PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, Afghan parents like to burn their own kids

ExPatPaki
02-22-2011, 03:21 PM
At least according to our great hero, Gen. Petraeus:

Petraeus Accuses Afghan Parents of Burning Kids to Make US Look Bad

Posted By Jason Ditz On February 21, 2011 (http://news.antiwar.com/2011/02/21/petraeus-accuses-afghan-parents-of-burning-kids-to-make-us-look-bad/)

One would think that the effort to downplay the killings of as many as 64 civilians, including a large number of children, would be enough to spark considerable anti-US outrage, but apparently Gen. David Petraeus saw an opportunity to make things even worse, and took it.

In a closed door meeting aimed at explaining why they had killed so many civilians, Gen. Petraeus actually accused parents in the region of burning their own children in an attempt to raise the death count and make the US look bad.

Of course if there is one thing the occupation forces don’t need any help with, it’s looking bad, and the shocking accusation sparked considerable anger amongst the Karzai government. It was quickly dismissed by provincial officials, of course, but did immeasurable damage to US credibility on the matter of the rising civilian toll.

The US has a long history of making up ridiculous hypotheticals that might explain away massive civilian death tolls, including the May 2009 Farah Province massacre, in which the US initially claimed the Taliban had “pre-killed” a large number of civilians and stored them in buildings before tricking the US into bombing them, scattering the bodies. They later admitted the claim was entirely made up.

The US has also regularly accused Afghan civilians of “making up” stories of dead relatives in an effort to claim the paltry reparations that the military offers for accidently killing a civilian. This appears, however, to be the first time they actually accused parents of killing their children just to make the US occupation look bad.

moostraks
02-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow...new low imo. They have no shame and I believe they would have no problem saying the same thing about Americans if/once they are put in charge of civil unrest here.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Wow...new low imo. They have no shame and I believe they would have no problem saying the same thing about Americans if/once they are put in charge of civil unrest here.

Yah, and they wouldn't even have to lie about it.

Mother accused of microwaving baby to death

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15937773/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

ExPatPaki
02-23-2011, 09:37 AM
US Commanders Insist Afghan Parents Burn Kids All the Time

Posted By Jason Ditz On February 22, 2011 (http://news.antiwar.com/2011/02/22/us-commanders-insist-afghan-parents-burn-kids-all-the-time/)

Reports that Gen. David Petraeus, the top US Commander in Afghanistan, accused parents in rural Kunar Province of burning their children simply to make the US “look bad” sparked considerable consternation, and what passes these days for an “explanation” from the military.

“Petraeus never said that children’s hands and feet were purposely burned by their families in order to create a civilian casualty event,” insisted spokesman Rear Admiral Gregory Smith, and here’s where the explanation falls off the rails again.

“Rather, he said that the injuries to the children appeared inconsistent with the types of munitions used and that the burns to their hands and feet may have been the result of discipline sometimes handed out to Afghan children. Regrettably this is customary among some Afghan fathers as a way of dealing with children who misbehave,” Smith continued.

That’s right, the Afghan government wasn’t mad that Petraeus said parents burned their kids to make him look bad, the Afghan government was mad because Petraeus said Afghan parents burn their kids all the time.

At least that’s the official stance, which itself prompted an angry rebuke from Afghan officials, who insisted that the claim was “insulting and racist” and that “Afghans love their children.” President Karzai is expected to seek “clarification” of the allegations.

Of course, we should not lose sight of the fact that these “explanations” initially came out of the reports that NATO had killed 64 people, including a large number of children, in Kunar. Ultimately, however, it seems the explanations and the speculation about burning children as a matter of course may be even more damaging.

cheapseats
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
AMERICAN Judge Mark Ciavarella, CONVICTED OF INCARCERATING KIDS FOR KICKBACKS, is free on bail PRECISELY because Americans are DEFERENTIAL to the Upper Class.

South Park Fan
02-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Is this The Onion, or is Petraeus really that idiotic?

ExPatPaki
02-23-2011, 12:52 PM

I wish it was the Onion, but sadly it is not.

Who girl
02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Parents trying to make the US look bad by intentionally harming their children? That's like blaming impoverished people for not being wealthy. So the civilian deaths have very little to do with the troops at all?

I feel sick to my stomach. Everyone should watch: The War You Don't See. The whole movie can be seen on youtube, but it is quite graphic. And no, you don't see people harming their children intentionally.

:mad:

Freedom 4 all
02-23-2011, 01:56 PM

I honestly can't tell the difference between the onion and the real news anymore. And I use the word "real" with great reservation

acptulsa
02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
I honestly can't tell the difference between the onion and the real news anymore. And I use the word "real" with great reservation

Yeah, the spin has certainly gotten ungodly, hasn't it? It's like, they decided since Dubya sold us all that crap a while back, we'll swallow anything. They seem to be forgetting that we didn't actually buy it, they're making us sick of the taste of crap, and the statute of limitations on what Dubya and Cheney did won't expire until they do.

Vessol
02-23-2011, 03:11 PM
How barbaric! It's clearly obvious we must ramp up our unmanned drone attacks in Afghanistan! They bring civilization to those barbarians!

acptulsa
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Remember when we boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics because of Soviet involvement in Afghanistan? Has anyone ever figured out how us killing them because of the al Qaida people who left the area a decade ago makes us any more moral than the Soviets were back then? I haven't quite gotten a grasp on that one, yet.

Vessol
02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Remember when we boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics because of Soviet involvement in Afghanistan? Has anyone ever figured out how us killing them because of the al Qaida people who left the area a decade ago makes us any more moral than the Soviets were back then? I haven't quite gotten a grasp on that one, yet.

Because we are fighting for freedom and the American way!

acptulsa
02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Because we are fighting for freedom and the American way!

The American Way to the Grocery Store--specifically by Hummer.

Anti Federalist
02-23-2011, 07:52 PM

Silence! Mundane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E