PDA

View Full Version : I wish Matt Collins would bump up some "American Empire: Before the Fall" threads...

Michael Landon
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Ask and you shall receive.

Thanks Matt.

There is nothing I like better than logging on to find 20 different American Empire threads on the main page of General Politics all bumped up with the same post by the same poster.

This is the second time in 3 days where you've bumped up a dozen threads with the same post. No wonder you have so many posts.

Please stop doing this, it's annoying.

- ML

Matt Collins
02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I do it to ensure that when people research a specific subject, they see everything associated with that subject. It's to help people who use the forums for reference.

low preference guy
02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
I do it to ensure that when people research a specific subject, they see everything associated with that subject. It's to help people who use the forums for reference.

So let's see how it works:

Suppose they search net neutrality. They get like, let's say, 10 threads with a title they're interested in. They read one of them and find your video. "What a great video!". Then they read the other 9 threads, and when they're in the fifth one... "damn, this video again?. This is a specific thread about Senator X position on net neutrality. Why is the general video about net neutrality here AGAIN? Ugh."

Is that right?

Michael Landon
02-21-2011, 10:52 PM
I have a better idea, why don't you search for all the topics you want to post your videos in and list them in a message to the MODS and just ask them to merge those threads into one. If you do this then we won't have 20 net neutrality threads with 20 of your videos in them we'll have only one net neutrality thread with only one of your videos in it.

I think this is a better idea than bumping a dozen American Empire threads. I'm willing to bet that the MODS would merge those threads into one if the all-powerful Matt Collins asked them to.

- ML

FSP-Rebel
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Everyone wants the Collins bumb these days.. Longevity for the thread? Why are some people so anal about what is in the Gen?

Matt Collins
02-22-2011, 12:25 AM
I have a better idea, why don't you search for all the topics you want to post your videos in and list them in a message to the MODS and just ask them to merge those threads into one. If you do this then we won't have 20 net neutrality threads with 20 of your videos in them we'll have only one net neutrality thread with only one of your videos in it.

I think this is a better idea than bumping a dozen American Empire threads. I'm willing to bet that the MODS would merge those threads into one if the all-powerful Matt Collins asked them to.
Mods are not always responsive to my requests, it's just quicker and more reliable to do it my way. Besides, it doesn't make sense to merge every single thread on a given topic. But it does make sense to reference relevant material in topical threads.

Matt Collins
02-22-2011, 12:27 AM
So let's see how it works:

Suppose they search net neutrality. They get like, let's say, 10 threads with a title they're interested in. They read one of them and find your video. "What a great video!". Then they read the other 9 threads, and when they're in the fifth one... "damn, this video again?. This is a specific thread about Senator X position on net neutrality. Why is the general video about net neutrality here AGAIN? Ugh."

Is that right?Or, hey let me look at net neutrality, and they only read the 20 newest threads on the subject and miss a ton of info that was in the threads previous to that.

Ideally there would be a way of x-ref all threads with the same topics although that would probably be very difficult to do. Thread tags maybe, but still, it doesn't solve the problem of fundamental information being in some threads and not in others.

Gaius1981
02-22-2011, 12:38 AM
God help this forum if Matt Collins finds what he considers an important new video about the subject "The Federal Reserve" or "Ron Paul." Seriously though, spamming the forum this way is plain annoying and against common sense forum etiquette. Just ask yourself what this forum would be like if more people kept resurrecting hordes of old threads. In any case, when people search for a topic they typically only look through the first and/or second most recent thread about it.

Sola_Fide
02-22-2011, 12:47 AM
I for one appreciate when someone resurrects an old thread that is informative or funny.

To each his own I guess...

Matt Collins
02-22-2011, 12:49 AM
In any case, when people search for a topic they typically only look through the first and/or second most recent thread about it.EXACTLY!!! Which is why it's important to keep the distribution of content even throughout all periods of time in the threads. It's like layers that correspond with eras, but we want to avoid that because it makes it much more likely that something could slip through the cracks if someone is searching for it.

Danke
02-22-2011, 12:57 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/34i4nxw.jpg