PDA

View Full Version : The Grassroots Regional Strategy

Eric21ND
02-22-2011, 08:02 PM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071105193945/genealogy/images/a/af/Map_of_USA_showing_regions.png

What do you guys think of getting everyone in your particular region focusing all efforts on the earliest primary in that region? For example, I live in ND and therefore the midwest region. This means instead of pouring money into the ND presidential primary, I would put my time, money, and volunteer work into Iowa.

The northeast region would focus on New Hampshire.

Supporters in the south region would focus on South Carolina first, and Florida second.

The west would focus all efforts on Nevada.

Now don't get me wrong, its cool seeing Ron Paul signs all over the place, but why not get the most bang for your buck and hang that sign somewhere in Nevada instead of California, or go knock on doors in that early primary state, etc.

Basically I'm proposing the question, "Is spending your time and efforts in your home state the most prudent way to support Ron's presidential run?"

LibertyMage
02-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Any real grassroots effort is going to have to be local, meaning in your home state.

We should be taking this opportunity to build local organizations in our communities. That is the real intention of the run anyway.

Eric21ND
02-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Any real grassroots effort is going to have to be local, meaning in your home state.

We should be taking this opportunity to build local organizations in our communities. That is the real intention of the run anyway.

That sounds nice, but the election will be won or lost in the early states. If we don't win an early state, the media meme that "Ron Paul can't win" will be proven true.

Tenbobnote
02-22-2011, 08:37 PM
@eric21ND, Fargo, ND??

I agree with you, much of this campaign rides on the early states. But getting people to dedicate themselves to a place hundreds of miles away isn't going to work for the majority.

Brad Zink
02-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Perhaps each of those early states can have a central Meetup group. For instance, in Iowa it would be in Des Moines. They could have a Chip-In, where we could donate to that specific state with the money to be used for slim jims, bumper stickers and signs.

Each state would need a person in charge that has a good reputation and is trustworthy.

Eric21ND
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
@eric21ND, Fargo, ND??

I agree with you, much of this campaign rides on the early states. But getting people to dedicate themselves to a place hundreds of miles away isn't going to work for the majority.
That's probably true, but we could also organize a charter bus or carpooling effort to go to Iowa or wherever and do phone banking, lit drops, etc. Just say we're leaving on this date and whoever can go can go. The grassroots projects we fund this time should be concentrated to those early states. I have no problem donating to grassroots projects that will actually have impact on the campaign.

leonster
02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I approve this plan.

Not to say don't do stuff locally. Of course, do that too. But any sizable or group donations you'd be making locally into supplies, travel, etc., would be best in IA/NH/SC/NV.

nayjevin
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Official campaigning will be in the big cities mostly, right? So what if there were an effort to 'paint the perimeter ron' ?? People in adjacent states go just across the border to plant signage, drop lit at gas stations on the highway, bulletin boards, etc.

erowe1
02-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm all for encouraging people to help out in the ways they feel enthusiastic about.

But in 2008 I and some others from northern Indiana put a lot of efforts into helping out in Michigan. Michigan had a very early primary, and we had a very late one. I learned some lessons from that that will affect what I do this time:

1) When you go to help out somewhere, make sure that they have people in that area who are ready to take charge and plug you in to plans that they make. Don't go on your own, and don't try to become the de facto main RP contingent there. If they don't have local leadership that's capable of doing that, then go somewhere else that does, or don't bother at all. Without that well-defined organization of volunteers, there will be a lot of redundancy, inefficiency, and resentment.

2) It really is true that all politics is local. No matter how much more important the early primaries are, it still remains that you can do the most where you live, and you need to make those investments in local opportunities you have. These are long-term investments. Running around from state to state trying to help out with the campaign activity du jour is putting the urgent above the important, and there are real opportunity costs to doing that that you need to consider and that most people don't.

Maximus
02-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I've always thought we should set up regional pacs to support local candidates at the state level, and select House races. I'm much more likely to donate to a pac that will support my candidates in my state/region, than one across the country. This is something that could have helped Gunny's campaign. I think your map makes a good template of what the 4 regions could be.

This could help give us many more Amash types in Congress, and since state races are generally cheaper, a very cost effective operation.

malkusm
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't know if we should necessarily have structured "regions" and a top-down approach to helping the earliest states in those regions. I agree that, as a whole, we need to put a lot of resources into these early states.

I am working with another forum member to create some new functionality at www.freedomatlas.org which will make it much easier for volunteers to travel to some of these states, as well as to straw polls and other events....stay tuned for that. ;)

Eric21ND
02-24-2011, 12:59 AM
@eric21ND, Fargo, ND??

Yup Fargo, ND. May I interest you in some snow? :) Anyway, we can still do the local thing, but I'd really like to see an all out effort to get people to those early states, just like we organized to send people to CPAC. And if you yourself can't make it, sponsor someone else in your place.

In theory each out of state meetup could take a few counties, say in Iowa and delegate "Ok North Dakota meetup, you guys take Lyon, Sioux, Plymouth county and hit every republican household."

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/desmoinesdem/cb11cn24_ia_totalpop_2010map.jpg[

nayjevin
02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
I have no doubts the official campaign will have a plan for the likely voters households. They'll probably have enough money to hit all of them somehow. I feel we need to find a way to pick up where they leave off, and not step on toes in the process.

But for most people - just volunteering for the campaign will be most effective. If there's another project, like college radio station? or something like that, grassroots could reach some ears the campaign will not.

wstrucke
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM

For the love of god, please do not start that again! We have made progress, yes, but this campaign has to be about winning. I don't think we can handle another four years of deficit spending.

Eric21ND
03-26-2011, 08:50 PM
bump for more input.