PDA

View Full Version : An Appeal To The Left: "The Change You Wanted - Ron Paul 2012" Video

KramerDSP
02-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I've been playing around with the script for this video and finally came to something I felt satisfied with. I bought some video editing software, and was able to create a new YouTube video called "The Change You Wanted - Ron Paul 2012".

This video, like "Ron Paul's Transition Plan", (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3iK6Hy6xMA)is designed to appeal to the senses of the Anti-War Left, the Independents, the true Progressives, and the disillusioned Obama supporters from 2008. What I tried to do was paint a contrast between 2007's promises and the reality three years later, while hammering home Ron Paul's key points.

There's no music on the video, despite the suggestions many on the forum gave me about doing that. I know the foggiest thing about music, so I didn't want to mess up the video with a crappy song or sound. If anyone wants to rip it and add the music to make it more viral-appealing, be my guest. Only on one condition, though. I would ask that you PM me to get the subtitle file, as I want every version of the video to be subtitled everywhere.

I hope you all enjoy it. If you do, please spread the word to those you feel would benefit from it. Die-hard Republicans would probably be the least likely audience. The length of the video is 15 minutes, but I think it goes by pretty fast. I also linked RPF at the top of the summary section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-dFVQoCbnE

QueenB4Liberty
02-27-2011, 12:03 AM
That was good!!

freshjiva
02-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Solid video.

I think another way to get closer to the true Progressives is how the philosophy of liberty is the enemy of racism and prejudice.
Liberty is the antithesis to collectivism, which gives birth to things like religious fundamentalism, racism, hate, and prejudice that divides people.
Ron Paul talks about this during an interview with Stossel back in 2007.

Another way to make some bridges with honest Leftists is how the concept of liberty is inclusive to all people, including gays, because it removes government from the institution of marriage. It also removes government involvement with drug use, thus ending the brutalities of the drug wars.

low preference guy
02-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Kramer, are you planning to post this at the DailyPaul as well?

KramerDSP
02-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Kramer, are you planning to post this at the DailyPaul as well?

Yep, just did.

April1775
02-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Good tactic.

amy31416
02-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Well done compilation.

Echoes
02-27-2011, 12:57 AM
I think overall its a waste of time going after so called progressives, a few might trickle on over but i am positive they're not the path to victory. Besides, he has to get the Republican nomination first.

Rothbardian Girl
02-27-2011, 12:57 AM
I actually sat and watched this video all the way through, which is rare for a 15 minute video clip. You did a good job of keeping my attention. Of course I'm a bit biased since I already support Paul, but any intelligent "true progressive" will at least be made to think about things a little more closely.

Thank you for your effort! I hope it reaches many people.

I think overall its a waste of time going after so called progressives, a few might trickle on over but im positive they are not the path to victory. Besides, he has to get the Republican nomination first.

STRONGLY disagree. I think it will be much, much harder to get the average neo-con, war hawk conservative on our side. Both sides are tough nuts to crack, but it is just impossible to reason with the average pro-war "conservative". They don't have a problem with war, eroding civil liberties or even continuing social programs like SS and Medicare. They are also on average fiercely partisan. Your average conservatives claim to be fond of the Constitution but they continue to destroy it while they are in office. At least we can see eye to eye with REAL progressives (not Democrats) on subjects like social issues and war issues, as well as corporatism and all of those associated evils. HOWEVER - I do realize that most partisan Dems are just as bad. They seem to have also abandoned their anti-war mantra.

However, all this isn't as important as noting that our movement will be the strongest if we can get people from both camps to see our viewpoint and "wake up" in a sense. I agree, we will likely not see many partisan Democrats or partisan Republicans trickling over. If we can exploit the dissent within both parties, we might have something here.

Wren
02-27-2011, 01:25 AM
That was a great video, but I would just try to shorten the video to 7 minutes or less if you want people to watch it and not just dismiss it and say "tl;dw"

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
02-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Awesome video. I literally sat captivated for the whole thing and then promptly shared the link on youtube when I was done watching. Bravo to you!

Working Poor
02-27-2011, 05:40 AM
I think you should title the video the same as this thread. It is very good though.

ChristianAnarchist
02-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Great video. You need to work on the soundtrack to equalize the levels. Some clips are too loud and others are too soft. As far as a music track, my observations on music tracks are that many times they are too loud and drown out the audio. Mixing must be done so that everything can be heard clearly and sometimes what you hear as you mix on your computer and what others hear as they listen on youtube are not the same. During the last campaign there were so many good RP videos that were almost unbearable because of loud dramatic accompanied soundtracks...

