PDA

View Full Version : Lobbyists join Capitol Hill staffs

hrdman2luv
02-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Seems Rand isn't following too close in his fathers footsteps.

The revolving door can also spin the other way.

After every election, former members of Congress and their staffers often take prominent positions at Washington lobbying firms.

But the process can also happen in reverse.

As the new Congress settles in, Washington's "reverse revolving door" has not stopped spinning. In the past couple months, several freshmen lawmakers have hired high-profile registered lobbyists to join their staffs.

One of the most notable hires includes former lobbyist Gary Andres, who was appointed by Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., as staff director of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Andres has lobbied for a variety of health care groups including the Coalition to Advance Healthcare Reform and UnitedHealth Corp. He has also lobbied on behalf of Google, General Motors and FedEx Corp.

Andres is not the only former lobbyist recently hired as a staffer on the Energy and Commerce Committee. He joins Michael Bloomquist, a registered lobbyist for America’s Natural Gas Alliance and Nucor Corp, and Julie Goon, who worked as a lobbyist for America’s Health Insurance Plans.

Public Citizen, a nonprofit consumer advocacy organization, reported that at least 18 freshmen Republican lawmakers have appointed registered lobbyists as their new chiefs of staff.

Sens. Ron Johnson, R-Wis.; Rand Paul, R-Ky.; Pat Toomey, R-Pa. and Mike Lee, R-Utah and Reps. Chris Gibson, R-N.Y.; Jeff Denham, R-Calif.; Chip Cravaack, R-Minn.; and Mike Pompeo, R-Kan. are part of this bunch.

Together, their newly appointed chiefs of staff formerly lobbied on behalf of the energy, financial and technology industries.

Paul Blumenthal, senior writer at the Sunlight Foundation, a nonprofit organization promoting government transparency, said such appointments often happen after changes in power.

"That’s because the new majority can bring back the staffers they lost at the end of their previous majority," he said. "Those individuals likely remained involved in Washington as lobbyists or consultants." Link. (http://www.congress.org/news/2011/02/16/lobbyists_join_capitol_hill_staffs)
If we believe that all senators need to be held accountable. Then that means all of them. Right?

BamaFanNKy
02-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Seems Rand isn't following too close in his fathers footsteps.

Link. (http://www.congress.org/news/2011/02/16/lobbyists_join_capitol_hill_staffs)
If we believe that all senators need to be held accountable. Then that means all of them. Right?

His "Lobbyist" is from "Right to Work." I'm cool with that. http://www.nrtwc.org/

He also was big (meaning the lobbyist is Doug Stafford) C4L guy and here is him speaking at CPAC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWdLHHSoy_U

Inkblots
02-21-2011, 08:44 PM
I fail to see the problem. Unless you are suggesting that Rand's proposal for a half trillion dollars in cuts, forswearing earmarks, plans to reform entitlements, and willingness to speak out against bloated military budgets somehow represent the actions of a man in the pockets of the special interests (hint: they don't), then why should Rand not hire the most competent and qualified staff, who know the legislative process and how things are done in Washington? The fact that many such people have experience in lobbying is in itself immaterial. That is, unless you're only interested in gesture politics, which of course I know you're not, because only fundamentally unserious people are.

hrdman2luv
02-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm not making any excursions against Rand yet. Just something to keep the eye on.. I've always believe that what you do, means a whole lot more than anything you've got to say...

Matt Collins
02-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Before it was widely known, I told the head of a major national liberty organization that Doug Stafford was going to be Rand's chief of staff, and the individual had a huge shock on their face. Their jaw dropped to the floor and said "if Doug is in charge, that's gonna be one principled office!". Having worked with Doug on the campaign I can assure you that he's a no nonsense kind of guy. He's hardcore and knows what he is doing!

Rand's in good hands, I assure you. If he wasn't I'd be waving a red flag about it.

TheDriver
02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Watch out for gun rights' lobbyists, too. LOL!

Thargok
02-22-2011, 01:09 AM
I hate it when principled people lobby for the same stuff as people in this forum. If only we could oppress more people with an authoritarian state or something.

Cowlesy
02-22-2011, 01:15 AM
You're upset about Doug Stafford???

Doug is the freaking man. He lobbied for a great organization. I think he's going to do an outstanding job as Rand's chief of staff. Give the man a chance!

Yieu
02-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Not all lobbying groups are bad. Some actually benefit the People instead of the corporations.

Bman
02-22-2011, 02:17 AM
I heard Rand was looking to hire an AnCap who had previously lobbied for there to be no government!!!

THE OUTRAGE!!!!!

(^totally made up, but sheesh people do some research before you yell fire.)