PDA

View Full Version : LULZ- Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh all members of AFL-CIO

teacherone
02-27-2011, 02:38 AM
and the circus continues...

Confirmed: Union-Bashing Right-Wing Media Stars Hannity, Limbaugh and O'Reilly Are AFL-CIO Union-Affiliated Members
In spite of their criticism of unions in Wisconsin, AlterNet has confirmed that leading right-wing pundits are American Federation Television and Radio Artists union members.
February 26, 2011

When it comes to the Wisconsin union fights, right-wing pundits Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh have a couple of things in common. For starters, have all voiced their opposition to the plight of public employee unions in the state.

On Feb. 18, Limbaugh said on his radio program, "We are either on the side of the Wisconsin protesters or we are on the side of our country." Hannity has featured several guests critical of the union and its supporters, including Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, on his Fox News television and radio shows.

On the Feb. 18 edition of "The O'Reilly Factor," O'Reilly stated, "Governments can't afford to operate" because of "union wages and benefits." But it turns out that opposing workers' rights isn't the only thing these blowhards have in common.

As it turns out, all three of them belong to the American Federation Television and Radio Artists union (AFTRA), which is the AFL-CIO affiliate for television and broadcast workers.

http://www.alternet.org/story/150054/confirmed:_union-bashing_right-wing_media_stars_hannity,_limbaugh_and_o'reilly_ar e_afl-cio_union_affiliated_members?page=1

Mike4Freedom
02-27-2011, 02:51 AM
The thing about this is just because someone is a part of a union does not make them pro union. My job is a union job at a private company where you have to join the union. I am totally against public unions and disagree some of the stuff that goes on in private unions(Violence and intimidation during picketing and the misuse of pension funds.)

Now back to what you posted above. Those 3 people to me are pure propaganda, so this does not suprised me. While public sector unions do cause problems, companies getting bailouts and the wars overseas cost a hell of a lot more. If they did not bailout banks, give subsidies, and ended our overseas empire, we could get such a big federal tax cut that a small rate rise in state tax would be almost nothing.

I am for the solution of ending public sector unions and ending bailouts, subsidies, and imperialism.

akforme
02-27-2011, 02:58 AM
public / private.

I've been watching reddit today, and I'm beginning to root for the collapse, Americans are retarded. How hard is that concept? I also love the debate that if you aren't for this union, you are for corporations running the world.

sailingaway
02-27-2011, 06:19 AM
To be fair, I don't think they have a choice, it is like those closed shop places, to work in media/film.

And I agree that the idea of PUBLIC unions where supposedly it is a government job precisely BECAUSE it is vital, and strikes will hurt worse, and where the 'faceless taxpayers' are stuck paying for benefits so there is no real negotiation on the other side.... is much worse.

Feeding the Abscess
02-27-2011, 07:13 AM
In BillO's defense, he's said a few times that "I'm a union guy" on his show.

Probably the last time I'll ever defend him.

payme_rick
02-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Yah, like those guys or not (not), just because you're in a private union does not mean you have to be pro-public unions..

I wouldn't be able to present this arguement with a straight face because it's not an honest one whatsoever...

TheDriver
02-27-2011, 11:24 AM
If I had to join the AFL-CIO to be a television or radio pundit, I wouldn't take the job. There is no way in hell I would join a group associated with Richard Trumka.

Agorism
02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Yep this is a private sector union not public.

angelatc
02-27-2011, 12:20 PM
If I had to join the AFL-CIO to be a television or radio pundit, I wouldn't take the job. There is no way in hell I would join a group associated with Richard Trumka.

William Buckley had to go to court against the AFL/CIO over this. If he had lost, only union members would be allowed to appear on television, period. As it stands now, they still have the right to compel membership and collect fees in New York, because NY isn't a "right to work" state.

Which does not explain Limbaugh's membership - he left NY a few years ago. But I think that the actors union probably serves a valuable function for the employees in that industry. It certainly seems they haven't priced themselves out of profitability yet.

sailingaway
02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
William Buckley had to go to court against the AFL/CIO over this. If he had lost, only union members would be allowed to appear on television, period. As it stands now, they still have the right to compel membership and collect fees in New York, because NY isn't a "right to work" state.

Which does not explain Limbaugh's membership - he left NY a few years ago. But I think that the actors union probably serves a valuable function for the employees in that industry. It certainly seems they haven't priced themselves out of profitability yet.

But all his pension/health care etc from compensation is tied up in the union, I would think.

angelatc
02-27-2011, 01:07 PM
But all his pension/health care etc from compensation is tied up in the union, I would think.

I won't pretend to be a union expert, but I doubt that one forfeits those deferred compensations if one lets the union membership lapse. But knowing how addicted the unions are to the dues, I could easily be wrong.

It's probably not a bad idea for them, especially since the day of the contract studio actor is pretty much over, to offer those benefits to people who would otherwise be treated as independent contractors. Plus they have teams of contract lawyers who have to think about how technology will affect the those contracts in the future. Guys like Limbaugh and Hannity can afford these things on their own, but I daresay that most of the members in these unions aren't multi-millionaires.

brenden.b
02-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Thank you for pointing this out. There are plenty of people in non-Right to Work states who are forced to join a union, or pay dues to a union in order to get or keep their job. Simply pointing out that O'Reilly and company are part of a union, therefore negating their criticism, is ridiculous. Now, I certainly won't say that O'Reilly and company are deserving of criticism for many other reasons, but this one just doesn't work.

I was forced to pay a fee to a union when I worked for the DNR in Michigan, and I didn't like it one bit. In fact, you probably won't find a more vocal opponent of forced-unionism on this board.

sratiug
02-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Thank you for pointing this out. There are plenty of people in non-Right to Work states who are forced to join a union, or pay dues to a union in order to get or keep their job. Simply pointing out that O'Reilly and company are part of a union, therefore negating their criticism, is ridiculous. Now, I certainly won't say that O'Reilly and company are deserving of criticism for many other reasons, but this one just doesn't work.

I was forced to pay a fee to a union when I worked for the DNR in Michigan, and I didn't like it one bit. In fact, you probably won't find a more vocal opponent of forced-unionism on this board.

They could quit their jobs and move to a right to work state. FOX could move their operations to a right to work state. Maybe we should start a campaign to clean up FOX and move it to Mississippi, the only conservative state, lol. Shep Smith is from here, and he at least is against torture. If we could control the legislature of a state where some of these major media corporations are chartered we could regulate them whatever way we wished, including regulating them out of business.

doodle
02-27-2011, 01:35 PM
If this is true, doesn't this make them at least partial hypocrites?

payme_rick
02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
If this is true, doesn't this make them at least partial hypocrites?

I don't see how this makes them hypocrites... it's just a pointless fact that these guys are members of a private union and slam public unions... it's pretty much a nothing story, not even worth serious debate honestly...

These types of "facts" are fodder for ignorant people only, and we here at RPF are not ignorant (I hope)...