PDA

View Full Version : The Unions Planning Massive Nationwide Rally

angelatc
02-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Dear MoveOn member,

Moments like these don't come along often.

Newly-elected Tea Party governor Scott Walker thought he could slash the Wisconsin state budget and dismantle 50 years of workers' rights without a fight, but boy was he wrong.

Hundreds of thousands of regular Wisconsinites—teachers, firefighters, police officers, students—have taken to the streets of Madison. They've occupied the capitol building for the last 7 days and nights.

But this isn't just about Wisconsin. In state capitals across the country, and in Washington, D.C., Republicans are using the wrecked economy as an excuse to slash vital programs and hurt workers. The American Dream itself is under attack.

So we're helping lead an emergency call for rallies in every state capital this Saturday at noon to support folks in Wisconsin and oppose these attacks, wherever they occur.

We have only 4 days to organize, so we're trying something unusual—asking thousands of individuals and local groups to add their names to this call to action. Will you share the call with your personal network—plus get any groups you're part of to sign on? Clicking here will add your name:

Start getting the word out about this Saturday's rallies

We're finalizing the details and we'll get back to you to sign up soon, but we have to start spreading the word right now if Saturday is going to be huge.

Here's the call to action:
50-State Mobilization to Save the American Dream
Calling all students, teachers, union members, workers, patriots, public servants, unemployed folks, progressives, and people of conscience:

In Wisconsin and around our country, the American Dream is under fierce attack. Instead of creating jobs, Republicans are giving tax breaks to corporations and the very rich, and then cutting funding for education, police, emergency response and vital human services. The right to organize is on the chopping block. The American Dream is slipping out of reach for more and more Americans, and we have to fight back.

We call for emergency rallies in front of every statehouse this Saturday at noon to stand in solidarity with the people of Wisconsin. Demand an end to the attacks on workers' rights and public services across the country. Demand investment, to create decent jobs for the millions of people who desperately want to work. And demand that the rich and powerful pay their fair share.

We are all Wisconsin.

We are all Americans.

Add your endorsement and this Saturday we will stand together to save the American Dream.

Clicking below will add your name so you can start spreading the word:

http://pol.moveon.org/callforaction/o.pl?id=26218-17236852-QpiXsDx&t=4

Thanks for all you do.

–Daniel, Lenore, Joan, Justin, and the rest of the team

P.S. In addition to allies like PCCC, Color of Change, CREDO Action, Democracy for America, Campaign for Community Change, National People's Action, TrueMajority, US Action, Progressive Majority, and Courage Campaign, green jobs visionary Van Jones has joined this call to action as well. His inspiring words from The Huffington Post this morning are worth quoting:

"In the past 24 months, those of us who longed for positive change have gone from hope to heartbreak. But hope is returning to America—at last—thanks largely to the courageous stand of the heroes and heroines of Wisconsin.

Reinvigorated by the idealism and fighting spirit on display right now in America's heartland, the movement for "hope and change" has a rare, second chance. It can renew itself and become again a national force with which to be reckoned.

Over the next hours and days, all who love this country need to do everything possible to spread the "spirit of Madison" to all 50 states. This does not mean we need to occupy 50 state capitol buildings; things elsewhere are not yet that dire. But this weekend, the best of America should rally on the steps of every statehouse in the union."

Van's full piece is worth reading. To check it out and pass it on, click here.

Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.

QueenB4Liberty
02-22-2011, 04:35 PM
hahahaha oh man I really want to go to one of these protests.

I am just still very confused. Do they not get that public and private are not the same at all?

ItsTime
02-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Whiny bitches who have jobs demanding people without jobs give them more money, classic.

JK/SEA
02-22-2011, 04:38 PM
cops and firefighters are exempted from the collective bargaining plan put forth by the Gov. Why is that OK?

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
cops and firefighters are exempted from the collective bargaining plan put forth by the Gov. Why is that OK?

Because even among the ruling class there are levels of class.

Cops especially.

There are Mundanes and then there are mundanes.

FrankRep
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.site.politca.com/images/seiu_meeting4.jpg

Fuse is Lit: Obama and Unions to Take the WI Uproar Nationally. SEIU Solidarity Rallies
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?280526-Fuse-is-Lit-Obama-and-Unions-to-Take-the-WI-Uproar-Nationally.-SEIU-Solidarity-Rallies

eduardo89
Nationwide protest or farewell party?

awake
Greece.

specsaregood
02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Because even among the ruling class there are levels of class.
Cops especially.
There are Mundanes and then there are mundanes.

