PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry w/o permit gaining ground in South Carolina legislature

RSLudlum
02-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Good news indeed, esp when the head of SLED (state law enforcement division) supports the bill.

South Carolina's top law enforcement officer said allowing law-abiding citizens to carry concealed guns makes people feel safer and could deter an attack, and he has no problem with it.

"You've got to have a way to defend yourself," said State Law Enforcement Division chief Reggie Lloyd, a former judge and U.S. attorney, noting his strong belief that women especially need to arm themselves against attacks...

The main sponsor, Rep. Mike Pitts, said he understands the concerns, but it's about honoring residents' constitutional right to bear arms. While people should undergo training and would be safer if they do, the Constitution doesn't require it, he said.

"The bottom line is, we're not talking about a privilege granted by the state," said Pitts, R-Laurens, a retired law enforcement officer known for advocating gun-rights legislation. "Either you believe in the Constitution or you don't."

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2011/02/24/1710629/sc-panel-approves-bill-expanding.html#ixzz1F4ryivJM

pcosmar
02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
"The bottom line is, we're not talking about a privilege granted by the state," said Pitts, R-Laurens, a retired law enforcement officer known for advocating gun-rights legislation. "Either you believe in the Constitution or you don't."

Why can't there be more like this?

BuddyRey
02-26-2011, 09:45 AM
See, this is why South Carolina is peaceful and prosperous while North Carolina is drowning in debt, recession, and gang violence in the major cities. Every time I cross the state border into SC, I notice a night-and-day difference. If this law passes, I'm about 90% sure I'll end up buying a house there.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-27-2011, 02:18 AM
See, this is why South Carolina is peaceful and prosperous while North Carolina is drowning in debt, recession, and gang violence in the major cities. Every time I cross the state border into SC, I notice a night-and-day difference. If this law passes, I'm about 90% sure I'll end up buying a house there.

Why not join me up in NH? :p

BuddyRey
02-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Why not join me up in NH? :p

Believe me, I'd love to, and it breaks my heart to have to forsake NH, at least for now. I had planned on buying a real estate property and renting it to some free staters at a discount, so that I could help the movement from a distance 'til I was ready to make the move myself. But I soon realized that I would lose my shirt under the combined burden of NH property taxes (which wouldn't be that big of a deal by themselves) and North Carolina income taxes, which are some of the highest in the entire south. I tried to find something in Grafton, but with a total budget of 25,000 dollars, I'm mostly limited to foreclosures, which seem to seldom take place in NH (big surprise ;-)

I see cheap stuff listed in Berlin, NH all the time, but from what I've read, Berlin is a frozen hellhole and all the houses have freeze damage.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Believe me, I'd love to, and it breaks my heart to have to forsake NH, at least for now. I had planned on buying a real estate property and renting it to some free staters at a discount, so that I could help the movement from a distance 'til I was ready to make the move myself. But I soon realized that I would lose my shirt under the combined burden of NH property taxes (which wouldn't be that big of a deal by themselves) and North Carolina income taxes, which are some of the highest in the entire south. I tried to find something in Grafton, but with a total budget of 25,000 dollars, I'm mostly limited to foreclosures, which seem to seldom take place in NH (big surprise ;-)

I see cheap stuff listed in Berlin, NH all the time, but from what I've read, Berlin is a frozen hellhole and all the houses have freeze damage.

:( Well, I know a few places with very low millage rates. I'm more likened to the Northern part myself. More secluded, better outdoors activities, and of course mountains are always a good place to fight guerilla style if that need ever arises :p

I'm still open to any younger RPF'ers who are looking to move up within the next year as potential roommates to off-set costs (of course vetting will need to take place). I figure fellow libertarians and Free-Staters won't be so worried about my outspoken independence beliefs and the survivalist/preparedness mentality.