PDA

View Full Version : Gallup: "Growing minority wants minimal role in world affairs"

Knightskye
02-22-2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.gallup.com/poll/146240/Growing-Minority-Wants-Minimal-Role-World-Affairs.aspx

World affairs doesn't have to mean war. You could rephrase the question and get "mind our own business" with majority support.

Still, it's nice.

Batman
02-22-2011, 06:10 PM
I can relate. I used to think differently once upon a time.

TonySutton
02-22-2011, 06:25 PM
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/arlo4an7tekubrqkc6d4ga.gif

Interesting chart

american.swan
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Ron paul effect!! And stuff the article listed, like economy

pcosmar
02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Growing minority

Growing.
That sounds good.
Perhaps it will be a majority soon, and we can elect Dr. Paul.

Knightskye
02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I think it's interesting how more Democrats than Republicans and Independents want more US involvement in world affairs.

BamaAla
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I think it's interesting how more Democrats than Republicans and Independents want more US involvement in world affairs.

The Republicans loved it and Democrats hated it when W. was in office and vice versa with BHO. Further proof, as if it was needed, that people are far from objective and independent in thought.

Sola_Fide
02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

That's the way its usually been in the last century;)

Koz
02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
The Republicans loved it and Democrats hated it when W. was in office and vice versa with BHO. Further proof, as if it was needed, that people are far from objective and independent in thought.

Word on that. People need to learn to think for themselves. This is good for Dr. Paul.

emazur
02-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I like better the numbers used in the article in my sig:
Such a situation cannot be sustained. Are Americans ready to adopt Dr. Paul's non-interventionist approach to foreign affairs and bring the troops home? A Pew Research Center survey released at the end of 2009 shows that they may be

Almost half, 49 percent, told the polling organization that the United States should "mind its own business" internationally and let other countries get along the best they can on their own, the Pew Research Center survey found. That's up from 30 percent who said that in December 2002.

Only 32 percent of the poll respondents favored increasing U.S. troops in Afghanistan, while 40 percent favored decreasing them. And fewer than half, or 46 percent, of those polled said it was somewhat or very likely that Afghanistan would be able to withstand the radicals' threat.

Pew Research Center President Andrew Kohut said in an interview that the "very bad economy" appeared most responsible for the growth of isolationist sentiment. He said the public was also "displeased with the two wars we are waging, in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 08:36 PM

That ^^^

+rep

Vessol
02-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I love that little democrat spike in 2008, so cute.

sailingaway
02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
I love that little democrat spike in 2008, so cute.

Yeah, noticed that.

freshjiva
02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
The Electorate, at the margin, is clearly shifting towards Ron Paul.
If this trend continues, I fully expect Ron to be able to attract double the number of votes he got in the 2008 primary. That's still not enough to win, though.
The marginal trend would have to quicken towards the noninterventionist side.

hard@work
02-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Growing minority doesn't believe cable TV no mo.

jrskblx125
02-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Stupid use of isolationist. I hate that word. Its blatantly used to deceive!

Knightskye
02-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Stupid use of isolationist. I hate that word. Its blatantly used to deceive!

I forgot to mention how I discovered the poll:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/02/americans-isolationist-obama-geithner-holder-polls.html

A new Gallup poll has some predictable but intriguing results to monitor, looking ahead.

As usual, the poll finds a strong majority of Americans -- 66% to 32% -- desirous of the country playing a major role in solving international problems. But wait.

That support is down from 75% just two years ago.

Of even more interest, the percentage of Americans who take a more isolationist stance is quietly growing. Think minimal or no foreign involvements.

Still a minority of 32%, or about one-in-three. But that's the largest percentage in a decade. And it's up significantly from 23% two years ago.

It has negative connotations, which is why they use that word. As if whatever we have now -- I don't have an evil-sounding word to describe it -- is wonderful, constitutional, or traditionally American.