BuddyRey
02-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Outstanding! Thumbed-up, favorited, and sent out on my Twitter feed. I hope every disaffected Obama voter sees this!

Chester Copperpot
02-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Ive only been able to watch 5 minutes of it.. but so far its great..

I thought 15 minutes was going to be too long.. but its not.. this is a great vehicle for anybody who wants the war over with.

Chester Copperpot
02-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeah when I come back i gotta finish watching it and put it on my facebook.. ive got a lot of friends on there who dont like the war.

Travlyr
02-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Nice work!

AlexMerced
02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
I think anyone on either side would enjoy that video, it's attacks on healthcare would definetley bring over conservatives, although the first on war would attract progressives.

Invi
02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Great video. You need to work on the soundtrack to equalize the levels. Some clips are too loud and others are too soft. As far as a music track, my observations on music tracks are that many times they are too loud and drown out the audio. Mixing must be done so that everything can be heard clearly and sometimes what you hear as you mix on your computer and what others hear as they listen on youtube are not the same. During the last campaign there were so many good RP videos that were almost unbearable because of loud dramatic accompanied soundtracks...

This, for sure. Had to keep adjusting the volume, turn it up.. get blasted when it switched clips, turn it down, can't hear the next one. :c
Otherwise, I think it was a good video. Just a little long.

ItsTime
02-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Although the video is good anti-war videos will not win the Republican nomination.

nayjevin
02-27-2011, 09:35 AM
This, for sure. Had to keep adjusting the volume, turn it up.. get blasted when it switched clips, turn it down, can't hear the next one. :c
Otherwise, I think it was a good video. Just a little long.

I didn't notice either of those things myself. I wonder about the reaction of the 'FAIL' clip. But I love the video :)

pcosmar
02-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I think overall its a waste of time going after so called progressives, a few might trickle on over but i am positive they're not the path to victory. Besides, he has to get the Republican nomination first.

Or an end run around them. It may be time for an independent run.

Yieu
02-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Although the video is good anti-war videos will not win the Republican nomination.

I think that good anti-war messages are how we will win with the young people, and will certainly help our cause, as ending the wars is essential to liberty.

pacelli
02-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Brilliant job. You came at it from a different angle that I think is quite helpful. You basically used the left's own media mouthpieces to demonstrate how their own core values have been completely abandoned. Bravo!@

KramerDSP
02-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the comments. They're appreciated. I know it's not perfect, but it's another tool we can use for fence-sitters.

TomtheTinker
02-27-2011, 01:38 PM

I can't help but disagree with this statement. The fact is RP has much in common with people who would consider themselves left of center.

There are millions of people who hold the war as their #1 issue and for a fraction of them war is the only issue. These voters could also be motivated(maybe even motivated enough to vote in a Republican primary) if the circumstances are right.

For instance these voters could be motivated if there were some sort of an acceleration of violence and deaths of American troops. Which is somewhat likely due to the current uprisings across north Africa and in the middle east. Obama is clearly going to have some difficulties appealing to the anti-war crowd..

under certain conditions Ron Paul may end up being this voting block's only choice.

doodle
02-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I've been playing around with the script for this video and finally came to something I felt satisfied with. I bought some video editing software, and was able to create a new YouTube video called "The Change You Wanted - Ron Paul 2012".

This video, like "Ron Paul's Transition Plan", (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3iK6Hy6xMA)is designed to appeal to the senses of the Anti-War Left, the Independents, the true Progressives, and the disillusioned Obama supporters from 2008. What I tried to do was paint a contrast between 2007's promises and the reality three years later, while hammering home Ron Paul's key points.

There's no music on the video, despite the suggestions many on the forum gave me about doing that. I know the foggiest thing about music, so I didn't want to mess up the video with a crappy song or sound. If anyone wants to rip it and add the music to make it more viral-appealing, be my guest. Only on one condition, though. I would ask that you PM me to get the subtitle file, as I want every version of the video to be subtitled everywhere.

I hope you all enjoy it. If you do, please spread the word to those you feel would benefit from it. Die-hard Republicans would probably be the least likely audience. The length of the video is 15 minutes, but I think it goes by pretty fast. I also linked RPF at the top of the summary section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-dFVQoCbnE

Damn. Excellent video.

This video must go viral.

