PDA

View Full Version : Libyans Using Coded Dating Site Messages To Avoid Government Monitoring

Kludge
02-28-2011, 08:42 AM
A few different people have sent over this fascinating story of how Libyans have been using a popular muslim dating site to communicate about the protests in that country. It's been widely covered how various protesters around the middle east have been using tools like Facebook and Twitter to organize and communicate, and governments have been responding to that fact, often shutting off access to those sites, or at least monitoring them very, very closely. In order to avoid that, apparently some of the conversations in Libya have migrated to this dating site. The article at ABC News includes plenty of details about how people are communicating on the site, and it's worth a read. Here's a snippet:

The phrase "May your day be full of Jasmine," for example, is a coded reference to what's been called the Jasmine Revolution sweeping the region, Mahmoudi told ABC News.

He said the response, "And the same to you. I hope you will call me" meant they were ready to begin.

If the undercover "lovers" wrote "I want love," it meant "I want liberty," Mahmoudi said.

They also communicated in code the number of their comrades supporting the revolution. The five Ls in the phrase "I LLLLLove you," for example, meant they had five people with them.
Yet another reminder that no matter how hard governments try to suppress certain forms of communication, people always seek out alternative means.

Article by Mike Masnick of Techdirt. Full article with reference links and comments @ http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110226/18330013292/libyans-using-coded-dating-site-messages-to-avoid-government-monitoring.shtml

Sola_Fide
02-28-2011, 08:50 AM
This is really cool. People have been communicating in secret for ages.

When the Christians were being persecuted and burned alive at the stake in Rome, they would often communicate in signals. When they met, they would draw one half of an icthus in the sand and wait for the other person to draw the other half.

John wrote the book of Revelation in code (thus he described Nero Ceasar as 666) so Christians could talk about the coming destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD in code.

amy31416
02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
I LLLLLLLLLLLLLove it.