Or because the govt needs the guys with guns to keep the other union thugs in line. :)

QueenB4Liberty
02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Or because the govt needs the guys with guns to keep the other union thugs in line. :)

+rep

silverhandorder
02-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Because the cops would be too much for republicans to handle. They are bribing the cops. We will not touch your benefits but you stay and fight for us.

Both parties are attacking each other but this is a move to shrink spending and as such I agree with it. I don't see unions as an ally and actually like it that they are getting hurt. This bill will benefit workers.

JK/SEA
02-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I see a bad moon rising.

My silver pile just gained 250 bucks today.

My teacher wife took the glock to the range today.

And a large snow storm looms ahead.

I have 2 cords of wood coming saturday and

Ron Paul kicked ass yesterday....

time for a beer...or something...

TomtheTinker
02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
I think it would be awesome if we busted out a counter rally..but that may end up getting ugly.

FrankRep
02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
I think it would be awesome if we busted out a counter rally..but that may end up getting ugly.

The Tea Party is trying to counter-rally, but the Unions are well oiled and highly organized machines.

Batman
02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Protests are for wimps. At least conservatives consistently hit the polls rain or shine.

QueenB4Liberty
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
The Tea Party is trying to counter-rally, but the Unions are well oiled and highly organized machines.

So what? That's why they have more people?

TomtheTinker
02-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Isn't it awesome that the people who disagree with the unions are the ones that are forced to fund them.

Chieppa1
02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
That they threw "American Dream" in there pisses me off. Too bad I work Saturdays...

civusamericanus
02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
The Democratic Party and Obama, will use the "Union Brushfire", to ignite his 2012 election run. This will become a serious problem for the Republican party, and if any of these ambitous governors tear gas a crowd, say hello to a 2012 presidency for Obama.

This is all Democratic posturing to get their union voter base under one single banner/website/Forum/twitter.

Chieppa1
02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
The Democratic Party and Obama, will use the "Union Brushfire", to ignite his 2012 election run. This will become a serious problem for the Republican party, and if any of these ambitous governors tear gas a crowd, say hello to a 2012 presidency for Obama.

This is all Democratic posturing to get their union voter base under one single banner/website/Forum/twitter.

"Never let a crisis go to waste."

JK/SEA
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
And as this asshat governor goes on his teacher bashing, the cops and firefighters sit in the corner laughing...

FrankRep
02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
And as this asshat governor goes on his teacher bashing, the cops and firefighters sit in the corner laughing...

How's this for some teacher bashing.

CNS News
February 22, 2011

Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can’t Read Proficiently—Despite Highest Per Pupil Spending in Midwest
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/two-thirds-wisconsin-public-school-8th-g

Batman
02-22-2011, 06:24 PM

To be fair, this bill wouldn't have a snowball's chance if cops and firefighters were also on the chopping block. It's a divide and conquer strategy.

awake
02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Divide and favor.

Cleaner44
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
The American Dream is to pay to be in a union???

coastie
02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
How's this for some teacher bashing.

CNS News
February 22, 2011

Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can’t Read Proficiently—Despite Highest Per Pupil Spending in Midwest
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/two-thirds-wisconsin-public-school-8th-g

:eek:

The gall of these leeches is stupefying.:eek::confused::mad:

JK/SEA
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
To be fair, this bill wouldn't have a snowball's chance if cops and firefighters were also on the chopping block. It's a divide and conquer strategy.

This is why the Lawyers are chomping at the bit....and this is why this Governor is gonna lose.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 06:44 PM
The American Dream is to pay to be in a union???

And work for the government.

Pretty much the only game in town for a middle class income.

FrankRep
02-22-2011, 06:46 PM

I have strong respect for Firefighters.

Wisconsin Firefighters Offer Conce$$ions to Save Collective Bargaining for All
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/wi-firefighters-offer-conceions-to-save-collective-bargaining-for-all/

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 06:47 PM
My silver pile just gained 250 bucks today.

Actually, your paper dollars decreased in value by that amount, is what actually happened.

But, that still doesn't mean it ain't time for a beer!

