PDA

View Full Version : A Message from Senator-elect Gary Johnson (I'm typing this from the future)

BamaFanNKy
02-23-2011, 04:53 PM
He actually did send it today:

Friends,

Tunisia, Egypt, and now Libya. Remarkable things are happening across the globe. People are taking to the streets to demand change – change from repressive governments that have, for too long, prevented average citizens from fulfilling their hopes, aspirations and basic human rights. Once again, we are seeing that history is made by those who are willing to value their liberty above all else.

But while these events in the Middle East are remarkable, I think it’s most significant that the United States is not pulling the strings. Despite the billions of dollars we spend to maintain a massive military presence in the region, we are but spectators to history in the making.

We spend more trying to police the world than all other developed nations combined, but it is clear that no amount of spending can buy us the power and influence to nation-build or orchestrate events to our liking. Why do we continue to spend hundreds of billions we can’t afford in order to have our troops, ships, and planes scattered all over the world?

The time has come for us to leave Iraq and Afghanistan. We continue to nation-build abroad when we have our own nation to build here. We can debate the problems with getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan immediately, but I would argue that those same problems will still be there whenever we decide to get out, whether it is now or 5, 10, or 25 years from now.

Our focus should be on righting our financial ship and fixing the biggest threat to our national security: our overwhelming and growing debt. We must balance the budget, put our economy on track, and resume a place of leadership in the world marketplace. If we don’t, we will be reduced to watching anxiously as the Middle East is turned upside down and to hoping that oil prices don’t crush the prospect of our economy turning around.

It’s more than a little ironic that, if we are having any real influence on what is happening in the Middle East, it isn’t our military might or overwhelming power; rather, it is that our own financial mess is adding to the pain and stress that is driving people into the streets in Cairo and Tripoli.

Just a few days ago, I was asked by Judge Napolitano if our “exporting inflation” is adding to the tensions in the world. My answer is: Of course it is. As we devalue the dollar with short-sighted fiscal policy, as the world begins to question the wisdom of buying our debt, and instead buys more and more commodities, the very real result is that basic necessities cost more – everywhere.

That’s right. Our aircraft carriers and bases in the Middle East aren’t shaping events – not should they. But our deficits and monetary policies are undoubtedly playing a role. The lesson, of course, is that we aren’t any good to anyone in the world, and certainly no good to ourselves, if we don’t balance the budget, put our economy on a path to real strength.

As I said recently on Dylan Ratigan’s show, we are on the verge of a financial collapse unless we get government spending under control. If we don't accomplish that, and we do have a financial collapse, what will that mean? Well, we may still receive our Social Security checks, it's just that they won't buy anything because the dollar will be so devalued.

There is much to be learned from what is going on right now on the other side of the world, and most of those lessons are confirmation of the message I am taking to the American people through the Our America Initiative: We cannot afford to keep spending money we don’t have in a futile effort to be the world’s cop. We must face the harsh reality that our own spending insanity is no longer a theoretical threat to national security – it is a clear and present danger.

I am heartened to see people standing up for liberty, freedom and opportunity, and we should all be thankful to live in a country where we can make our own demands for liberty and opportunity heard without risking life and property. That is what the Our America Initiative is about, and I am more committed than ever to pound away until the politicians in Washington get it.

Last week, I had prominent media appearances on CBS, Fox News, MSNBC, and other outlets. Thousands more are hearing, seeing and spreading our message on Facebook and Twitter. And yes, I continue to travel to every corner of the nation to meet with and energize like-minded Americans of all political stripes who agree that we must get government under control.

Thank you for the support that you have continued to give me. It heartens me to see just how strong what you and I have to say resonates with our fellow Americans. There is still much work to be done, but we will persevere.

In Liberty,

Gary

P.S. Thank you once again for your support. 2011 promises to be an exciting year for you and me, and I appreciate everything you continue to do in the name of Liberty. Please consider a financial contribution to keep me on the road spreading our message to all who will listen: www.OurAmericaInitiative.com/donate.

sailingaway
02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
So.... any news on market trends between then and now....?

BamaFanNKy
02-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Sorry, I came back too quick. I was close to getting the Sports Almanac from Biff Tannen.

sailingaway
02-23-2011, 05:39 PM
sorry, i came back too quick. I was close to getting the sports almanac from biff tannen.

lol!