PDA

View Full Version : Amash opposes corporate welfare, RP supports

sonofshamwow
02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll050.xml

From Amash's FB page:
"Here's the roll call for Amendment 153 to H R 1, which transfers $80 million from the Census, a constitutionally authorized function, to unconstitutional corporate welfare programs. I voted no. It passed 305-127.

Central-planning schemes are immoral and economically damaging. Here's the take of the sponsor, Rep. Mike Michaud (D-ME-02): http://www.pressherald.com/blogs/maine_washington_politics/116341769.html."

https://www.facebook.com/repjustinam...04655449613596

brenden.b
02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
This is a confusing vote for me....I don't quite understand it....

Amash gives sound reasoning for voting against this bill, but Ron must have some reason why he voted for it. I would like to know that reason. I would also like to know if everyone is going to throw Ron under the bus for voting for this bill, that, as by Amash's reasonable explanation, is a poor allocation of funds to a corporate welfare scheme?

I'm not saying that I am going to, I just think we need to be a little less reactionary.

sonofshamwow
02-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm not saying that I am going to, I just think we need to be a little less reactionary.

Agreed 100%. That was my point in posting this.

specsaregood
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
So Amash supports ever invasive government under the guise of the census, collecting more and more data on the citizens, where they live and their lifestyle so as to better gerrymander districts and prevent large shifts in power? Good to know.

"Here's the roll call for Amendment 153 to H R 1, which transfers $80 million from the Census, a constitutionally authorized function, to unconstitutional corporate welfare programs. I voted no. It passed 305-127.

Well hell, using that logic, let's just shift all the unconstutional departments into subdepartments of the census bureau and fund them, it will be all good since the "census" is "constitutionally authorized". how much of that $80mil is actually going towards the constitutionally authorized job of counting people? You need to collect GPS locations of everybody's house to count them? How much of it is being wasted by inefficient unnecessary paper pushers adding an ever increasing future debt with pensions and whatnot?

I for one would rather take that money away from the census bureau and put it back in the economy -- objections to "corporate welfare" a given. But if those are the only 2 choices (as they are with this amendment) then I'll go with "corporate welfare". Of course RP will end up voting against both as he will no doubt vote against the budget itself.

brenden.b
02-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Of course RP will end up voting against both as he will no doubt vote against the budget itself.

And if Amash votes against the budget? Does that clear him of his sins, or does that only work for Ron?

specsaregood
02-21-2011, 08:08 PM
And if Amash votes against the budget? Does that clear him of his sins, or does that only work for Ron?

Works for me. I like the guy, doesn't mean I can't argue about certain votes.

brenden.b
02-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Works for me. I like the guy, doesn't mean I can't argue about certain votes.

Sure, and I'm find with that, and I'm fine with having a high standard, but the guy has shown that he is one of us, even if he disagrees with Ron on some votes. I'm just annoyed with the way people want to label him a Neo-Con so quickly and how everyone is looking for a reason to say he a "typical Republican",

CurranH
02-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Sure, and I'm find with that, and I'm fine with having a high standard, but the guy has shown that he is one of us, even if he disagrees with Ron on some votes. I'm just annoyed with the way people want to label him a Neo-Con so quickly and how everyone is looking for a reason to say he a "typical Republican",

Agreed, Brenden. It's absurd.

specsaregood
02-21-2011, 08:21 PM

I think there are only a few hotbutton issues that would spark that type of response, the wars being one of them -- probably the biggest. I'd be perfectly content on the afghanistan funding bill if he had chose to vote "present" since his argument was it hadn't been debated enough.

TonySutton
02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I am guessing this is why Ron Paul voted yes.

The amendment results in a 9% cut in funding for the Census account, but a 45% increase in EDA funding.

http://michaud.house.gov/index.php?Itemid=179&id=1210&option=com_content&task=view

This restored 80 million that was cut from EDA earlier, so overall it was a net $0 increase.

specsaregood
02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I am guessing this is why Ron Paul voted yes.
http://michaud.house.gov/index.php?Itemid=179&id=1210&option=com_content&task=view
This restored 80 million that was cut from EDA earlier, so overall it was a net $0 increase.

but a 9% decrease in funding in what has turned into an intrusive govt agency. that is a good thing in my book.

CurranH
02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
@Tony, that doesn't really explain it. It's still a central planning scheme in which the government picks winners and losers.

CurranH
02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
@Specsaregood, you're being unreasonable, because frankly, neither project is good. The EDA is really just a group of central planners. Does it get more intrusive than central economic planning?

specsaregood
02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
@Specsaregood, you're being unreasonable, because frankly, neither project is good. The EDA is really just a group of central planners. Does it get more intrusive than central economic planning?

less unreasonable and more just bustin balls. in the scheme of things this is minor, but I stand by my argument that given the only 2 choices here, I'd side with removing money from the census for the reasons stated above.

CurranH
02-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Regardless, it's important to try and examine these things objectively and not be blinded by fanboyism.

sonofshamwow
02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
less unreasonable and more just bustin balls. in the scheme of things this is minor, but I stand by my argument that given the only 2 choices here, I'd side with removing money from the census for the reasons stated above.

The difference is that one of these things is constitutional (the census) and one is not (corporate welfare). Whether you like, trust, or value either of them is meaningless.

Brent Pierce
02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Regardless, it's important to try and examine these things objectively and not be blinded by fanboyism.

My new favorite buzz word. "fanboyism"
I think that we can assume that Amash is one of the good ones based on his track record, and his amazing policy of explaining each and every vote he makes. He hasn't made any significant departures from what he claims to be. A conservative libertarian. Even Rand has said that if he just agreed with everything his father did he would definitely not be his fathers son. Plus the guy gets a break being that he is a 30 year old in his first month on the job. AMASH for President 2016!

specsaregood
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
The difference is that one of these things is constitutional (the census) and one is not (corporate welfare). Whether you like, trust, or value either of them is meaningless.

Counting the people is constitutional, the census department has grown to do a lot more than its constitutional role. you have provided no evidence that they couldn't still perform their constitutional role given the funding levels after this amendment.

sonofshamwow
02-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Counting the people is constitutional, the census department has grown to do a lot more than its constitutional role. you have provided no evidence that they couldn't still perform their constitutional role given the funding levels after this amendment.

I don't have to provide you with evidence of anything. You acknowledge that the census is authorized by the constitution. It certainly can't happen for free.

I'd like to see you provide me with constitutional authority for $1 of taxpayer money going toward corporate welfare.

Just because you think the census department isn't being run efficiently (and I'm sure it isn't) doesn't mean it's acceptable to funnel its money into an unconstitutional corporate welfare scheme.

RonPaulRocksMyWorld
03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Anyone want to bet that if the choice was to cut the budget for both that both Paul and Amash wouldn't have voted to do so? :p