PDA

View Full Version : Census: 25% of Counties in American are Dying

bobbyw24
02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
WELCH, W.Va. – Nestled within America's once-thriving coal country, 87-year-old Ed Shepard laments a prosperous era gone by, when shoppers lined the streets and government lent a helping hand. Now, here as in one-fourth of all U.S. counties, West Virginia's graying residents are slowly dying off.

Hit by an aging population and a poor economy, a near-record number of U.S. counties are experiencing more deaths than births in their communities, a phenomenon demographers call "natural decrease."

Years in the making, the problem is spreading amid a prolonged job slump and a push by Republicans in Congress to downsize government and federal spending.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110222/ap_on_re_us/us_census_dying_counties

Pericles
02-22-2011, 10:59 AM
In certain states that presents an opportunity to move in, take over existing infrastructure, and create freedom communities.

Travlyr
02-22-2011, 11:05 AM
In certain states that presents an opportunity to move in, take over existing infrastructure, and create freedom communities.

+ 1

That day is approaching! ;)

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM

We will be able to buy whole towns since pretty much everyone besides the liberty community is scoffing at PM's. They'll be holding worthless Government notes.

sevin
02-22-2011, 11:43 AM

We will be able to buy whole towns since pretty much everyone besides the liberty community is scoffing at PM's. They'll be holding worthless Government notes.

I love the optimism here! We need more of that.

QueenB4Liberty
02-22-2011, 12:03 PM

hell yeah!

hazek
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
What a nice example of fraudulent enslaving fiat monetary system at work. :mad:

bobbyw24
02-22-2011, 12:08 PM
What a nice example of fraudulent enslaving fiat monetary system at work. :mad:

Yep--but the dispossessed will blame immigration or something like that instead of the Fed and our monetary system as Ben and Alan and the media have done a good job of convincing most people that they are too dumb to understand it

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm always surprised when I see stories like this, as if it's some shocking new revelation.

US government policy has been, for over three decades now, to de-industrialize the nation. Well, there goes the middle class jobs.

US government policy has been to promote "family planning" and a decrease in family size. Well, there goes the people.

Then everybody runs around wringing their hands about a quarter of the country dying.

Well, duh.

eduardo89
02-22-2011, 02:55 PM
it's not surprising at all, with the death of industry comes the death of a nation.

ChaosControl
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
With everyone moving to cesspools always known as cities, is it any surprised other areas are dying.
I'll never understand why people want to live in such decadence.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 03:51 PM
With everyone moving to cesspools always known as cities, is it any surprised other areas are dying.
I'll never understand why people want to live in such decadence.

It's only been in very recent human history that people had the ability not to live in crowded festering cities.

That ability is being taken away, through "greenism" and government policy that prefers to have everybody living in a tightly packed communal grid.

Easier to keep everybody in line that way.

Pericles
02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I love the optimism here! We need more of that.
Disruption also means opportunity.

Matt Collins
02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_drain

ChaosControl
02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
t's only been in very recent human history that people had the ability not to live in crowded festering cities.
What do you mean by recent exactly? There have been small villages and such for many thousand years.

That ability is being taken away, through "greenism" and government policy that prefers to have everybody living in a tightly packed communal grid.

Easier to keep everybody in line that way.

You can have communal living and live within harmony of nature without needing to be in some giant cesspool of decadence.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
What do you mean by recent exactly? There have been small villages and such for many thousand years.

Within the last 100 to maybe 200 years. Yes, there were villages, but for most of recorded history, the vast bulk of population lived in city centers, both in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Mesoamerica. More people lived in 10 large central American cities than in all of what was to become the USA.

It's only because of modern transportation that people have been able to live outside city boundaries, while still having access to the jobs and income opportunities that a well functioning city provides.

You can have communal living and live within harmony of nature without needing to be in some giant cesspool of decadence.

Not without a powerful police state presence to keep everybody in check, to control that decadence you mentioned.

ChaosControl
02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Within the last 100 to maybe 200 years. Yes, there were villages, but for most of recorded history, the vast bulk of population lived in city centers, both in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Mesoamerica. More people lived in 10 large central American cities than in all of what was to become the USA.

It's only because of modern transportation that people have been able to live outside city boundaries, while still having access to the jobs and income opportunities that a well functioning city provides.
Suburbs are effectively part of the city, so I wouldn't say much has changed in that manner. And people still are crowded in cities, so it doesn't seem much has changed there either.

I don't get it, people like the more job opportunities, but there is more competition. People like the higher wages, but there is a higher cost of living. There is more to do within the city, but there is less nature and it is louder. I guess it is all just a matter of priorities, but I really don't get the appeal of high pollution, high crime, loud noise, and concrete everywhere.

Not without a powerful police state presence to keep everybody in check, to control that decadence you mentioned.
The police state is generally what brings that decadence.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2011, 06:34 PM
I guess it is all just a matter of priorities, but I really don't get the appeal of high pollution, high crime, loud noise, and concrete everywhere.

No, I don't savvy it either.

Which is why, if I was moving, I'd be heading toward one of these "dying" counties.

Where people aren't is where I want to be.

But then, I'm a grouchy, misanthropic sort.

ChaosControl
02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Well I want a small tight knit community. I think despite that there are people everywhere in a city, there is a lot less community and actual personal interaction among the people than there is in a small town.

libertybrewcity
02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Many of these towns are being filled with immigrants. They form their own communities. It really is not a bad idea. Unfortunately, they outnumber libertarians.