:D

VBRonPaulFan
02-22-2011, 06:50 PM

it looks like it's because education/pensions makes up big chunk of the state budget. it could just be a case where the pension/healthcare plans for them aren't nearly as luxurious and they're already paying a more realistic rate into their pensions and for their healthcare? i couldn't find any data on how much the cops have to pay into those plans. here's what the WI budget breakdown looks like though.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/Wisconsin_state_spending.html

JK/SEA
02-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I have strong respect for Firefighters.

Wisconsin Firefighters Offer Conce$$ions to Save Collective Bargaining for All
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/wi-firefighters-offer-conceions-to-save-collective-bargaining-for-all/

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2011/02/19/wisconsin-teacher-unions-offer-concessions.php

JK/SEA
02-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Actually, your paper dollars decreased in value by that amount, is what actually happened.

But, that still doesn't mean it ain't time for a beer!

:D

buzzkiller...:D...

Deborah K
02-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Why do government employees need collective bargaining? If you choose to work for the government, then you should be at the mercy of available tax revenue.

Jack Bauer
02-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Why do government employees need collective bargaining? If you choose to work for the government, then you should be at the mercy of available tax revenue.

+ 1

nobody's_hero
02-22-2011, 07:10 PM

That's pretty much the way I see it.

QueenB4Liberty
02-22-2011, 07:12 PM

win!

FrankRep
02-22-2011, 07:14 PM
http://wizbangblog.com/content/2011/02/19/wisconsin-teacher-unions-offer-concessions.php

Wisconsin Firefighters (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/wi-firefighters-offer-conceions-to-save-collective-bargaining-for-all/) were exempt in the bill. That's what made it interesting.

puppetmaster
02-22-2011, 07:14 PM

They buy the loyalty from the cops and firefighters with this exemption......they know this shit is getting real and they want to make sure the cops will fight for them and not us.

FrankRep
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
They buy the loyalty from the cops and firefighters with this exemption......they know this shit is getting real and they want to make sure the cops will fight for them and not us.

Or because Cops and Firefighters put their lives on the line everyday.

Jack Bauer
02-22-2011, 07:17 PM

I've seen reports that cops/firefighters are protesting with the teachers.

nobody's_hero
02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Or because Cops and Firefights put their lives on the line everyday.

Meh. I'm a firefighter and we have a saying at my department.

"If we were doing it for the money . . . we wouldn't do it."

Batman
02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
I've seen reports that cops/firefighters are protesting with the teachers.

They're onto him.

Cowlesy
02-22-2011, 07:20 PM

whoa whoa slow down...that makes sense. Disallowed.

puppetmaster
02-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Or because Cops and Firefights put their lives on the line everyday.

ahhhhh.............no, I was a cop, I know why this was done. They are creating a police state and I know why. Had many hours of training to back this up.

FrankRep
02-22-2011, 07:33 PM
ahhhhh.............no, I was a cop, I know why this was done. They are creating a police state and I know why. Had many hours of training to back this up.

Did some research.... Looks like there is some politicking going on...

Scott Walker may have wasted political capital by sparing Wisconsin’s police and fire fighters (http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/22/walker-may-have-wasted-political-capital-by-sparing-wisconsins-policemen-and-firemen/)

Daily Caller
Feb 22, 2011

In Wisconsin, the state police, several police locals, and a firefighters union (just a fraction of the states more than 300 public safety union organizations) endorsed Walker in the gubernatorial race. That he’s sparing them now, when so many of his gubernatorial peers have confronted the cost of essential personnel, has both his critics and allies wondering if he’s rewarding allies and punishing his foes.

“Tellingly, some workers — namely, those who tend to be Republican-leaning — are exempted from the ban; it’s as if Mr. Walker were flaunting the political nature of his actions,” wrote the New York Times’ Paul Krugman (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/opinion/21krugman.html?_r=1).

Libertarian blogger and Troy University professor Stephen L. Taylor wrote (http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/an-observationquestion-on-the-situation-in-wisconsin/) that it is “not an unreasonable supposition” that Walker is rewarding the firemen and policemen who helped him during his campaign for governor. “I would go beyond that and not ask why Walker is doing what Walker is doing,” Taylor added, “but rather ask why we have not seen (or, at least, I have not seen) his ideological allies calling for him to include police, firefighters and state troopers in the bill?”

