PDA

View Full Version : Interested in buying some mining stocks. How to do it online?

AdamT
02-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Anyone have experience in buying stocks online? I have no idea how to do it, have never bought a single stock before. But after listening to King World News (http://kingworldnews.com/)' radio show for awhile now, I'm starting to think about some of these mining stocks.

nobody's_hero
02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Why do you want paper?

freshjiva
02-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Open up a brokerage account. Any one of the major retail brokerages will do: Scottrade, eTrade, Ameritrade, Schwab, etc.
Then, fund your account. They should have a step-by-step process how to do this.

Once you have your account set up, let me know, and I'd be happy to make several recommendations on what mining stocks I like.

AdamT
02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Awesome thanks. Looking at these right now.

Franco-Nevada FNNVF
Newgold NGD
Olivut Resources OLVRF

olehounddog
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I use Scottrade.

eduardo89
02-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Etrade?

RonPaulCult
02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
I always get nervous when I see a first time investor buying something at record high prices. I'm not saying mining stocks, commodities and other investments will go down - I am saying that bubbles do burst - and it's almost always suckers buying at the top that get left with the bag, so to speak. Proceed cautiously.

CableNewsJunkie
02-23-2011, 05:06 PM
The bulk of the resource/mining companies are traded in Canada and Australia, although some of these same companies (the bigger ones) are also listed in the U.S.

But if you want easier access to ALL of these companies, instead of buying them on the U.S. pink sheets, just buy them directly on the foreign exchanges and you can avoid the large spreads (between the bid and the ask) often seen in the pink sheets market.

I would recommend using Interactive Brokers for this direct access - granted, their trading platform might be intimidating for a novice.

RonPaulCult
02-23-2011, 05:40 PM
The bulk of the resource/mining companies are traded in Canada and Australia, although some of these same companies (the bigger ones) are also listed in the U.S.

But if you want easier access to ALL of these companies, instead of buying them on the U.S. pink sheets, just buy them directly on the foreign exchanges and you can avoid the large spreads (between the bid and the ask) often seen in the pink sheets market.

I would recommend using Interactive Brokers for this direct access - granted, their trading platform might be intimidating for a novice.

CableNewsJunkie is correct, a lot of the mining companies are not on the US exchanges. But do not bother with Interactive Brokers, as you mentioned you are a complete beginner. Interactive Broker's rates are the best, and they have access to the most international markets. But, their platform is for professionals and you'd be an investor not a trader so....don't mess with Interactive Brokers.

E-trade allows you to trade in the most popular international markets, including Canada. Make sure you open an international account - it's really easy. Then you convert you money into local currency and you can buy the stocks. It's all web based, as easy to use as this forum.

I agree that it's not worthwhile to buy the pink sheets - you'll get ripped off.

MRoCkEd
02-23-2011, 06:17 PM
I use Scotttrade

jclay2
02-23-2011, 06:37 PM
For the last time people, gold mining stock have underperformed gold on average. Stay away from paper and go with physical. With the exception of olivut (which seems to be a microcap stock), GLD basically outperformed the other two over a 5 year timeline with significantly lower volatility. If you want the increased risk with little if any reward, be my guest.