PDA

View Full Version : Letterman was clearly told to make people think Rand was wrong

Dave Aiello
02-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Did you guys catch the last thing that Letterman said in the interview? "I don't know what it is, but something just seems wrong with what you're saying". He could have very easily just wrapped it up with something like "there you have it, Rand Paul".. or something neutral. He WENT ON after the interview to bash his views in the next segment after Rand already left. He was clearly told how to handle the conversation. Rand still hit it out of the park. Truth shines through.

t0rnado
02-25-2011, 03:53 AM
If the best our opposition can do is have an bumbling idiot act like a 4 year old and whine, "YOU'RE WRONG JUST BECUZ", we have nothing to worry about.

IDefendThePlatform
02-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Wow Rand hit that out of the park. Letterman was reduced to saying "I think you're wrong but can't explain why."

Also it was nice to hear at least some applause for fiscal conservatism in what I'm sure is an overwhelmingly liberal audience.

Tonewah
02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
For a guy who said he was voting for Ron Paul back in 1988 he sure has changed his views.

sailingaway
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
If the best our opposition can do is have an bumbling idiot act like a 4 year old and whine, "YOU'RE WRONG JUST BECUZ", we have nothing to worry about.

This.

ChaosControl
02-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Okay, Letterman is a hack.
He can't even say what is wrong, just that he thinks something is. It was pathetic, he looked like an absolute moron who was just disagree to disagree.

Deborah K
02-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Here's the tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB00uJMGIDk

Jeremy
02-25-2011, 11:47 AM
He wasn't "told"... he just has those beliefs himself.

YumYum
02-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Many liberals believe government can be "repaired". "Let's fix the programs; not get rid of them!" Letterman appears to be of that group.

Deborah K
02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
"Thank you! You're applauding my stupidity" hahahhahahhah!

TheDriver
02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
He wasn't "told"... he just has those beliefs himself.

This ^

He probably believes everything Al Franken tells him.

ravedown
02-25-2011, 12:12 PM
i was very impressed with this interview and here's why:

letterman mostly shut his mouth and allowed rand to talk and explain his point. that is so rare-especially in a comedy program where the hosts needs to be the center of attention and "keep things lively". there were long, detailed pieces of info that rand laid out and man, he did a great job. he is getting so damn solid at this kind of thing. if he stick to his principles, he is the future of the liberty movement.

another point is that rand doesn't make it partisan and i think this is key. he could blame obama, or the dems for a lot of the topics they discussed but he keeps it about policy and common sense concepts. the result is that letterman and the audience don't become defensive and are more willing to listen. they are more used to someone playing the two party blame game. rand avoids this perfectly and engaged letterman right up to the end.

btw- letterman was clearly playing "everyman" in his questioning, he is much smarter and politically savvy than he was letting on.
the one thing that i dont really like is that rand has to attribute his points to "republican" ideals. i know he doesn't really have a choice but it still bugs me.

sailingaway
02-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't think he was told anything. He just knows his bread is buttered on the liberal side and didn't have any responses to Rand's point, so he spouted "I'm sure you're wrong if I only could explain it', embarrassing himself, imho.

ClayTrainor
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Rand did well. I enjoyed watching that.

Brett85
02-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Rand should go on Leno's show. Leno at least claims to be a fiscal conservative and would be more fair to him.

sailingaway
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Rand should go on Leno's show. Leno at least claims to be a fiscal conservative and would be more fair to him.

Leno at least has a brain and would grasp that what was being discussed was market economies.

Romulus
02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
He still thinks education can be fixed, even though we are throwing gobs of money at it.

The definition of stupid is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

The Dark Knight
02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Rand dominated!!!! He is very good at debating.

Chester Copperpot
02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Many liberals believe government can be "repaired". "Let's fix the programs; not get rid of them!" Letterman appears to be of that group.

I agree

mczerone
02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Disappointed in Rand. He's stuck talking like a Republican, and didn't answer Letterman's questions in language he could understand.

Letterman asked, "Aren't you giving breaks to the rich and taking from the poor?"

Rand responded, "There are things the govt shouldn't be doing."

Even though Rand got to explain his position, nobody that didn't already sympathize with it would agree with him. That's why Letterman couldn't figure out a way to argue against what Rand said, he didn't know how to translate it to the problem he's concerned with.

Rand should have answered, "No, I'm against taking money from people, the middle class and poor especially, to fund failing programs. There are better models of providing education already in existence, and they are in the free market. They are not paid for with taxes, they are being paid for in spite of taxes. Imagine what a the already successful home-school co-ops and tutoring services could do with the money currently being paid to the governments -federal and local - for public school. If you think more people should be educated or teachers should receive more benefits you would have more money that was previously spent on taxes to donate to or promote these schools and teachers. And it all can be done without a middleman that burns through resources funding bureaucracy and vast sub-par uniformity. Teachers aren't underpaid because the government isn't spending enough on them, they are underpaid because the government is largely the only employer they can find. Do you think monopolies handle anything well?"

sratiug
02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
One has to wonder whether David Letterman's son attends a public school and is taught by dedicated public servants that he wants us to pay for their great abilities? What are the odds?

Romulus
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Rand dominated!!!! He is very good at debating.

He could have done better.... Letterman didn't get it - he should have said:

THE US IS BROKE. WISCONSIN IS BROKE. We cant throw money at anything! Taxes wont make up for it!

Brett85
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Disappointed in Rand. He's stuck talking like a Republican, and didn't answer Letterman's questions in language he could understand.

Letterman asked, "Aren't you giving breaks to the rich and taking from the poor?"

Rand responded, "There are things the govt shouldn't be doing."

Even though Rand got to explain his position, nobody that didn't already sympathize with it would agree with him. That's why Letterman couldn't figure out a way to argue against what Rand said, he didn't know how to translate it to the problem he's concerned with.

