PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Radio needs logistics help!

mdh
10-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi folks,
Austin Seraphin and I will be live on site for Ron Paul Radio. We need some logistical help in terms of broadcasting though; minimally, we need internet connectivity and power. Please please please if you can help post here or email mdh@solitox.net. If you can or would like to support us in any other ways please say so as well.

Thank you so much for supporting Ron Paul Radio!

brandon
10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Some areas of philly have free wifi.

I can check at the rally site later this week to see if it is available. How much bandwidth do you need to broadcast?

abstrusezincate
10-24-2007, 10:49 AM
No guarantees, but I believe that you'll have wifi access.

AFTFNJ
10-24-2007, 03:59 PM
I have a generator if needed? Can get a Verzion card for a day & return it! HEHEHE

mdh
11-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Still nothing as far as network connectivity for us. Anyone? :(

freedominnumbers
11-07-2007, 09:08 AM
I believe the I Mall website says they have WIFI. maybe someone in Philly can cruise by and see what the signal range is.

Bradley in DC
11-07-2007, 09:28 AM
It's great to work with these guys who do a bang up job even when working with, um, big personalities :o with big demands :eek: and limited technical capabilities. ;)

iladelphxx
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
http://www.wirelessphiladelphia.org/

Most of Philadelphia is covered, especially the Independence Hall area.

Sematary
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Have you contacted Jesse Benson?

mdh
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.wirelessphiladelphia.org/

Most of Philadelphia is covered, especially the Independence Hall area.

During an event of this size, I do not believe it is wise to rely on a large public network to provide the level of stability and the necessary bandwidth for us to broadcast a stream that sounds decent.

I am looking to work out something reliable for us so that the broadcast goes off without a hitch. :)

uncloned21
11-07-2007, 04:31 PM
During an event of this size, I do not believe it is wise to rely on a large public network to provide the level of stability and the necessary bandwidth for us to broadcast a stream that sounds decent.

I am looking to work out something reliable for us so that the broadcast goes off without a hitch. :)

sounds like youll need a pc card from a wireless provider like sprint, at&t, verizon, whatever is available there

AFTFNJ
11-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Need me to bring the generator? If so what time should I be there?

mdh
11-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Need me to bring the generator? If so what time should I be there?

Yes please, per Ed. I am still not sure what time, Austin should have that info soon.

By the way, does anyone possibly have some sort of tent? The campaign folks are giving us a table, and AFTFNJ has our power covered, but if it rains it would be nice to be covered. :)

Also the internet connectivity is still up in the air so if anyone can help with that please please please get in touch.

Thanks!

mdh
11-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Or failing a tent, a very large picnic umbrella might work. I don't mind being rained on, but the laptops will, and holding up a hand-held umbrella seems like it will get cumbersome fast. :p

James Weaver
11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Austin,

I can't help with logistics. But someone needs to get the message out to Dr. Paul to really rally the supporters at the Philadelphia rally and strongly endorse the Dec. 16 fundraiser.

What happened in the last fundraiser was amazing. I firmly believe that if Dr. Paul stood up in front of a wild crowd and made a statement like, "Let's show the demagogues trying to marginalize the campaign we mean business. Make history by donating all you can on Dec. 16."

Based on what happened Nov. 5, I wouldn't be surprised if he tripled the funding. Especially if he had a youtube video and had it go out on ronpaul radio. I've written to Lew Rockwell and he loved the idea. But I have no idea how to get the word to Dr. Paul. Maybe you guys know how to get the word to him.

mdh
11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi James,
Austin doesn't use ronpaulforums.com due to signup requirements which he cannot meet. I can say that you would have to speak to the campaign folks about anything of that sort, though I am not sure that he would officially endorse the grassroots events of this sort, as they are just that - grassroots. You may wish to speak to Mr. Bydlak, who is the fundraising director at the campaign.

We are still looking for firm commitments on internet connectivity and some sort of rain protection (large tent, large picnic umbrella).

Thanks to all who are helping out. Anyone who cannot contribute to logistics can also contribute to Ron Paul Radio via paypal by clicking the contribution link at http://www.ronpaulradio.com/.

meghandan1
11-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi, If you can, get there early.
We have set aside a certain amount of power for media, can't guarantee connectivity. The tent issue is this, the Park service would have needed to pre-approve and it is an extra charge. A big umbrella would be okay I think. We do have blogger tables set up, if you have not done so, you need to contact Jesse Benton at the campaign office. If you need help, call me, I can probably connect you with Neal and Mehul if you have not already been working with them
Meghan
send me a note, meghandan1@yahoo.com

rajibo
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi James,
Austin doesn't use ronpaulforums.com due to signup requirements which he cannot meet.

I don't understand this.:confused:

mdh
11-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't understand this.:confused:

Austin Seraphin from Ron Paul Radio is blind. This website uses a CAPTCHA image for signup. He is unable to see and hence unable to sign up for ronpaulforums.

freelance
11-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Can't a mod or someone sign him up?

Bryan
11-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Austin Seraphin from Ron Paul Radio is blind. This website uses a CAPTCHA image for signup. He is unable to see and hence unable to sign up for ronpaulforums.

Thanks for the note Matt. We did re-add the CAPTCHA when we went to the new server, I've recently seen there are some other technologies that are up and coming to prevent spammers without the issue for those who are blind but not sure of their robustness with vB in terms of security and ability to deal with system upgrades. I'd be interested in such information since we need something to prevent spammers- we we're having 30-50 sign up a day without it.

I honestly had no idea Austin was at all interested in being over here, it would be a real honor to have him, I've listen to his show a good bit (and knew he was blind) and he does great for both Ron Paul and RPR. Our CAPTCHA use is only on sign-up (not needed for searches, etc) so if he is willing I'd be more than happy to set up an account for him, I'd just need the username he'd want. I understand that this may not be the best personal approach to the problem but like you've had your hands full with RPR, it's been the same over here and dealing with growing pains from 11/5- we've still got issues so this would be the fastest way (or I could disable the CAPTCHA for a day). Again, I understand this isn't solving the root philosophical problem but I want to do everything I can.

Ninja Homer
11-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the note Matt. We did re-add the CAPTCHA when we went to the new server, I've recently seen there are some other technologies that are up and coming to prevent spammers without the issue for those who are blind but not sure of their robustness with vB in terms of security and ability to deal with system upgrades. I'd be interested in such information since we need something to prevent spammers- we we're having 30-50 sign up a day without it.

Here's an add-on for vBulletin to use reCAPTCHA, which is an advanced version of CAPTCHA that can do an audio test as well as the letter test:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151824

You can test out reCAPTCHA here:
http://recaptcha.net/learnmore.html

mdh
11-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't know that it's a philosophical problem... security is always a trade-off. It's sometimes tough to say that for the greater good, some people will end up inconvenienced or even excluded. Take for another example that my email server may sometimes block whole networks because the ISP that owns them hosts spammers. They may host good users as well, but... I see it as a reasonable trade-off.

If it's at all helpful, I use email verification plus a few DNSBL and other ban pattern checks to validate signups to the forums I've rolled out, and I never get any spam on them (though I do see blocked attempts in the logs, lol).