KramerDSP
02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I think you should title the video the same as this thread. It is very good though.

Just changed the title. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yieu
02-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I liked it quite a bit, though some of the switching from scene to scene was too abrupt, and that was distracting. Thanks for making the video.

I think focusing on the anti-war position is how we will gain legitimacy with the majority of America, because it is the principled and peaceful position. Now if only more people in this nation realized that we should be focusing on ending the wars.

muzzled dogg
02-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Subscribed to thread

KramerDSP
02-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm working on another one entirely focused on Paul's take on Civil Liberties, Social Security and Medicaid. Everything from the war on drugs to the TSA to the federal death penalty. What would be an ideal title? And would 10 minutes be better than 15?

ItsTime
02-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I think that good anti-war messages are how we will win with the young people, and will certainly help our cause, as ending the wars is essential to liberty.

Young people dont vote. But I agree with you.

Yieu
02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Young people dont vote. But I agree with you.

Let me clarify: I meant young voters (18-30+), not people too young to vote.

PermanentSleep
02-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Really great video! Keep up the good work!!!:collins:

ForLibertyFight
02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Great video.

JoshLowry
02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Thank you for the link Kramer. Promoted to front page.

Nicely done vid.

emazur
02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Very nicely done - I hadn't seen that Morning Joe clip and I really liked it. Also, those last pictures at the end were the icing on the cake

BucksforPaul
02-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm working on another one entirely focused on Paul's take on Civil Liberties, Social Security and Medicaid. Everything from the war on drugs to the TSA to the federal death penalty. What would be an ideal title? And would 10 minutes be better than 15?

+rep

Keep up the great work! Maybe you can split up the topics you mentioned into separate videos. For example you can do one about social security and medicaid and another about civil liberties, war on drugs, and TSA. Anywhere between the 5 to 10 minutes would be perfect. You did a great job on this one.

Umbro2914
02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Let me clarify: I meant young voters (18-30+), not people too young to vote.
I think he understood what you meant, but the original statement still holds, young people, as a demographic, do not really vote, or do not vote enough in comparison to other age groups.

surf
02-27-2011, 07:17 PM
i enjoyed that. but i've got to disagree with the above sentiment. many of us here are (or at least i am) selling Dr. Paul as the anti-war pro-pot (freedom) guy. i can recruit people to our cause with this simple message that has massive appeal to the "left": end these fucking wars and save a shitload of (or use "cut spending" if the person is at all cognizant of the debt).

the anti-war message, i've found, does not appeal to most of the current republican establishment and they set the tone for local and regional unwritten directives for who the "regular" republicans must support. their is a vast pool of Obamabots and folks that supported him for various other reasons that must be disappointed yet may need to be told why. these folks are a alrgely untapped pool of new blood. and these are the folks that i will encourage and take with me when our precinct caucuses are held.

in primary states this group of voters will probably be free-agents as they will have no reason to beat off Hillary and could be convinced to once again cast a vote with pride for a real anti-war candidate.

speciallyblend
02-27-2011, 07:34 PM
I think he understood what you meant, but the original statement still holds, young people, as a demographic, do not really vote, or do not vote enough in comparison to other age groups.

anyone under 65 that is younger then 65 and hip to the revolution. does that work for you? damn cats geezzz the quickest way to reform the gop is to lobby congress to ban fibilators!!

heavenlyboy34
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
anyone under 65 that is younger then 55 and hip to the revolution. does that work for you? damn cats geezzz the quickest way to reform the gop is to lobby congress to ban fibilators!!

fibilators? You mean fibulators?

OneLife33
02-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I really enjoyed the video. I will be using the examples often when discussing politics with Obama supporters and when online, I'll link to this video. Thanks for the great work.

Working Poor
02-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Just changed the title. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have been sharing it across the web hope it gets a lot of hits!!!

KramerDSP
02-27-2011, 09:48 PM
I have been sharing it across the web hope it gets a lot of hits!!!

Can you gimme a suggestion on a title for a video I'm close to working on that outlines Ron Paul's positions on the War on Drugs/Marijuana legalization? The way the video plays out, it opens with 2004 Obama saying the war on drugs is a disaster, but that he does not support legalization. It shifts to RP's stances, and back to Obama in 2008 laughing off a question about marijuana legalization. Throughout the video, the tone is that Obama agrees the war on drugs is flawed and that the focus should be on care and prevention, but it is clear that RP is speaking openly and freely, while Obama is hedging and being nuanced in his views. What title would be fitting that summarizes all of this?

