PDA

View Full Version : Bill 2of3 sent 2 drafting 27Feb: Require labeling for GMO and rBGH Food & Drink

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2011, 01:36 PM
BILL 2: REQUIRE LABELING FOR GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD AND DAIRY PRODUCTS THAT HAVE BEEN ENHANCED BY GROWTH HORMONES.

Label GMO foodstuffs and rGBH dairy - All foodstuffs that contain Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) material and all dairy products that contain Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormones (rBGH) milk, to be sold in NC must include labeling no smaller than the ingredients list, and accompanying the ingredients list, identifying the product as containing GMO or rGBH material.

coastie
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
BILL 2: REQUIRE LABELING FOR GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD AND DAIRY PRODUCTS THAT HAVE BEEN ENHANCED BY GROWTH HORMONES.

Label GMO foodstuffs and rGBH dairy - All foodstuffs that contain Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) material and all dairy products that contain Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormones (rBGH) milk, to be sold in NC must include labeling no smaller than the ingredients list, and accompanying the ingredients list, identifying the product as containing GMO or rGBH material.

Awesome!:)

The thread title is hurtful on the eyes, just sayin'.:p;)

Yieu
02-27-2011, 01:52 PM
This is a nice bill. It should be expected for all details of what is in food products to be revealed.

teacherone
02-27-2011, 04:50 PM
hmm...

although i agree with the regulation--- it's still regulation.

how does that square?

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
hmm...

although i agree with the regulation--- it's still regulation.

how does that square?

I am operating at the State level where such regulations are entirely Constitutional, and not at the Federal level where they clearly are not. I don't understand your issue...

Kotin
02-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I am operating at the State level where such regulations are entirely Constitutional, and not at the Federal level where they clearly are not. I don't understand your issue...

+1

this is a great piece of legislation.. bravo, Gunny!

Anti Federalist
02-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Awesome!:)

The thread title is hurtful on the eyes, just sayin'.:p;)

No kidding.

I dug through a bunch of NC GS on another issue and, maybe it was just me, but NC statutes seem to be deliberately long winded, verbose and obscure.

teacherone
02-27-2011, 05:32 PM

gunny- i am amazed by your sincerity and ability. you're doing great!

i understand you are in the state house and not in DC-- thank god! we need thousands more like you.

i'm interested in how this bill will be enforced-- will there be inspections?

what's the projected cost?

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
gunny- i am amazed by your sincerity and ability. you're doing great!

i understand you are in the state house and not in DC-- thank god! we need thousands more like you.

i'm interested in how this bill will be enforced-- will there be inspections?

what's the projected cost?

I'll get a fiscal note attached to the bill that will estimate the cost. We already have some enforcement mechanism in place in NC of some sort. By joining them together it should save lots of money, but we will see what Fiscal Research says, and determine from there.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Awesome work Glen, really.

Have you gotten enough input on the "terror training camp" bill?

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Have you gotten enough input on the "terror training camp" bill?

Still working on the PCS...what I have for now is good, I plan on finishing the draft tonight and running the PCS through my local Ron Pauler law student for final tuning before handing it to Ric Killian. It may be close to 2-3AM before the PCS is complete and I'll post a copy in the thread we discussed it in.

nayjevin
02-27-2011, 09:44 PM

+1

... but this is more government. Don't the companies that are GMO and rGBH free love to advertise that fact? Then the others are 'unlabeled' already. I'd prefer a public service announcement of this fact, though even that isn't a fair place for forced money.

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM
+1

... but this is more government. Don't the companies that are GMO and rGBH free love to advertise that fact? Then the others are 'unlabeled' already. I'd prefer a public service announcement of this fact, though even that isn't a fair place for forced money.

The reason I believe this to be a good place for the State to get involved, is because companies who voluntarily label their products as "GMO-Free" or "rGBH-Free" get their pants sued off by Monsanto until they either give up the label or get driven out of business.

That is exactly the sort of scenario where State level government is supposed to stand up for the consumer, when you have an artificially overlarge corporate entity effectively overpowering popular will, an elected STATE (not federal, this distinction is critical) government can take the will of the people and face down a Monsanto.

The better option may have been to explicitly allow non-GMO companies and non rBGH dairies to label their products thusly, but then they will just get competitive back-pressure from Monsanto to drive them under.

The primary reason I think it's a good idea to mandate GMO and rBGH labeling here is because Monsanto is an 1800 lb gorilla who will not hesitate to crush smaller entities at will. The only way to counter that kind of force is with the 1200 lb gorilla of State government.

Mind you, I am MORE than aware that Monsanto is the creation of government granted monopolisitc power, but I have to deal with the world of reality in which Monsanto exists. If I'm getting rushed by zombie hoards I am NOT going to discard an AA12 automatic shotgun in favor of a bolt-action 30-06 because it's more elegant.

If Monsanto didn't exist or wasn't a factor, then I'd agree that mandating labeling is a misuse of State government power. But since it DOES exist, and has the ability and the will to destroy any company who labels "GMO/rGBH Free" whether it's explicitly allowed or not, then I am willing to fight power with power.

That was my thought process here anyway.

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
+1

emphasis added...

Yes, they WOULD love to advertise that fact, but everyone who has tried gets annihilated by Monsanto, so eventually they stopped trying. :(

There are several people hanging around these forums who know the whole story about Monsanto and the labeling debacle for GMO-Free and rBGH-Free. The companies who don't use that poison have tried labeling, believe me. Monsanto is far and away worse than the Mafia here.

I hope someone who is more of an expert in what has been happening with this over the last 15 years will see this thread and explain it a bit more deeply.

nayjevin
02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I happen to know abit about Monsanto so I see where you're coming from on this, thanks.