PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors...

Hobbery
02-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Hi guys. Thanks for the forum.

So I've had an idea kicking around in my head for a few days...

What if previously unknown, but well informed Libertarian candidates ran for congress on a pledge that they would mirror Ron Paul's votes...

Take a moment to consider it. We can't all have Ron Paul in our states and districts, but we could have principled people act as duplicates of him...

There would be no reason to lobby them, no reason to buy their support. They're bound to a promise to mirror the most uncompromisable man in government...

I realize that anonymous message forums are a great place to have ideas crushed by one liners, so I've tried to preempt a few here...

What if Ron Paul dies a week into the candidate's term? They pledge to adhere to the constitution as Ron Paul saw it. The congressman has expounded on his view for years. And further, they turn to (and adopt) Ron Paul's council...

What if Ron Paul promotes [insert something heinous!!!] Will the mirror candidate blindly follow...? This is a straw man, plain and simple. Ron Paul's record on human rights is impeccable. His integrity can't even be challenged...!!!

People Lie... All candidates lie this is true. But as far as measuring sticks of campaign promises are concerned, this is a easy measurement. They either follow Paul's record on every count, or they're exposed...

And "previously unknown, but well informed candidates" was worded to encompass complete new comers... It could be anyone. It could be you. Does anyone on this board doubt their own capacity to follow through in this one task...?

And even if the candidate only voted with Ron Paul 90% of the time, it would be a tremendous improvement over Dems or Neocons...

I closing... Please ask yourself this:

Would you rather vote for an embedded politician, or a complete unknown Libertarian who backs Ron Paul's ideas and promises to duplicate and support his efforts...?

This is either the best idea I've ever had, or the worst idea ever. Let me know what you think... :)

dannno
02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Well we already have a bit of that going on without the "mirror" language. You will notice that Ron Paul's views are very principled, and those who espouse the same type of principles will generally be supported by the liberty movement.

Most politicians spout off of a bunch of political rhetoric that is not based on any sort of principles, so this type of strategy would be more useful for that type of politician whereas we can work off of the principles of individual liberty, honest money and non-interventionism.

dannno
02-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Also, if Ron Paul was in the Senate, there's a good chance that he might take a different strategy or vote a different way on something as compared to his son Rand while both may still be able to maintain those same principles.

Hobbery
02-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Well we already have a bit of that going on without the "mirror" language. You will notice that Ron Paul's views are very principled, and those who espouse the same type of principles will generally be supported by the liberty movement.

Most politicians spout off of a bunch of political rhetoric that is not based on any sort of principles, so this type of strategy would be more useful for that type of politician whereas we can work off of the principles of individual liberty, honest money and non-interventionism.

Right. Thanks. ...so you didn't actually read it, huh. That's cool. It was a little bit lengthy...

nayjevin
02-22-2011, 05:39 AM
I would think the success would depend on how many candidates being pushed as mirrors of ron and how popular ron becomes in the mainstream. The current base of support is not large enough to support say, 100 mirrors. But starting with one - and not a person who is already a great candidate in their own right - but with a person who comes across honest and pledges only this task - may be a very good idea. Perhaps in a strong district with no other available candidates.

Nate-ForLiberty
02-22-2011, 06:06 AM
we don't need drones. Drones are what got us in this mess. We need free thinking, Liberty minded individuals who will vote on principle even if it means being the odd man out.

Creating a Ron Paul club is kind of the antithesis of that. Clubs can be co-opted. Just look at the Tea Party and every political party in America since its founding.

Hobbery
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
we don't need drones. Drones are what got us in this mess.

We don't have drones, we have opportunists. They each submit to different combinations of lobbies and interest groups... I doubt there are any 2 candidates (that have been around for a decade) with identical voting records...

We need free thinking, Liberty minded individuals who will vote on principle even if it means being the odd man out.

Sounds great. How's that been working out for us...

The point is that they espouse to share his principles... On how many votes would you have opposed Ron Paul's view?

Hobbery
02-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I would think the success would depend on how many candidates being pushed as mirrors of ron and how popular ron becomes in the mainstream.

I totally agree. I'm actually thinking there would be maybe 2 or 3 districts in the 534 (outside TX district 14) in the country... But a couple more Ron Pauls would be a pretty good thing, don't ya think?

If there isn't a flexible district in say, New Hampshire... what are those free-staters even doing up there...?

And again (speaking to everyone) I really don't think the biggest obstacle to implementing this would be an "attack of the clones" takeover of government... It's more like we may just get another real Libertarian... even just one.

realtonygoodwin
02-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Better to have people follow the Constitution. You can not put your faith in man, even as principled one as Ron Paul.

dannno
02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Right. Thanks. ...so you didn't actually read it, huh. That's cool. It was a little bit lengthy...

I was addressing the mirror voting aspect of your plan.. It's more important to mirror the principles than the votes, especially since he's getting older, no telling how long he will live for (hopefully until he's 100)

Krugerrand
02-22-2011, 12:26 PM
I would expect that any person who tried to win votes in a particular district by campaigning with a slogan "I will vote just like that person representing another district in another state" would lose terribly. The opposition would simply campaign on "I will vote to represent you and not oblige myself to represent Galveston, TX."

Hobbery
02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Better to have people follow the Constitution. You can not put your faith in man, even as principled one as Ron Paul.

Every congressman thinks they follow the constitution.

And I'll bet you would put your faith in Ron Paul...

Again, look at our progress so far... (not great) ...vs. 1 or 2 people like Ron Paul (they would obviously follow the constitution). I really don't think Ron Paul would immediately turn into the Emperor from Star Wars... America would just get 1 or 2 more people like him...

Hobbery
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
...campaigning with a slogan "I will vote just like that person representing another district in another state" would lose terribly.

Yep. That's a bad slogan... and a straw man. What if instead, they informed voters that there (so far) has never been a Ron Paul vote they disagreed with because their philosophy of government is nearly identical... Not an outright promise to be a clone, but urging that they can't imagine a topic they would deviate from Paul's record on... (not because they're a drone or a clone or a zombie...) but because they share Ron Paul's philosophy of government...

Does that sound better? ...And who would you vote for? Your current incumbent or a Ron Paul mirror...

Krugerrand
02-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Yep. That's a bad slogan... and a straw man. What if instead, they informed voters that there (so far) has never been a Ron Paul vote they disagreed with because their philosophy of government is nearly identical... Not an outright promise to be a clone, but urging that they can't imagine a topic they would deviate from Paul's record on... (not because they're a drone or a clone or a zombie...) but because they share Ron Paul's philosophy of government...

Does that sound better? ...And who would you vote for? Your current incumbent or a Ron Paul mirror...

While I think you'll get a good response to that question on RPF - I just don't see it as a winning campaign strategy. Have you noticed how disliked RP is by the GOP establishment? Promising to be like RP - while I'm not saying is bad - I just don't see winning elections. Even when you ask Ron Paul why he's so successful ... he says it's the message, it's Liberty. I think candidates would be better off mirroring the message than trying to mirror the man.

Nate-ForLiberty
02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah, don't feed this thread.

Hobbery
02-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah, don't feed this thread.

Too outside the box for you, Nate? Better not to even talk about it...?

It's just an idea to talk about... Don't be threatened.

Thinking abstractly is appropriate when you have 1 real Libertarian in ALL of congress and your country's facing fiscal collapse. Ideas about hail-mary passes aren't inappropriate right now. You're having your ass handed to you in the last 3 minutes of the game...

"don't feed this thread"... Don't be a political elitist. You haven't had enough successes for that.