"Speaking Truth to Power on the War on Drugs: Who makes more sense?"

Uggh. Drawing blanks. Help!

speciallyblend
02-27-2011, 09:50 PM
fibilators? You mean fibulators?

yeah typo, oops who needs to worry about typos i will just let heavenlyboy correct them;)

Working Poor
02-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Can you gimme a suggestion on a title for a video I'm close to working on that outlines Ron Paul's positions on the War on Drugs/Marijuana legalization? The way the video plays out, it opens with 2004 Obama saying the war on drugs is a disaster, but that he does not support legalization. It shifts to RP's stances, and back to Obama in 2008 laughing off a question about marijuana legalization. Throughout the video, the tone is that Obama agrees the war on drugs is flawed and that the focus should be on care and prevention, but it is clear that RP is speaking openly and freely, while Obama is hedging and being nuanced in his views. What title would be fitting that summarizes all of this?

"Speaking Truth to Power on the War on Drugs: Who makes more sense?"

Uggh. Drawing blanks. Help!

I like:

"Speaking Truth To Power on the War on Drugs"

nayjevin
02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Having Ron Paul and Obama and War on Drugs would catch a lot of searches i think.

speciallyblend
02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Having Ron Paul and Obama and War on Drugs would catch a lot of searches i think.

this^^^^^^^^

outspoken
02-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Good job, I think more on the left would like to hear about a politician from 'the dark side' that supports equal rights and civil liberties particularly in the realm of sexuality and marriage. You might wanna go there if you can find a good clip. Get govt out of our bedrooms and trying to define what love is. That is not the role of govt.

ItsTime
02-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Please do not get me wrong it is a good vid. I just think the focus should be on what unites us annd the neo cons. Then move on to this issue after ron wins.

April1775
02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
That was a great video, but I would just try to shorten the video to 7 minutes or less if you want people to watch it and not just dismiss it and say "tl;dw"

I would recommend a much shorter edit than that. The average length of a YouTube video that goes viral is two minutes. you can put a comment link at the end that says "for more info click here" and link to the longer video. Think 'TV commercial" rather than "political treatise."

I know it can be hard to think of what to cut, in something that's really good, but really, your TITLE alone says it all "Attention Left: The Change You Wanted".....just extrapolate that to a really punchy less-than-two minutes and it will likely reach a lot more eyes. Maybe don't even put "Ron Paul" in the title. put it in the video and in the content tags, but lefties largely hate him. Start with "so you voted for obama, and we're still at war, etc...." THEN bring in Ron Paul.

KramerDSP
02-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Just finished "The War On Drugs: Ron Paul vs. Barack Obama". This one was only a tad bit shorter, but it's really hard to cut good stuff. I'd like to think the average American who is interested in this topic would have an attention span longer than 5 minutes. Hope you all like it. Spread it around if you can!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKYmWVDyM5c

low preference guy
02-27-2011, 11:39 PM
can't watch it now, but look forward to watching it tomorrow

JoshLowry
02-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Another great one!

I registered PAULVSOBAMA.com a few days ago.

If you want to use the domain, let me know.

A clear concise page with your kinds of videos will hopefully encourage some ex-obama general election supporters to come out for the GOP primary.

If we can frame Paul having the greatest chance of defeating Obama, then we can win the primary. Vids like yours can do it.

AlienLanes82
02-28-2011, 12:49 AM
I suggest you make a 3-4 minute version of each. Less is more.

I mean, I'm a RP fan and I'm not even going to watch a 10-15 minute video unless I'm really, really sold that it's specifically something I want to learn about.

JoshLowry
02-28-2011, 12:55 AM
I suggest you make a 3-4 minute version of each. Less is more.

I mean, I'm a RP fan and I'm not even going to watch a 10-15 minute video unless I'm really, really sold that it's specifically something I want to learn about.

Maybe two versions? One as a trailer for an extended edition.

amy31416
02-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Kramer's really good with the long videos, obviously. Perhaps there could be a collaboration with someone who's good at distilling each of the videos down to ~2 minutes, since it's (understandably) quite difficult to cut up something you've created.

One of my favorite 30s videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Med926aDBoc

Romulus
02-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Just finished "The War On Drugs: Ron Paul vs. Barack Obama". This one was only a tad bit shorter, but it's really hard to cut good stuff. I'd like to think the average American who is interested in this topic would have an attention span longer than 5 minutes. Hope you all like it. Spread it around if you can!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKYmWVDyM5c

While I agree 110%, I don't think this is the way to win the GOP primary - keep this one for going head to head with Oblabla.

