PDA

View Full Version : Three more bills into drafting today

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I am still working the PCS (Proposed Committee Substitute) for the terrorism bil. Thanks a million for all your help!

In the interim, I have just submitted three more bills to drafting to get ahead of the deadline:

BILL 1: BAN WARRANTLESS AND SUSPICIONLESS CHECKSTOP ROADBLOCKS IN NORTH CAROLINA

Ban Warrantless Checkstops - North Carolina law enforcement officials and officers may not use roadblocks to sweep for random offenses. Roadblocks may be used as cordons for capturing a specifically named offender that has an arrest warrant, but those roadblocks may not ticket or cite drivers for other unrelated violations such as safety inspections or registrations or expired licenses etc, only issue verbal/written warnings without actual citations. Other drivers who have standing warrants for arrest may be arrested, but a roadblock for the purposes of 'sweeping' for violations are not allowed. Roadblocks encountering drunk drivers (DUI) shall advise the drunk drivers to stop and either call someone to collect them, or remain parked until morning, but they may not issue DUI citations unless the driver ignores that advice and continues to drive beyond the roadblock.

BILL 2: REQUIRE LABELING FOR GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD AND DAIRY PRODUCTS THAT HAVE BEEN ENHANCED BY GROWTH HORMONES.

Label GMO foodstuffs and rGBH dairy - All foodstuffs that contain Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) material and all dairy products that contain Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormones (rBGH) milk, to be sold in NC must include labeling no smaller than the ingredients list, and accompanying the ingredients list, identifying the product as containing GMO or rGBH material.

BILL 3: COUNTY COMMISSIONERS BOARDS MAY OPT TO HOLD SPECIAL ELECTIONS WHENEVER THE NORTH CAROLINA GENERAL STATUTES DIRECT THEM TO APPOINT REPLACEMENTS FOR PUBLIC ELECTED OFFICES.

County Commissioners may opt for Special Election when faced with Appointments - if a county commissioners board is faced with appointing any elected office, they may instead choose to make a temporary appointment and hold a special election at a time and a manner they shall choose.

Southron
02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all your hard work Sir. They look good to me.

malkusm
02-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Big big fan of the first bill. Hope you get some decent support from members on both sides of the aisle. :)

JVParkour
02-27-2011, 07:26 PM
On the first one, the only thing I noticed was the use of the word "morning." I would substitute this, because the time of day of the roadblocks could vary. I know most of the drunk people would be in the evening, but that is just something I noticed. Love them though! Awesome work!

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
On the first one, the only thing I noticed was the use of the word "morning." I would substitute this, because the time of day of the roadblocks could vary. I know most of the drunk people would be in the evening, but that is just something I noticed. Love them though! Awesome work!

Thanks man, I'd like to use better language there, but we won't even know what the language is until they come out of drafting. I couldn't exactly say "8 hours" because one guy could be sober in 2 hours and another could take 10.

Maybe 'until they are below the legal limit' ? hmm. that's kinda weird and sticky. Like he's gonne keep going up to the cops every hour or so blowing on the breathalyzer until he is below the limit lol. I'll figure out some good way to specify the wait time I am sure...

JVParkour
02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Yea man, I had the same problem you did of thinking of a proper way to specify time, but hey, I am sure you will get it lookin' really nice here soon! Good luck with that terrorism bill, try to get some sleep tonight!

Elwar
02-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks man, I'd like to use better language there, but we won't even know what the language is until they come out of drafting. I couldn't exactly say "8 hours" because one guy could be sober in 2 hours and another could take 10.

Maybe 'until they are below the legal limit' ? hmm. that's kinda weird and sticky. Like he's gonne keep going up to the cops every hour or so blowing on the breathalyzer until he is below the limit lol. I'll figure out some good way to specify the wait time I am sure...

Here in Florida when you're arrested for a DUI you're put in jail for a minimum of 8 hours. That would appear to have some precedent.

However, I can see a lot of trouble coming from this sort of approach.
Firstly, the pulling over for 8 hours is in the gray zone of being "voluntary". You're basically detaining someone under threat of more severe punishment. Relieving someone of their liberty or property requires due process of law.
Secondly, can you imagine if a buttload of people are given this "suggesstion" after a big football game, Gamecocks or Duke game...dozens of cars pulled over next to a traffic stop, with a bunch of drunk partiers stranded there for 8 hours...?
I can see this being abused as a "DUI-light" traffic stop. Where concerned police go and grab a name of someone out on a bail violation in the area and use it to create a traffic stop. They then go car by car and tell the person that they think that they've been drinking and give them the alternatives. No proof needed.

I'd elminate the whole last sentence of it. It's asking for too much trouble.

Elwar
02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Also, though I support knowing what's going on with my food. I don't see it as the government's place to regulate it. It's like putting a label on tobacco or making McDonalds list the amount of calories on their Big Mac.

You're trying to influence what people eat and what is sold. Why only GMO foods? Why not require companies to have labels if their product has preservatives, or trans fat or corn syrup, etc.

Chester Copperpot
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
God Bless ya Gunny...