PDA

View Full Version : Free Speech vs. Private Property

gornandez@yahoo.com
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
there is one plank of libertarianism that i havnt really been able to digest yet... and I'm not sure exactly where Ron stands on it, but it's the idea that all property should be privately owned. Supposedly private owners take much better care of their property than governments. This is probably true.

But then I saw a youtube video of some RP march that took place somewhere, some public square or arena, and it mentioned how they were able to march and cheer anywhere but not walk through the square or get near the arena because they were private property, where i guess they wouldnt be able to claim their freedom of speech.

wouldnt massive privatization absolutely destroy the effectiveness of free speech? without a public forum, it seems to me like we'd be reduced to yelling inside our houses, or in our yard..

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but this is one idea that seems competely insane to me. especially since I have no money, and some people who have all the money would end up owning everything. It just sounds like a feudal nightmare.

what say you? am i missing or misrepresenting something? help!

steph3n
10-23-2007, 04:17 PM
it just shouldn't be fed govt property :) states, cities, counties etc will still have theirs

gornandez@yahoo.com
10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
... mm well, i think i could get behind that. :)

JosephTheLibertarian
10-23-2007, 04:32 PM
... mm well, i think i could get behind that. :)

Yup. This is the deal: States do whatever they want as long as their own laws and amendments to the state constitutions don't conflict with the Constitution of the USA (supreme law of the land)

libertarianguy
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
test