KramerDSP
02-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. The Change You Wanted will get 5,000 hits within 48 hours of posting, which is great. If only 5 people were convinced and decided to go all-in with Ron, thats 5 more supporters who are working to get more supporters. If anyone with video editing skills related to sound, text, etc. wanted to work together with me on creating a video called "Civil Liberties: Barack Obama versus Ron Paul", PM me. I have a general bones of the script ready, and just need to add the meat and make it all flow together cohesively. As you can tell by the way I write, I have a hard time condensing things, and tend to lay it all out there, so maybe I could just produce that script and let you all fight over how to condense it and make it flow snappily (if that's a word).

JoshLowry
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. The Change You Wanted will get 5,000 hits within 48 hours of posting, which is great. If only 5 people were convinced and decided to go all-in with Ron, thats 5 more supporters who are working to get more supporters. If anyone with video editing skills related to sound, text, etc. wanted to work together with me on creating a video called "Civil Liberties: Barack Obama versus Ron Paul", PM me. I have a general bones of the script ready, and just need to add the meat and make it all flow together cohesively. As you can tell by the way I write, I have a hard time condensing things, and tend to lay it all out there, so maybe I could just produce that script and let you all fight over how to condense it and make it flow snappily (if that's a word).

Bump. I know one of your vids got popular over at reddit.

Few feedback comments you might have missed: http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/fupfd/the_war_on_drugs_ron_paul_versus_barack_obama/

Forum members you might want to contact: aravoth, adamt, bryan, zach They've all made excellent videos. I'm forgetting a number of others...

I really think framing this election as GOP candidates vs Obama works best for Ron. He is at the top of the heap when it comes to defeating the encumbant.

KramerDSP
03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I really think framing this election as GOP candidates vs Obama works best for Ron. He is at the top of the heap when it comes to defeating the encumbant.

So far, what we have are compliations on:

- Ron Paul's transition plan (were he to become President)
- Paul vs. Obama on the War on Drugs
- An Appeal to the Left (comparison of RP and Obama on the wars + critique of discrepancy between Senator Obama and President Obama)

Where do you think we should go next? I was thinking of going with a 5-minute video of Ron Paul on Social Security and Medicaid and/or a 10-minute video with Paul vs. Obama on civil liberties, torture, etc. I'm concerned that the second video may be somewhat redundant with what I already have though. I'm going to try and get a sound equalizer plug-in and work on the jump cuts to make them less jarring. Other suggestions on themes would be great.

- False/Left Right Paradigm? This would feature tons of Paul footage criticizing both parties as being in bed with each other and nothing ever changing
- RP on the Fed and the Economy
- An actual debate between Ron Paul and Obama, using footage from the 2007 debates? Just brainstorming here...

KramerDSP
03-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Bump. I know one of your vids got popular over at reddit.

Few feedback comments you might have missed: http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/fupfd/the_war_on_drugs_ron_paul_versus_barack_obama/

I found two hole-in-the-wall forums (an insurance agent forum and a dating website) discussing the "Appeal" video. There were some very encouraging comments from people who don't seem to be on this forum.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/appeal-left-change-you-wanted-ron-paul-2012-a-thread28961.html

http://www.datehookup.com/Thread-615749.htm (http://www.datehookup.com/Thread-615749.htm)

skyorbit
03-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Bump

KramerDSP
03-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the bump!

Some of you may have not seen this video I've made since the thread died down, called "Got Liberty?". It's not perfect, but I don't think it's terrible either, FWIW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuWvFoqWdCU

Wolverine302
03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
i think when you transitioned between ideas and views between the two, you needed a caption:

ie:

Ron Paul on the War, Obama on the War before he was president, Obama on the war AFTER he was president. the clip could use more lies created by him, such as the idea of putting a bill on the white house website for everyone to see before he signs it, the open door policy of debating laws he had, and then a screen shot of a headline showing how he had closed door discussions with pharma and the washington elite behind closed doors, how he woulnd't tax pensions to fund health care, then showing the opposite, and then how the middle class wouldnt get taxed, and then show the george stephenopolus interview with him saying 'your reaching with your webster dictionary", and then of course, show ron paul's view right after each contradiction.

:cool: