PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious why he isn't announcing his run for 2012?

yeshuaisiam
02-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I mean I was on the edge of my seat on some of the emails he sent out. It thought for sure he was going to announce.

Is this some mystery or hype ?

I just wish he would because I think his base would come together REAL quick and would get an EARLY start on his campaign. Word of mouth about who he is before the debates. Signs everywhere. More days for more "official" and "strong" money bombs.

He would get press before any other candidate announced.....

I really wish he would do it. It's a long hard process "re-teaching" Americans about liberty...

Considering what happened yesterday was amazing considering he has not even announced. If he would announce and get momentum, the next "Tea Party" day could be in the tens of millions of dollars.

Suzu
02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Not to worry, he will do it before the middle of April, because he will want to be in the first debate (in early May).

nayjevin
02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
It has to do with the campaign finance laws, the same reason other candidates aren't announcing. They can raise recognition by doing speeches and appearances with funds from PACs that don't have the same restrictions as if they were presidential candidate pacs.

It's a good example of the type of loophole which shows why campaign reform is a farce. It's kind of funny that we have a liberty candidate playing them at their game - because I think the other candidates were ready to use it to get one up on RP - and I expect Ron will use his more efficiently.

sailingaway
02-22-2011, 10:32 AM
As soon as he announces people will start taking pot shots and he'll have to start paying for a presidential election staff and site upkeep etc....others are all saving their money by delaying entering the race, and the last ones in get the most media attention closer to the date of actual elections/caucuses. This year they are all playing the 'declare intentions last' game, it seems. Obama plans to spend close to a BILLION on his race with outside groups from what I've seen in stories. The GOP candidates need to conserve cash.

gls
02-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm sure he has his reasons. Being the first candidate to announce (aside from Herman Cain) isn't necessarily a good thing, especially for an anti-establishment candidate like RP who isn't exactly a darling of the corporate media.

PermanentSleep
02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Obama plans to spend close to a BILLION on his race with outside groups from what I've seen in stories.

Dear god. :eek::eek::eek:

Do you have any links to articles about this?

UtahApocalypse
02-22-2011, 10:50 AM
It has to do with the campaign finance laws, the same reason other candidates aren't announcing. They can raise recognition by doing speeches and appearances with funds from PACs that don't have the same restrictions as if they were presidential candidate pacs.

It's a good example of the type of loophole which shows why campaign reform is a farce. It's kind of funny that we have a liberty candidate playing them at their game - because I think the other candidates were ready to use it to get one up on RP - and I expect Ron will use his more efficiently.

This ^^^^

We may see some interesting things this election cycle due to the ever increasing grip on campaigns. Also the great success that the Ron Paul grassroots had in the past, and is sure to be even better this time around. Why does he need to announce? As long as we do everything to spread the message, get his name out, raise money, and promote him its not different if he is or isn't officially running.

sailingaway
02-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Dear god. :eek::eek::eek:

Do you have any links to articles about this?

I saw a couple articles, they were just speculating, adding his prior fundraising (which I'm not sure he'll get all of) to corporate fundraising groups after Citizens United. It was mostly speculation, but the number definitely caught my attention. I'll see if I can find one, but it wasn't all that meaninful as mathematics, just a point of view.

edit, here:

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/18/133809150/2012-the-year-of-the-billion-dollar-campaigns

and here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/12/AR2010121203181.html

as two examples.

Jeremy
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
The same reason all other candidates aren't announcing yet (as explained above).

nayjevin
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
GOP fundraising avoids campaign limits through PACs ahead of 2012 (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-12-30-1Agopprez30_ST_N.htm)

CableNewsJunkie
02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
We're managing the news cycle - never too much information at once - let them feast on scraps...

drip

drip

drip

hazek
02-22-2011, 11:37 AM

+1 ......

dannno
02-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Obama plans to spend close to a BILLION on his race with outside groups from what I've seen in stories. The GOP candidates need to conserve cash.

http://www.abovethelaw.com/images/entries/dr%20evil%20pinky%20finger.jpg

Holy guacamole that would be something.

sailingaway
02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
GOP fundraising avoids campaign limits through PACs ahead of 2012 (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-12-30-1Agopprez30_ST_N.htm)

Oh, yeah, because Organizing for America doesn't exist, or anything....