PDA

View Full Version : Obamas Handling of Revolutions in the Middle East

lester1/2jr
02-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't think history will look too kindly on Obamas handling of either the financial crisis or health care, but the guy has handled a couple of situations I think really well in many respects.

First Iran where he was careful not to inject us in to the picture. Second the BP oil spill, where the thing played itself out and he wasn't standing on the beach with a hardhat or something showboating and looking ridiculous.

I came across this article or rather part of an article saying that Obama wanted to "create a counter narrative" to the Al queda theme of western intervention. In my opinion it's worked like a charm. We haven't heard a peep from Al Queda and the PEOPLE of Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya have TOTALLY taken their revolutions into their own hands.

I really wish he would call Liberman, Hillary and McCain and tell them to shut up and go home. Don't mess with a winning formula.

http://hragv.tumblr.com/post/3293439904

From the New York Times article “A Tunisian-Egyptian Link That Shook Arab History”:

The White House had been debating the likelihood of a domino effect since youth-driven revolts had toppled President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali in Tunisia, even though the American intelligence community and Israel’s intelligence services had estimated that the risk to President Mubarak was low — less than 20 percent, some officials said.

According to senior officials who participated in Mr. Obama’s policy debates, the president took a different view. He made the point early on, a senior official said, that “this was a trend” that could spread to other authoritarian governments in the region, including in Iran. By the end of the 18-day uprising, by a White House count, there were 38 meetings with the president about Egypt. Mr. Obama said that this was a chance to create an alternative to “the Al Qaeda narrative” of Western interference. "

I would note too that Obama went against the advice of the people around him in pursuing health care reform. that was not a good decision on this part, so his instincts are not all that sound in other areas.

RyanRSheets
02-28-2011, 10:18 AM
He didn't handle the BP spill well. He should have worked to open up the waters so that foreign ships could help clean it up. The liability cap was wrong. He didn't walk out into the mess to obstruct it like Bush, but he did obstruct things from the Oval Office.