IT’S DIFFERENT. Emphasize several points from RomneyCare that are different from Obama’s plan, tout them as a successes, then pivot to the economy.

• CLAM UP. Say he wouldn't do it again, in passing, then stick to that brief answer every time the question comes up until reporters get bored.

• BLAME GAME. Pin its failures on Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick's botched implementation.

Mitt Romney has several escape routes out of the “RomneyCare” trap he’s facing – a dilemma similar to Hillary Clinton’s problem in 2008 with her vote authorizing the war in Iraq, analysts and strategists told POLITICO.

The experts offered up their prescriptions for Romney to blunt criticism over his health care plan, which he’s been pounded for by Mike Huckabee and others. On Monday, the problem Romney’s facing was highlighted again when the plan received praise from President Obama – not helpful in a GOP primary.

Continue Reading

So far, Romney has given a tortured response to criticisms that it was the basis for President Obama’s health care plan – trying not to seem like a flip-flopper while still appealing to his party’s conservative base, which will largely decide the Republican nominee.

“Hillary had a very similar calculus,” said Dan Gerstein, a Democratic strategist currently with Gotham Ghostwriters.

He was referring to Clinton’s problem of having to disavow her Iraq war vote to appease liberals during the primary against Obama, while not looking fitting into a perception people had of her – that she was too politically expedient.

Romney’s “only prayer of winning the primary is that he convinces the ‘reasonable’ wing of the party – which is albeit shrinking – that he is the only one with a prayer of winning the general (election),” Gerstein said. “And that prayer rests on independents not thinking he’s a weasel.”

He added, “If I were advising him, I’d tell him that he has to say what he believes and own it either way ... I actually think he should stick with his current line, but just give a fuller, bigger explanation.”

After days of being poked by Huckabee on the issue, and in the former Arkansas governor’s new book, a Romney aide said the potential candidate is “proud” of what RomneyCare accomplished but that what works in states doesn’t work nationally. From there, he slammed ObamaCare.

A longtime Democratic strategist said Romney ought to pick a couple of key ways in which his plan is different than what Obama is doing “and say they are not the same, and stick with the accomplishment.”

“I would probably put it within the context of cost,” the strategist added. “Not coverage. In other words, ‘Middle class and businesses are getting slammed by health care costs. I reduced costs but without hurting businesses.’ ObamaCare is a Big Government program that hurts the economy. That’s the difference between us.’“

“If I were advising Romney, I would tell him, ‘You need to come to Jesus (on this), you need to figure this out because you can’t finesse it. You either kill it or don’t,’” said Florida-based GOP strategist Rick Wilson.

Wilson said Romney should give a major speech and say that Romneycare “opened the door” for ObamaCare, and be as blunt as possible, saying, “I was trying to do good and I ended up making a giant error.”

Another GOP strategist said Romney needed to poll-test how closely identified with health care he is for Republican primary voters, and could do a TV interview making those same points, then pivot from there to "jobs, jobs, jobs."

Kevin Madden, an adviser to Romney’s 2008 campaign, dismissed the critiques, said health care will be a “major part” of the 2012 debate, but not the only issue.

“The folks who think that every challenge can be overcome by delivering a speech or giving an interview are usually in the business of writing speeches and conducting interviews,” he added.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/50408.html

TheDriver
03-01-2011, 11:49 AM
He should not waste his money running, you know, save himself the embarrassment. Dick Morris slammed Romney on Hannity last night... Hannity was stuttering..

specsaregood
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Five ways Mitt can cure himself of RomneyCare
Yes, voters really are this stupid.

There, fixed their title.

Sola_Fide
03-01-2011, 11:52 AM
No matter what, Mittens will not live down Romneycare. The Tea Parties are just too tuned-in to what is happening right now....and I really predict that the Tea Parties will choose the next nominee.

HOLLYWOOD
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
No matter what, Mittens will not live down Romneycare. The Tea Parties are just too tuned-in to what is happening right now....and I really predict that the Tea Parties will choose the next nominee.

Most of the national Tea Party orgs are Establishment Fascist, are backed, financed, and controlled. Sucks that they will lead the unknowingly.

Yes, Mandates and RomneyCare will be Romney's downfall, but Bain Capital should be the focus point with Mittens... With high unemployment, Romney, besides raiding cash rich companies and over-funded pensions, BAIN moving Companies and Jobs out of the country for 2 decades exposure will kill his political career with todays sentiment across the nation.

specsaregood
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm confused.

You are the same chap that said this the other day?

No. It is bad, bad, bad news. This is BAD NEWS FOR THE TEA PARTY!
A gathering of "Tea Party activists" just voted for a former FED chairman who opposes an audit and supported the bank bailouts. That is horrible news for the Tea Party!

Sola_Fide
03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm confused.

You are the same chap that said this the other day?

LoL. I did say that...you got me:).

I still think Obamacare is an issue that the Tea Parties are united against. Ending the FED is something we have to still work on with them.

Aratus
03-01-2011, 12:29 PM
sen. scott brown is now the most popular politician in my home state.
he is not running for president at all in any hurry, so he can be helpful
when mitt romney runs. he and mitt romney basically ARE romneyCare!

Matt Collins
03-01-2011, 01:39 PM
If opposition campaigns simply communicate that RomneyCare=ObamaCare then he will be DOA. But it's up to the opposition to do it (that's us).