But it’s not as simple as Krugman makes it out to be. “Politically, police and fire unions are not Republican bastions; they split their allegiances between the parties,” Barro said. “Because they are a swing constituency, Republican politicians have more incentive to try to make nice with them than with other public employee unions. … I can understand why [Walker] would make a strategic choice to exclude them — politicians pick their battles all the time with an eye toward coalition building — but I do think it’s unfortunate.”

If Walker were hoping to gain politically by sparing police and firemen, his plan has likely backfired. Last week, Tracy Fuller, director of the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Association, denounced Walker’s decision to abolish collective bargaining privileges for public employees.

daviddee
02-22-2011, 07:35 PM

cindy25
02-22-2011, 07:37 PM
the Unions are to blame for this; they gave up on the private sector, went for easy pickings with govt employees. you can't have $15,000 Wal-Mart workers with no benefits paying for $60,000 teachers and firemen with full benefits

JK/SEA
02-22-2011, 07:43 PM
the Unions are to blame for this; they gave up on the private sector, went for easy pickings with govt employees. you can't have $15,000 Wal-Mart workers with no benefits paying for $60,000 teachers and firemen with full benefits

Then don't have kids or start any fires.

AGRP
02-22-2011, 07:54 PM
This is getting interesting.

Unions will still be demanding pay raises when rest of the country is living in squaller and standing in bread lines.

WyoLiberty
02-22-2011, 08:16 PM
What'll be scary is if Walker actually calls on the National Guard...

I don't like what they're doing - I disagree with their philosophy - but they are allowed to peaceably assemble...

We must defend even our enemies or this too shall reach us...

Interesting times we live in...

FrankRep
02-22-2011, 08:20 PM
What'll be scary is if Walker actually calls on the National Guard...

I don't like what they're doing - I disagree with their philosophy - but they are allowed to peaceably assemble...

The National Guard isn't out there and they'll only be called if riots break out.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Or because Cops and Firefighters put their lives on the line everyday.

Meh, neither cops nor firefighters are in the top ten of most deadly US jobs.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Most_Dangerous_Jobs

And of cops that do get killed, the majority of those deaths are traffic related.

Bruno
02-22-2011, 08:24 PM
"50-State Mobilization to Save the American Dream"

The American Dream is working for the government and receiving entitlements? :confused:

Vessol
02-22-2011, 10:25 PM
"50-State Mobilization to Save the American Dream"

The American Dream is working for the government and receiving entitlements? :confused:

The American Dream..it's called that because you have to be asleep to believe it.

Matt Collins
02-27-2011, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVJM5s8GzJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FRVZYzfxgI&feature=related

Anti Federalist
02-27-2011, 04:04 PM
The American Dream..it's called that because you have to be asleep to believe it.

I'm glad this thread got bumped, just so I didn't miss that.

+rep

Classic.

JK/SEA
02-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm glad this thread got bumped, just so I didn't miss that.

+rep

Classic.

That was a George Carlin quote.

libertybrewcity
02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
how were those protests?

Anti Federalist
02-27-2011, 06:00 PM
That was a George Carlin quote.

LoL, well I can't take Vessol's rep back, I wouldn't even if I could.

But I can give you a +rep for pointing that out.

JK/SEA
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
LoL, well I can't take Vessol's rep back, I wouldn't even if I could.

But I can give you a +rep for pointing that out.

Thanks AF. After today, i'm gonna need it...lol...got at least 3 negs just today. Good thing i have 3 dogs...lol

osan
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Dear MoveOn member,

Starts off on a very bad foot.

Newly-elected Tea Party governor Scott Walker thought he could slash the Wisconsin state budget and dismantle 50 years of workers' rights without a fight, but boy was he wrong.

So? What counts is who wins and at this moment it looks like the governor is kicking ass and taking names.

But this isn't just about Wisconsin. In state capitals across the country, and in Washington, D.C., Republicans are using the wrecked economy as an excuse to slash vital programs and hurt workers. The American Dream itself is under attack.

These people appear to be hopelessly, incurably psychotic. Where, pray tell, do they think all the money will come from to pay for all their programs? Do they ever address that question?

Matt Collins
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJe4QskcHSo&feature=uploademail

Lucille
03-08-2011, 03:37 PM
http://www.cagle.com/working/110303/bok.jpg

http://www.cagle.com/news/UnionUnrest/images/beeler.jpg

h/t http://www.wendymcelroy.com/news.php