PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin public schools REQUIRE teaching about unions and collective bargaining

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
02-28-2011, 07:03 AM
I was doing some digging and found this little gem which was enacted by Governor Jim Doyle in 2009.

http://www.wisconsinlaborhistory.org/?p=265

More than 50 persons crowded into the governor’s conference room as he used four pens to sign the historic bill that will make the teaching of labor history and collective bargaining part of the state’s standards for public schools in Wisconsin.

eduardo89
02-28-2011, 07:27 AM
This isn't surprising to me. The public school system is the biggest propaganda machine used by the progressive movemnt to indoctrine the nation

moostraks
02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Advocate for or teach about? What is the manner in which the information is disseminated? If anyone has the actual curriculum it is much more valuable than mere speculation on the manner in which it is handled. This could be much ado about nothing or propaganda. All depends on how it is done.

Zippyjuan
02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
As a part of US history, it should not be ignored. Does this promote unions or force them to join them? Doesn't sound like it.

TroySmith
02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Most school textbooks tend to be sympathetic towards Unions. They frame the material in a way that is class warfare "Robber Baron vs the Worker" kinda thing. Sadly, a lot of teachers don't actually know the history of unions to be able to point to any other view.

Rothbardian Girl
02-28-2011, 05:17 PM
There is nothing inherently wrong to me about being aware of union history. However, I think the public school version of the history of unions is quite frankly, horrible, and no elaboration is ever provided except for "they were just there and advocated for better working conditions". Again, it's up to the student to screen out the propaganda and become more interested in thinking for himself.