PDA

View Full Version : We're like a Cult with better Kool-aid

aGameOfThrones
02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/us/news/editorial/1/c1/1c13709cb958a3258797573241487f87.jpeg

SOUTH BEND, Ind. – A northern Indiana restaurant that erected billboards referring to the 1978 Jonestown cult massacre in which more than 900 people died has removed the signs following complaints that the signs were offensive.

Jeff Leslie, vice president of sales and marketing at Hacienda, acknowledged that the billboards were a mistake. He said the South Bend-based company ordered the signs removed less than two weeks into Hacienda's new advertising campaign.

"Our role is not to be controversial or even edgy. We want to be noticed -- and there's a difference," Leslie told the South Bend Tribune. "We have a responsibility to (advertise) with care, and that's why we're pulling this ad. We made a mistake and don't want to have a negative image in the community."

The billboards included the statement, "We're like a cult with better Kool-Aid," over a glass containing a mixed drink, as well as the phrase "To die for!"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110222/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_billboard_flap_jonestown_3

Danke
02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Good god. People will complain about anything.

sailingaway
02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
It was flavor-aide, actually....

fj45lvr
02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
with a couple of small changes maybe the Neo-cons can roll this out for 2012

outspoken
02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Funny.... I thought based on the title you were referring to the Ron Paul movement! It is the Ron Paul liberty minded people that are the only ones in America not drinking tainted Kool aid.... maybe I'm just a little biased though...

sailingaway
02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Funny.... I thought based on the title you were referring to the Ron Paul movement! It is the Ron Paul liberty minded people that are the only ones in America not drinking tainted Kool aid.... maybe I'm just a little biased though...

Yeah, I thought that was going to be the punch line too. I clicked in prepared to vote for Pappy's bourbon as a better Koolaid, but he tricked me.

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/catalog/13455_1502_general.jpg

WyoLiberty
02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I thought it was kinda funny...maybe not the smartest marketing...but humorous. People need to lighten up.

Bruno
02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
I thought it was kinda funny...maybe not the smartest marketing...but humorous. People need to lighten up.

Some things are just in too poor of taste to use for marketing. Maybe a joke a comedian could get away with after a few groans ,then laughs, but not marketing. For those that remember that day and all the people that died, not a good move.

Vessol
02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Lol, I'd totally visit that place.

aGameOfThrones
02-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Breaking news: Wisconsin unions decided to use, "we're like a cult with better kool-aid... to die for," as their new motto.

Yes? No?

Vessol
02-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Breaking news: Wisconsin unions decided to use, "we're like a cult with better kool-aid... to die for," as their new motto.

Yes? No?

only if they can price negotiate the kool-aid and have the tax payer pay for 99.5% of it.

Daamien
02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Funny ad, but poor marketing decision.

Later investigations concluded that majority of Jonestown residents, were forcedly made to drink the toxic Koolaid (children first... leading to parents being less resistant because they no longer had anything to live for). I feel bad for the victims of Jonestown. They were paranoid and naive, but certainly not all suicidal zealots like the Heaven's Gate (Hale-Bopp) mass suicide.

MN Patriot
02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Here is a fact the liberal media never mentions: Jonestown residents were communists.Look it up on Wikipedia, true fact. The original brainwashed cultists who drank the poison kool-aid were Democrats, leftists.

I remember when it happened, but the media barely mentioned about them being communists. I do remember them reporting that he gave $7 million to the USSR just before the mass suicide, I never made the connection until a year or two ago when I read about it and was astounded to discover it was a commune based on 8 hours of work and 8 hours of Marxist indoctrination.

So whenever some leftist calls Ron Paul supporters kool-aid drinking idiots or similar, you can set them straight.

Deborah K
02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Whew! When I saw the title I thought you were referring to the Ron Paul movement. http://i49.tinypic.com/2ptdm34.jpg

Daamien
02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Here is a fact the liberal media never mentions: Jonestown residents were communists.Look it up on Wikipedia, true fact. The original brainwashed cultists who drank the poison kool-aid were Democrats, leftists.

I remember when it happened, but the media barely mentioned about them being communists. I do remember them reporting that he gave $7 million to the USSR just before the mass suicide, I never made the connection until a year or two ago when I read about it and was astounded to discover it was a commune based on 8 hours of work and 8 hours of Marxist indoctrination.

So whenever some leftist calls Ron Paul supporters kool-aid drinking idiots or similar, you can set them straight.

Paranoid? Yes. Naive? Yes. Communist? Yes. Doesn't mean that many if not most of those who died (including almost 300 children) weren't victims.