PDA

View Full Version : [REASON] This Is What A Broke Democracy Looks Like

PermanentSleep
02-23-2011, 05:28 PM
http://reason.com/archives/2011/02/23/this-is-what-a-broke-democracy

"[Ron] Paul understands what most politicians and pundits can’t let themselves understand, even as fiscal realities should be waking them up: The current system cannot and must not go on. It must be rethought at its roots, from its monetary system to its foreign policy, if this country is to survive and thrive."

Wisconsin’s Gov. Walker, on the front lines of the current crisis, is undoubtedly a hypocrite for supporting some policies that will likely cost the state money even as he fights over unions. But if any attempt to cut spending anywhere fails with the public and with other politicians because the cutter in question isn’t also pushing to cut other spending elsewhere, we're screwed.

Ron Paul is about the only national political figure ready to do so. Being uniquely prepared to actually deal with our systemic crisis is, strangely, exactly why the establishment, right or left, can’t accept or understand him.

sailingaway
02-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Well, that's not wrong. I'll read the rest.

sailingaway
02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
The government is spending more and doing more than it should, conceptually and constitutionally, and it will have to stop doing many of those things. Yet there are many people prepared to take to the streets to defend these perks. It’s an ugly situation, but it has to be faced. Ron Paul is about the only national political figure ready to do so. Being uniquely prepared to actually deal with our systemic crisis is, strangely, exactly why the establishment, right or left, can’t accept or understand him.

Definitely worth reading. Thanks.

Vessol
02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Reason wrote something positive about Ron Paul? Color me surprised.

PermanentSleep
02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
It sounds like one hell of an endorsement for Dr. Paul. I really liked how the author made it a point to show the reader the bigger picture of what this and future such confrontations mean, and that this is something that needs to be taken seriously by everyone, or we're all going to fail.

Ron Paul is about the only national political figure ready to do so. Being uniquely prepared to actually deal with our systemic crisis is, strangely, exactly why the establishment, right or left, can’t accept or understand him.

PermanentSleep
02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
bump

Inkblots
02-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Reason wrote something positive about Ron Paul? Color me surprised.

As the situation in this country becomes more desperate, I think you'll find even 'cosmopolitan' libertarians overcoming their distaste of the country doctor and pitching in to try to avert disaster.

Kylie
02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I could care less if they're late to the party.

If they can help him get elected and start us through the reset of our world then I say they're doing good.

What I don't think everyone understands is that there may really be some tough times even though he would get elected. We, whether we like it or not, are going to see a change in our way of living. We have to, in order to get it straight for our posterity. The ones before us, fucked us, but we will deal with the pain and move on. That is what we do. We're Americans.