PDA

View Full Version : Opt out or Opt in organ donation?

marc1888
02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey Gunny, Question for you and others. What is your view on automatic opt out organ donation rather than opt in?

Marc

GunnyFreedom
03-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Hmm. I'm pretty sure that we are already opted out of the donor program unless we specifically opt in on our driver's license. Am I maybe missing something in the question?

marc1888
03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey gunny,

right now you automatically opt out unless you say you can use your organs. What i was talking about was automatically your organs are donated unless you opt out of donation. There is a lot of people who would like to donate organs etc but just dont get around to changing their license or by the time the next of kin give permission its too late. This would put the onus on the individual to opt out of the donor program... I dont know the legality of it but these kind of programs dramatically increase the amount of donor organs available for people on waiting lists etc...

Of course i also have no objection to people selling their organs either ;) i dont however think that one would sell very well in the NCGA ;)

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Law-Would-Make-Organ-Donation-an-Opt-Out-Process-92239514.html

Hmm. I'm pretty sure that we are already opted out of the donor program unless we specifically opt in on our driver's license. Am I maybe missing something in the question?

jacque
03-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Hey gunny,

right now you automatically opt out unless you say you can use your organs. What i was talking about was automatically your organs are donated unless you opt out of donation. There is a lot of people who would like to donate organs etc but just dont get around to changing their license or by the time the next of kin give permission its too late. This would put the onus on the individual to opt out of the donor program... I dont know the legality of it but these kind of programs dramatically increase the amount of donor organs available for people on waiting lists etc...

Of course i also have no objection to people selling their organs either ;) i dont however think that one would sell very well in the NCGA ;)

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Law-Would-Make-Organ-Donation-an-Opt-Out-Process-92239514.html

I would see this as a mandate and forced donor donation. I feel it is better the way it is. Right now, I have a choice to donate or not to donate by my hand. If we make it law that you have to opt out, then we are doing simular to Obamacare. I am against forced "donor".