PDA

View Full Version : How to Win Over the Religious Right

DisillusionedPatriot
02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
There are a number of issues on which Ron Paul supporters can attempt to connect and reason with the religious right. I'm sure there are many more, but these are a few that came instantly to my mind. It is worthwhile attempting to ally with this crowd to a considerable extent. The religious right claims to (and in many instances, I believe, truly does) believe that the Bible is the holy and inspired word of God. Its message of liberty and freedom is one that would often surprise all of us.

1. INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY

Leviticus 25:10 reads: "Consecrate the fiftieth year and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants."

Furthermore, to see by contrast what God thinks about liberty, consider the Anti-Christ. He establishes the ultimate totalitarian regime, in which he attempts to completely subject all rights of all people on earth.

2. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Galations 6:4-7 : "Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load. [...] Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows."

The Bible teaches that each individual will come of age and accountability, and that after that point he will be held accountable for his actions. The Founding Fathers warned that for the republic to last, its citizenry must be both educated and moral. Many explicitly stated that the Bible provided the best moral code.

3. PROTESTANT WORK ETHIC

1 Timothy 5:8 “If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”
Ecclestiastes 3:13: “That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil--this is the gift of God.”
Ephesians 4:28: “He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.”

4. ABORTION

Psalm 139: 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.

5. TAX WITHHOLDING

Jesus said that, "the laborer is worthy of his wages.” (Luke 10:7)

In fact, there is an important Biblical concept of "first fruits" (e.g. see Deuteronomy 26) and the intent is clear: God is supposed to receive the first portion of anything we earn. This is to signify that all we have is God's, and that he is merely blessing us with its use.

Direct withholding, such as for social security or medicaid, attempts to usurp God's rightful prerogative - i.e. that his cut will come out first, right off the top. It further increases the likelihood that God will not receive his fair share if people choose to tithe based on their take-home income.

6. CHARITY

The Bible is very clear about charity. It only counts if it is done in a loving, giving, and even selfless spirit. This is the message of the parable of the Widow's Mite.

When government purports to act charitably (be it through foreign aid, public education, food stamps, what have you) it does not do so and instead commits the sin of theft. To force a person to surrender their own rightful belongings to another is coercion under any name. It is also a blow to the charitable spirit, as people who find themselves robbed might consider their charitable donations finished and will be less inclined to give freely and from the heart.

7. PARENTAL RIGHTS

The government, through state and federal Child Protective agencies, has been routinely harassing Christian families for such issues as homeschooling, overt religious expression, and use of corporal punishment.

Proverbs 13:24 "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

Deuteronomy 11:18-19 "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."

8. WEED

Sometimes I run up against a religious person who is absurdly anti-marijuana and will not consider libertarians who advocate for legalization. I dispute them thus:

In Genesis 1:29, God said to Adam and Eve, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." I think it's interesting that marijuana is a seed-bearing plant which stimulates the appetite. Men are often deluded, but the Bible says God is never wrong.

DisillusionedPatriot
02-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I also find relevant for context and discussion the passages in Samuel which describe the folly of Israel in requesting a king (i.e. an autocratic government). The warning I derive is that if a free nation is foolish enough to surrender their sacred rights and liberties, God will permit them to be reigned over.

1 Samuel 8: 7-22 And the LORD told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.”

Samuel told all the words of the LORD to the people who were asking him for a king. He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle[c] and donkeys he will take for his own use. He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the LORD will not answer you in that day.”

But the people refused to listen to Samuel. “No!” they said. “We want a king over us. Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles.”

When Samuel heard all that the people said, he repeated it before the LORD. The LORD answered, “Listen to them and give them a king.”

1 Samuel 12:17-20 Is it not wheat harvest now? I will call on the LORD to send thunder and rain. And you will realize what an evil thing you did in the eyes of the LORD when you asked for a king.”

Then Samuel called on the LORD, and that same day the LORD sent thunder and rain. So all the people stood in awe of the LORD and of Samuel.

The people all said to Samuel, “Pray to the LORD your God for your servants so that we will not die, for we have added to all our other sins the evil of asking for a king.”

“Do not be afraid,” Samuel replied. “You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart.

Kregisen
03-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Very clear and thought out.

DisillusionedPatriot
03-01-2011, 12:10 AM
9. NATIONAL DEBT AND EXORBITANT SPENDING

Proverbs 22:9 The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.

Romans 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.