PDA

View Full Version : internet being regulated (tv links)

spivey378
10-23-2007, 11:08 AM
the internet is under attack with many movie and music sites going down in the last few days.

we could maybe use this to our advantage with paul's anti regulation of the net

any ideas?

me3
10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure that Dr. Paul endorses copyright infringement. This is a tricky subject to engage in because I know he believes in property rights.

spivey378
10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
i know, but look at youtube and what it has brought.

its a thought. the frustration is there though, and we could use it to our advantage.

next, it will be tiered systems

angelatc
10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
I think that after something is broadcast over the public ariwaves it should be public domain. Problem solved.

JimDude
10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Sorry, im a little confused here, In what ways is the internet being currently being regulated? What specific laws are you referring to?

Is this about copyright laws? It might be a bit of a stretch to say enforcing copyright laws are regulating the internet. I dont think it should be confused with "internet regulation."

runderwo
10-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure if I've seen any of Paul's writings on copyright, but he opposed the DMCA.

I'm certain he would be in favor of reducing copyright terms to something more reasonable. Simple reasoning for that: longer copyright terms enrich corporations at the expense of the taxpayer, who has to subsidize the enforcement of those copyrights; the consumer, who has to fend off the police while attempting to make fair use of what he has purchased; and the citizen, whose access and unfettered use of information publishing and dissemination tools is being hampered because 'some' uses of those tools hurt copyright interests.

All in the name of preserving the revenue stream for more Hollywood blockbuster sequels.

The corporations are always going to lobby for longer copyrights and refer to them as property rights, because they aren't the ones who in the end have to subsidize the externalities that longer copyrights cause because they are NOT natural property, but a phantom property created and sustained by the state.

freelance
10-23-2007, 12:01 PM
I think that after something is broadcast over the public ariwaves it should be public domain. Problem solved.

Unfortunately, "what you think" and "what is" may not be the same thing--as in this case. Those of us who create for a living have a healthy respect for copyright law--whatever it states and whether or not we think it's too restrictive. There's fair us and there's stealing, and I doubt seriously if Dr. Paul would endorse stealing.

inibo
10-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately, "what you think" and "what is" may not be the same thing--as in this case. Those of us who create for a living have a healthy respect for copyright law--whatever it states and whether or not we think it's too restrictive. There's fair us and there's stealing, and I doubt seriously if Dr. Paul would endorse stealing.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm curious if you think current copyright laws are too restrictive. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly the last change, extending them to something like 70 years, just happened to be enacted right before Steamboat Willy was due to go into the public domain. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it certainly seems like the current law was written for the benefit of the Disney Corporation.