PDA

View Full Version : Ron + DOMA = Smart Politics (think Iowa & Huckabee)

Matt Collins
02-25-2011, 09:40 PM
A few thoughts on the Ron Paul Defense of Marriage Act swirl that is going around in the last few hours. These thoughts hopefully will settle some stomachs around this place and the rest of the Net.

Consider the facts:

1- Ron and Rand are living together now

2- Rand packages and markets his position by way of parsing words and specific rhetoric even though he shares essentially the same philosophy as his dad

3- Since Ron and Rand are living together, they are talking a lot more often these days. I think some of Rand's pragmatism might be rubbing off on Ron. Also I think Ron may have learned a few pointers himself watching Rand win his election

4- Ron and Rand's advisers are close and all came from the same school of politics

5- Ron will be in Iowa in a few days

6- DOMA and the gay marriage issue is a HUGE thing in Iowa right now

7- Huckabee won Iowa last time and is the biggest social con of all social cons.

Conclusions?

Ron is playing very smart politics just like Rand does. Ron's statement on this also shows that he is trying to actually make moves to win Iowa and is taking this race seriously! This is a good sign.

The DOMA issue is really minor and I don't think it signifies any great change in Ron's philosophy. In fact I don't think it signifies ANY change in Ron's philosophy nor do I think it contradicts what Ron stands for. Has anyone here actually read DOMA alongside the Constitution? If not I suggest you do, it might catch you by surprise.

sailingaway
02-25-2011, 09:43 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?281241-Ron-Paul-Condems-Obama%92s-Decision-to-Abandon-DOMA

Zatch
02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Just to be clear, he has supported DOMA for a long time. He hasn't hidden his stance or changed his view of it:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul207.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul197.html

Brett85
02-25-2011, 09:51 PM
The issue of DOMA itself might be minor, but the issue of activist judges rewriting the Constitution is the biggest threat that our country faces today. I don't care if gay marriage is "legalized" as long as it's done through the democratic process.

Feeding the Abscess
02-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Kill 'em All > Black Album

This is especially true when you consider what each respective album inspired to follow it.

Those who are well versed in metal know full well what I am talking about.

erowe1
02-26-2011, 10:54 AM
7- Huckabee won Iowa last time and is the biggest social con of all social cons.

Correction. Huckabee is the second biggest. Ron Paul is the biggest. This statement might be smart politics. But it's really just Ron Paul being Ron Paul.

teacherone
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Kill 'em All > Black Album

This is especially true when you consider what each respective album inspired to follow it.

Those who are well versed in metal know full well what I am talking about.

this

RonPaulCult
02-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Expect Ron Paul to talk a lot about how against abortion he is too. It's to win Iowa. If you're pro-choice like me, prepare yourself and deal with it - it's for the greater good.

silentshout
02-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Expect Ron Paul to talk a lot about how against abortion he is too. It's to win Iowa. If you're pro-choice like me, prepare yourself and deal with it - it's for the greater good.

I agree. I think I might just ignore RP for a while lol. I agree with him on so many other things.

Live_Free_Or_Die
02-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Ron Paul is not above criticism and "the greater good" is BS.

Brett85
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Yep, it's more important to be pure and never win anything. Just typing away behind our keyboards is good enough.

eduardo89
02-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Yep, it's more important to be pure and never win anything. Just typing away behind our keyboards is good enough.

+1

TroySmith
02-26-2011, 02:37 PM
If Ron Paul wins Iowa he will have given the neo-con establishment a serious punch in the mouth. It would start getting extremely hard to marginalize him.

FSP-Rebel
02-26-2011, 02:43 PM
If Ron Paul wins Iowa he will have given the neo-con establishment a serious punch in the mouth. It would start getting extremely hard to marginalize him.

Yeah, it's one thing to minimize the CPAC poll but next to impossible to downplay the first in the nation caucus.

Batman
02-26-2011, 05:36 PM
You know, the Doctor has a point regarding the President's refusal to uphold the law. It sets a bad precedent if the President picks and chooses what rules he wants to follow. That alone should be reason to bring up the discussion.

I agree with you on this.

But you also have a point. Part of being human is that no one is perfect. But there are definitely good folks out there who can make a difference. If Dr. Paul becomes President and only achieves 1/5 of what he set out to do we'll still be in much better shape as a nation in the long run. Plus we can always bank on Rand in the future anyways. He seems to be accepted by virtually conservative.

Roxi
02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Anyone in an uproar over this vote clearly hasn't read the legislation.

FTR I am FOR gay marriage, but think the government has no business in it in the first place.

That being said. Ron Paul voted the way he did because it would be UNCONSTITUTIONAL to FORCE states to recognize a license that isn't legal in their state!! Just like a teachers license, or a beauticians license doesn't transfer, it would be unconstitutional to force one state to recognize that license obtained in another state. Same thing with same sex marriage license.

Live_Free_Or_Die
02-27-2011, 10:54 AM

I do not recall reading about Jesus chastising Peter for denying Jesus three times because Peter was too afraid of persecution to follow Jesus to the cross. Therefore I will not chastise you for lacking courage or being afraid to exercise any form of personal civil disobedience I might choose to do.

Keep believing you can win anything (freedom in this case) without facing, addressing, or overcoming your fear (of persecution in this case).