Rand should have answered, "No, I'm against taking money from people, the middle class and poor especially, to fund failing programs. There are better models of providing education already in existence, and they are in the free market. They are not paid for with taxes, they are being paid for in spite of taxes. Imagine what a the already successful home-school co-ops and tutoring services could do with the money currently being paid to the governments -federal and local - for public school. If you think more people should be educated or teachers should receive more benefits you would have more money that was previously spent on taxes to donate to or promote these schools and teachers. And it all can be done without a middleman that burns through resources funding bureaucracy and vast sub-par uniformity. Teachers aren't underpaid because the government isn't spending enough on them, they are underpaid because the government is largely the only employer they can find. Do you think monopolies handle anything well?"

Rand isn't going to come out in favor of abolishing public schools.

mczerone
02-25-2011, 12:47 PM
One has to wonder whether David Letterman's son attends a public school and is taught by dedicated public servants that he wants us to pay for their great abilities? What are the odds?

I doubt his son would go to a public school, but even so, Letterman's focus seemed to be on the teachers as employees of the government schools being gypped unless they were given the right to gouge the rich at whatever rate the teachers and other public employees want. He is not happy with their wages. Rand trusts the market. Letterman doesn't realize the market exists, he can't even ask why Rand thinks teachers would be better off there.

mczerone
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Rand isn't going to come out in favor of abolishing public schools.

I thought about that as I typed it, but didn't include it, because I don't believe it.

Rand talked about local control of schools, and could have talked about how this is a way to promote market behavior. This small change to his original statement could have led to some economically sound talking points while still leaving a role for government and appealing to Letterman's concerns. He could have said that local control will lead to better pay and benefits to teachers because they would be more able to choose their specific employer, whereas state and federal control effectively give the teacher only one option for employment without leaving the state, country, or the public school industry.

I'm just saying that he should package the message better, and focus the terms and arguments to appeal to the audience.

zade
02-25-2011, 01:01 PM
btw- letterman was clearly playing "everyman" in his questioning, he is much smarter and politically savvy than he was letting on.
the one thing that i dont really like is that rand has to attribute his points to "republican" ideals. i know he doesn't really have a choice but it still bugs me.

Exactly

payme_rick
02-25-2011, 01:02 PM

I dunno... perhaps you're right, but I can't bet on that... Celebs carry too much sway with folk for whatever reason... It's unfortunate, but it's true... That and for every celeb like letterman that can't say why, there are a couple that will tell you why they think you're wrong, giving letterman a tad of credit with his disagreement...

Kregisen
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
what a fucking dumbass....can't even backup anything he says. Rand destroyed him.

ClayTrainor
02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
I dunno... perhaps you're right, but I can't bet on that... Celebs carry too much sway with folk for whatever reason...

It's the same reason that people are increasingly susceptible to BS forms of advertising, and the lies of politicians.

Public schools don't teach kids how to think critically, for themselves.

sratiug
02-25-2011, 03:21 PM
I doubt his son would go to a public school, but even so, Letterman's focus seemed to be on the teachers as employees of the government schools being gypped unless they were given the right to gouge the rich at whatever rate the teachers and other public employees want. He is not happy with their wages. Rand trusts the market. Letterman doesn't realize the market exists, he can't even ask why Rand thinks teachers would be better off there.

If his son goes to private school, he should be called out on it. Why does he choose to give his money to a private school if there is a public school he could attend? Why doesn't he donate his money to his local public school and send his kid there? Why does he want to force other people to support public schools when he gives his own money to private schools instead?

Wesker1982
02-25-2011, 03:26 PM

I wish I could agree.

Deborah K
02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to his book signing in La Jolla. If I get the chance, I'm going to tell him that I've never witnessed cognitive dissonance in action before. LOL!

doodle
02-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Rand wants to cut foreign aid including aid to Israel and is anti war mostly, so it won't be too surprising.

Many liberals in showbiz are like Steven Spielberg who sent million of his own "foreign aid" money to Israel's war against Lebanon in 2006.

That clown Sacha Bruno Cohen's trap of Ron Paul wasn't surprising either.

sailingaway
02-25-2011, 05:41 PM
That clown Sacha Bruno Cohen's trap of Ron Paul wasn't surprising either.

Particularly given that Rahm Emmanuel's brother was president of the production company.

Now, of course, he is head of William Morris agency..

Tinnuhana
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
I wonder if Leno will make any monologue comments about how this interview went for Letterman. At least with Leno, the audience could be very friendly as it was when Ron was on after being shut out of the debates. Leno would definitely see this as a ratings help. Maybe he could have a liberty musician or two on the same night.

Jack Bauer
02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to his book signing in La Jolla. If I get the chance, I'm going to tell him that I've never witnessed cognitive dissonance in action before. LOL!

http://macroblog.typepad.com/macroblog/images/win_button.jpg

Matt Collins
03-01-2011, 12:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVT_zbi33-o

jct74
03-01-2011, 01:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVT_zbi33-o

Wow Matt, you must have really like that video to have posted it in 7 different threads! :D I thought it was decent, but nothing earth-shattering.

Matt Collins
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Wow Matt, you must have really like that video to have posted it in 7 different threads! :D I thought it was decent, but nothing earth-shattering.
As I've explained many times before, it's called making sure relevant videos are included in relevant threads.

Brian4Liberty
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Letterman was clearly told to make people think Rand was wrong

As others have noted, Letterman probably didn't need to be told, he is already of that mind. On the other hand, there is no doubt that this was planned thoroughly with his producers and writers. It's very possible that their strategy was to keep it simple and play dumb, and give Rand plenty of rope to potentially say something that could be used against him in the future.